Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
waya

Training Videos

As it has been so long since I have been on a bike, and I have decided that I am doing things backwards... I am looking at getting some training videos.

What do you think of the following ones? Are there better ones? Good enough? Start here and then get others?

[hr:2tfr48la][/hr:2tfr48la]

Learn to Ride the Easy Way - DVD - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Preview:

Ride Like a Pro DVD Vol. 5 - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Preview:

Surviving the Mean Streets - DVD - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Preview:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Training Videos

Any of the above are probably great. My 2 suggestions are: #1 Get into a rider training course. #2 Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is the bible of motorcycling and worth it's weight in gold.
Videos themselves are really neat because they are actual proof that seemingly impossible stuff can be done with practice on any bike. The riders in the vids are also enthusiastic riders and are savvy enough to explain the reasoning behind their abilities. Their running commentary is the real teaching tool with visual backups.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Any of the above are probably great. My 2 suggestions are: #1 Get into a rider training course.

Not really an option. Timing conflicts.

I think I would prefer the video approach, because it will allow me to make sense out of the what is being described as what to do and what the expected outcome should look like.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I can understand the riding course conflict but surely you can read a little now and again. Every little bit helps and you will improve your skills far faster.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I can understand the riding course conflict but surely you can read a little now and again. Every little bit helps and you will improve your skills far faster.
Didn't say I wasn't going to read anything.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Oops, I was speed reading again and got ahead of myself. My bad.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
waya

Ordered the three vids and the referenced book from Amazon...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
BillInGA

Hough's book is very good. I finally read it after riding for nearly 5 years.

I hesitate to admit this, but I haven't taken the MSF course. I fully intended to, but I never seemed to "find" the time. Plus, it's on the opposite side the the city - not a minor thing in Atlanta.

But, what I did do, even before I took my MC permit written test, is read everything I could find on the internet regarding motorcycle training and safety. I studied motorcycle fatality statistics - not just nationally, but also in my local area. I wanted to have a clear understanding of what the threats to a motorcyclist are and how to mitigate those threats. One site that I really got a lot out of is http://www.msgroup.org. There are many articles which I found invaluable.

Practice is also vital. When I brought my bike home (on a trailer) I knew the theory of how to ride, but had no practice. I spent hours in my office parking lot learning how to operate the bike and practicing maneuvering. As others have said, anyone can go fast in a straight line. It takes real skill to do a tight turn at slow speed.

One of the most important things I learned is that you tend to go where you look. If you fixate on a threat, that's where you'll end up. I developed a mantra that I say to myself even to this day: look to safety. It means don't fixate on the threat, but look for your way out. Find the threat and then have a plan to avoid it.

Just remember to take it easy, understand your limitations and do your best not to exceed them. Oh, and ride like you're invisible to cars, because you are.

Edited for typos
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Plus, it's on the opposite side the the city - not a minor thing in Atlanta.
Yes... I noticed the odd placements of the courses....

Quote:
When I brought my bike home (on a trailer) I knew the theory of how to ride, but had no practice.
20 years or so ago I rode, and because of the short distance on non-expressway to my house (1.6 miles), I just practiced up a little in the neighborhood behind WOW then took it home that way. $75 to deliver a bike 1.6 miles seems a little out of whack.

Quote:
I spent hours in my office parking lot learning how to operate the bike and practicing maneuvering. As others have said, anyone can go fast in a straight line. It takes real skill to do a tight turn at slow speed.
There is a parking lot next to a billiards and a hair salon on Roswell next to I-75 that has a normally large empty section that I plan on doing that in. (Presuming someone doesn't suddenly decide that the empty space must stay empty)

Quote:
One of the most important things I learned is that you tend to go where you look. If you fixate a threat, that's where you'll end up. I developed a mantra that I say to myself even to this day: look to safety. It means don't fixate on the threat, but look for your way out. Find the threat and then have a plan to avoid it.
Yes... that is on the videos. After purchasing them, I downloaded the ride like a pro one and have started practicing a little the first two exercises. Friction thing and basic weave thing.

Quote:
Just remember to take it easy, understand you limitations and do your best not to exceed them. Oh, and ride like you're invisible to cars, because you are.
I think in my car it feels like I am invisible to other cars half the time.

And after practicing a little today, it felt so weird to get into my car....

And gotta figure out how to stop my goggles from fogging up or get ones that won't. Lots of fast moving air + contact lenses means unhappy eyes and poor vision.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by waya
And after practicing a little today, it felt so weird to get into my car....

And gotta figure out how to stop my goggles from fogging up or get ones that won't. Lots of fast moving air + contact lenses means unhappy eyes and poor vision.
After doing a lot of riding and then getting back in the car I still try to wave at other motorcycles as they pass. I keep hitting my hand on the car door.

I normally wear glasses, but I've ridden with contacts. I use a full-face helmet and I didn't feel like I needed goggles under the face shield. There are also wrap around sunglasses for motorcyclists that act like goggles. Maybe they wouldn't fog up as easily, but I don't know since I've never tried them.