Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
chandlerbingfl

Re: Attempting to adjust the valves, questions...

Well quick update....nothing has worked. I tried WD-40, PB Blaster, the coin, the spark plug gapper and it will not budge....

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks!
chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine

Yes a build up of oil & water vapors from the crank case.

.........So why don't the American bikes have a crank case ventilation system, like my European GZ? :??:
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl

Another question - why is there so much gunk in the air housing drain tube? Is that all just a build up of old oil?

Thanks again!
chandlerbingfl
Yes a build up of oil & water vapors from the crank case.
:cool:
But isn't this an air INTAKE??? Wouldn't pressure flowing into the carb/engine prevent this? Just wondering..

chandlerbingfl
The air intake is at the front of the air filter.Thats also why the plug must be replaced after the airbox is drained.
:cool:

Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
PG tips

I thought the air was pulled through the breather hose from the crankcase towards the intake, meaning there must be some ventilation inlet somewhere?
hence why inlet screens get oily as the oil mist lands on it as it passes the screen/filter mesh on the way to the manifold inlet, or in the case of the GZ ends up drained down into the tube in the inlet assy.

After reading the wiki page (which despite hearing otherwise, I usually find informative and accurate) has confused me as it seems to suggest the air is going the other way (in its car example)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ ... ion_system.

I was never quite well up on breather hoses, years ago they were explained to me as equalizing pressure in different parts of an engine crankcase (as it wouldn't be possible to seal an engine up entirely)
after I found out
that they're to extract gases, unburned products, oil and water vapours cleanly.

I think both are accurate though?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
raul10141964

I use the spark plug gapper and a vice grip to hold it

Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

PG, can't explain it fully but you may want to adjust your thinking due to one odd fact with the GZ. The air flow is opposite of most other vehicles. The fresh air enters the inside of the filter and passes to the outside of it. The air is then inside the sealed air box and has to go to the intake of the carb. The mung and residues are from engine blowby and will normally be sucked into the engine through the carb/intake system. Anything you find in the air box is likely just too heavy for the airflow to pick up. That is the reason for the airbox drain tube and it's plug.
Modern engines can be a sealed system but have check valves and other sophisticated controls to allow them to run properly. Motorcycles do not have to meet the very strick regulations that cars do so their systems are less sophisticated and old school.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
PG tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
PG, can't explain it fully but you may want to adjust your thinking due to one odd fact with the GZ. The air flow is opposite of most other vehicles. The fresh air enters the inside of the filter and passes to the outside of it. The air is then inside the sealed air box and has to go to the intake of the carb. The mung and residues are from engine blowby and will normally be sucked into the engine through the carb/intake system. Anything you find in the air box is likely just too heavy for the airflow to pick up. That is the reason for the airbox drain tube and it's plug.
Modern engines can be a sealed system but have check valves and other sophisticated controls to allow them to run properly. Motorcycles do not have to meet the very strick regulations that cars do so their systems are less sophisticated and old school.
Hope this helps a little.
I had a look at the filter (and removed it), I noticed the intake is at the centre alright, I wasn't really aware that the airflow direction was unusual on the GZ (very little experience on motorbikes and their maintenance really or anything with a cylindrical filter, most of what I have come across has a flat filter or a different type of filtering). I also had some oil residue in the tube on mine and a slight smell of petrol in my airbox. On a side note, I can see now that without the plug, the inlet could either lose some of its low pressure? (vacuum) or pull in extra unfiltered air. I've read somewhere here that it will run rough without the plug.

Regarding the breather hose, what i was meaning was I had always thought the blowby came from the crankcase up the breather hose towards the airbox in all vehicle types.
It is just the wiki page seems to describe the blowby travelling the other way?? and thinking about it again,in some cases it could so long as it picks up contaminants and is entered back into the inlet airstream. I know it is a description for cars, I'd assume the principle is the same, just that it is more refined for cars likely due to emissions and regulations).

Thats all getting away from the GZ, so back again

I was wondering, if air is being pulled up the breather hose due to the low pressure in the airbox, then surely there must be another (presumably mesh covered metered) hole in the crankcase to allow this air in?

Or am I still getting this wrong
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

I honestly don't know how the blowby gets to the air box. I never dug into a GZ to find out. Some one with actual experience will chime in shortly to teach us both. I will also look at the GZ fiche file at Ronayers to see if it can help.

Found the answer. There is a hose from the air box to the crank case.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
OldNTired

Quote:
I actually get to see more Eagles in this area. Real Eagles with feathers and sharp talons. They fly down here from Alaska every year for the winter. The Eagle count volunteers started last week and have positive comments. Lots of early arrivals and the fish/food supply is abundant this year.
Lucky man! The closest (living) Eagles to me are at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, many miles from here.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired
Quote:
I actually get to see more Eagles in this area. Real Eagles with feathers and sharp talons. They fly down here from Alaska every year for the winter. The Eagle count volunteers started last week and have positive comments. Lots of early arrivals and the fish/food supply is abundant this year.
Lucky man! The closest (living) Eagles to me are at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, many miles from here.
I'll have to make a point of going to view the Eagles soon. The largest numbers are sometime in January from what I hear so I'll make more than one trip across town. I wish I could figure out how Lynda's DSLR works and I could take a pic with real eye popping clarity across the river.