Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
dentheman

motorcycle vs scooter helmets, is there a difference?

I am looking at helmets on-line. I like the design of the HCI 16 with its retractable sun visor, but some sites list it as a motorcycle helmet while others describe it as an 'Italian style scooter helmet'. Is there a difference, or is it just a play on words? I know not to buy a helmet without trying it on first.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: motorcycle vs scooter helmets, is there a difference?

It is a DOT 3/4 helmet. Wear it on a bike or scooter. I personally prefer a full face helmet for the added crash protection so just don't fall on your face. Better yet don't fall.
There are other helmets with internal sun visors that are full face or modular style on the market that are not overly expensive. I can't tell you what to wear but please be aware that many accidents involve a face plant.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
dentheman

I have been looking, but don't see many with that retractable sun visor that still allows the clear visor to stay down. Do you have any recommendations of others I should look at?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Sunglasses.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Sunglasses.
I already wear eyeglasses and don't have prescription sunglasses. That flip down sun visor just seems so much more convenient to me. But it does bring up the question whether the eyglasses will get in the way of the visor. EDIT: I don't care for the helmets with graphics.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
New GZ250

Mine has a sun visor, but is full face and not cheap. There are many out there, just spend some time researching. I won't wear anything but a full face helmet, want to protect the front of my head, not just the back! Price doesn't mean much, as long as it is DOT approved, fit and comfort and ease of use for the sun visor are important things to consider. Also I won't order online until I tried one on to my liking, without trying it on it is just a gamble is you truly would be happy with it! I tried many on, cheaper and more expensive, I went with the one that felt the best.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx
:popcorn:
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Sarris

Some Nolan helmets have a retractable tinted shield behind the clear. Google "Nolan Helmets"

I have a Nolan 3/4 helmet (a really good product) that I use in the winter, but mostly I use a DOT police style 1/2 helmet.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

It's not just Nolen. Scorpion and Shoei have them too. If you buy last year's model, then you can pick them up pretty cheap.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
dentheman

Thanks for the inputs. I did more searching and found a few, including full faced, but I am a little concerned full face will get too hot in the west Texs summers. Aren't they all DOT or Snell approved? I ask because both my bicycle helmets are ANSI approved and I know a bicycle helmet cannot even be sold in the US unless it is approved by ANSI or perhaps some other testing Lab.

I still like the HCI 16 - style, visor, and especially price are important considerations - if it will fit. I don't need one with communications built in and don't want to pay for something I don't need.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Go to webbikeworld for some excellant product reports with real world results. HJC also makes some good helmets with interior visors. You might also consider the suggestion of sunglasses. Clip-ons for your present glasses or even transition lenses next time. Experience has taught me to get the stuff that works best and not settle for an almost good enough item.