Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #61
mole2

Re: Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
I wear a full face modular helmet, and I wanted to go to the a 3/4 helmet for summer. It's lighter for the heat and probably much more comfortable than my full face modular helmet. However, I was out on a long ride yesterday, and all kinds of bugs were smashing into my wind visor. When I arrived, I had to clean off my visor and when I drove back home I had to clean it again. I can only imagine what my face would have looked like all bugged up had I not had the visor to catch the bugs. The same went for all the bugs I felt impacting my mesh jacket. Literally smacking my arms and my legs. Without the proper gear, I would have had bug juice and stingers everywhere. So, I've decided to continue wearing ATGATT. I choose not to be the "bug lady."
My Vega 3/4 helmet has a flip up face shield. I only wear it when it gets unbearably hot during the summer and prefer my modular full face helmet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #62
burkbuilds

Well, I'm gonna jump in here even though I'll probably get blasted for it.
I own and wear about every type of helmet out there. I've got full modular, down to "skullcaps". They all give you more protection than no helmet at all. I recently had a very bad accident from which I will be 6-9 months recovering. I broke lots of bones and tore ligaments and even managed a little road rash. I was wearing a small skullcap helmet which only came down to just above my ears. Even though I was slammed down on my right side and sandwiched between the bike and the pavement my head never hit the ground. As I slid across the asphalt I picked up a few scratch marks on the right side of the helmet but otherwise no damage to it. If I had not had the helmet on I think I would have gotten some really bad cuts, scrapes and road rash on my head and face and I might have even ripped my ear off. I'm glad I had the helmet on. Even though I was seriously injured, I did not sustain any injuries that might have endangered my life. No head trauma, no internal bleeding (well some bruises but nothing serious) and I did not damage any internal organs. The major injuries I received were due to impacts, first my leg was sandwiched between the bike and asphalt and finally I dropped about 4' into a ditch and landed on some big rocks which broke 5 ribs and shattered my shoulder blade.
How different would my injuries have been if I'd had a full helmet on, probably none, but only because of the way I went down. In a different type of spill the style of helmet might have made a big difference in the amount of damage done to my head and face. I don't know of any gear that would have saved the leg break with adjacent ligament damage and it's unlikely that much would have prevented the damage done to my ribs and shoulder although it is possible that some hard shell armor over thick padding might have saved me from the fractures, but the angle I landed on those rocks and the pinpoint pressure exerted by the pointy rocks makes me think it would not have helped much.
I'm not opposed to wearing protective gear, but I do think we do ourselves a disservice if we con ourselves into believing we are somehow safe or invincible because we are wearing protective gear or a high dollar helmet. Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. If you are in an accident you will probably be injured and if you are in a high impact collision all that gear and helmet will do is save the emergency crew a lot of time scraping up your body parts but you will still be dead in most cases. All I'm saying is this, don't think you won't be injured in an accident because you are ATGATT and that causes you to let your guard down or ride carelessly or recklessly. Your best protection is your brain, use it to avoid situations where you are most likely to be involved in an accident. Don't do things like drink and ride, speed excessively and do dumb stunts like wheelies on the interstate and weaving in and out of traffic. Keep your eyes open for vehicles approaching from side streets and keep your head on a swivel near intersections, and don't assume that just because you've driven a car without an accident for decades that you can just jump on a motorcycle without any further training and instruction and go riding all over the place. At the very least read some books on safe motorcycling and preferably attend some classes where they teach riding skills.

Once you've done all that realize that after you've done everything in your power to ride safely and be aware of dangers around you can still have a couple of dogs run out from a blind driveway and knock the front wheel out from under your bike and you'll go down, (that is what got me).

I plan to ride again, although it might be as long as a year before I'm physically able to handle two wheels again. I love to ride, and I realize the risks and I'm willing to take them even when I have to pay for it like I am now.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #63
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
I wear a full face modular helmet, and I wanted to go to the a 3/4 helmet for summer. It's lighter for the heat and probably much more comfortable than my full face modular helmet. However, I was out on a long ride yesterday, and all kinds of bugs were smashing into my wind visor. When I arrived, I had to clean off my visor and when I drove back home I had to clean it again. I can only imagine what my face would have looked like all bugged up had I not had the visor to catch the bugs. The same went for all the bugs I felt impacting my mesh jacket. Literally smacking my arms and my legs. Without the proper gear, I would have had bug juice and stingers everywhere. So, I've decided to continue wearing ATGATT. I choose not to be the "bug lady."
I have a open face helmet with faceshield and sun visor, yes the faceshield gets covered with bugs, hit by rocks, etc. But the thing that has me now looking for a modular helmet is that I keep feeling tiny invisible UFO's hitting my chin below the faceshield of the open face. (I am now spoiled by the sun visor and will never get a helmet without that feature.)

Also, my motorcycle jacket gets splattered with bugs to the point that I take it to the back yard and hose it off. Only a windshield will help that.

But this thread raises a question: Do full face or modular helmets REALLY GET HOT ENOUGH TO GO TO OPEN FACE in the Summer? If the bike is moving, doesn't the airflow through it keep it cool, and at a standstill, doesn't that thick layer of padding insulate from the heat? Maybe wearing a damp HeadSweats skullcap under the helmet would make a difference, I always wear mine under my open face helmet (dry when cool, moist when hot). Oh, I bought the white helmet to help reflect the sun's heat (and for visibility), maybe that would also make a difference with a full face helmet.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #64
Water Warrior 2

Well said BB. You are right about ATGATT too. It won't make anyone invincible to harm but it may well lesson the body damage. A few bruises or better than broken parts in my book.
Overall it is all about the personal choices we make. I used to get worried about a couple local riding buddies that wore a helmet only without any other moto specific gear. I had to force myself not to start preaching about safety and "what if" scenarios. I finally put myself in their position. Yup, comfy on hot days and no getting all dressed up like a power ranger to go for a ride. I would honestly like to have that option but I have a serious self-preservation instinct which has so far served me well over the years.
I have tested some forms of armor off road years ago and know armor works. I have yet to test anything on the street. I am grateful to my Guardian Angel for flying by my side every ride.
BB, hope your recovery goes well for you. It will be a long one from the sounds of it but I know you can and will endure the worst of it with flying colors. Take care.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #65
Water Warrior 2

Dentheman. I always wear a FF helmet. Yes they are a bit warm on a hot day but most have reasonable air vents for a bit of cooling. I have ridden in 90+ F temps and have never had sweat running down my face or neck. When in stop/go traffic the top of my heat gets a bit damp but that is all. Once moving I never really notice the heat, but I will notice a drop in temps more readily with the vents open.
Most helmets have removable washable liners if things get bad.
Lynda started out with a 3/4 helmet with a shield because a FF made her feel too boxed in. After seeing the diagram from the Doc about head injuries and the % in various areas she bought a modular and learned to love it. I wound up giving away Lynda's first helmet to a gal who needed something better than the junk she was wearing. Made her very happy.
Getting back to the heat subject. You have to cool your entire body to keep your core temp at a safe level. That is why I wear mesh and/or vented gear. If the core temp goes up you will cook your brain a bit in a helmet.
Oddly enough I am comfy with insulated WP riding boots with smart wool socks and leather gauntlets year round.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #66
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Dentheman. I always wear a FF helmet. Yes they are a bit warm on a hot day but most have reasonable air vents for a bit of cooling. I have ridden in 90+ F temps and have never had sweat running down my face or neck. When in stop/go traffic the top of my heat gets a bit damp but that is all. Once moving I never really notice the heat, but I will notice a drop in temps more readily with the vents open.
Most helmets have removable washable liners if things get bad.
Lynda started out with a 3/4 helmet with a shield because a FF made her feel too boxed in. After seeing the diagram from the Doc about head injuries and the % in various areas she bought a modular and learned to love it. I wound up giving away Lynda's first helmet to a gal who needed something better than the junk she was wearing. Made her very happy.
Getting back to the heat subject. You have to cool your entire body to keep your core temp at a safe level. That is why I wear mesh and/or vented gear. If the core temp goes up you will cook your brain a bit in a helmet.
Oddly enough I am comfy with insulated WP riding boots with smart wool socks and leather gauntlets year round.
I always wear helmet, earplugs, armored/padded gloves, and armored/padded mesh jacket; even on the hot days heat has not been much of a problem. I have also looked into the armored mesh 'long underwear' to go under jeans, but I haven't made a decision on that.

Concerning sweat running down face and neck: I had that problem when riding my bicycles, so I bought the HeadSweats which cured that problem. I find it works just as well under a motorcycle helmet, and the top of my head never gets damp from sweat when wearing it. I don't know how well it would work on a full head of hair.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #67
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I have also looked into the armored mesh 'long underwear' to go under jeans, but I haven't made a decision on that.
I have some armored, er.. underwear, that I use when wearing regular pants. It's very easy to wear and I barely notice being hot. Mine are only shorts so I also wear motocross knee/shin pads.

I know it isn't as good as cordura riding pants, but those are, frankly, plastic and they get very hot in the sun.

Oh, and I've never tried using the modular open when riding. The vents are quite adequate, and when I stop at a light or something, I open the visor a half inch or so to get more air. Haven't had a problem, though the temps are only just getting to the 90's here. Dunno if I'll be singing the same tune when it's 110+ here for 10 days in a row like it usually gets.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
dentheman

Another thought just occurred to me. I have some form fitting T shirts of moisture wicking material that I wore under my bicycle jerseys. They work by absorbing sweat, then moving it to the surface where it evaporates, causing the cooling. I know they will keep my core cooler under my mesh jacket than the cotton T shirts I have been wearing. In fact, if I moisten them first they feel downright cold when there is airflow.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #69
mrlmd1

To keep cool - wear a perforated jacket and you can always try one of those evaporative vests (soak in water before you ride, lasts a few hours) or one of those chemical vests you put in the fridge for a while before you ride (forgot what you call them right now). Full face helmets are not any hotter than 3/4 - if your body is hot, your head is hot. Most of them have pretty good ventilation and you can always crack open the visor to increase airflow. The color of the outer shell makes very little difference in the internal temperature. IMO, the tradeoff in lack of protection to your face and chin is not worth the perceived difference in a "cooler" open face 3/4 helmet. What is comes down to is how much risk are you willing to assume, or do you try and get the best protection possible for this dangerous activity.
BB was just lucky in how he hit the ground - he could have done much more severe damage to himself. His helmet protected him where he impacted, and a few inches south it could have been a lot worse, and we're all glad it wasn't.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #70
Water Warrior 2

Just remembered an old trick I read about that some dirt riders have used in hot sweaty conditions. Never tried it myself but it probably worked for a while. If you have a particularly wet forehead you need something to soak up the moisture. A ladies panty liner stuck into the helmet at the forehead location is supposed to work. Anyone willing to try it and report back ??? :biggrin: :biggrin: