Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
blaine

Re: 1993 Vulcan 500

Looking good,Fawlty.I like the look of the older Vulcan compared to the newer one.More of the same style as my 454.Cast wheels & belt drive.
:2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Looking good,Fawlty.I like the look of the older Vulcan compared to the newer one.More of the same style as my 454.Cast wheels & belt drive.
:2tup:
Thanks Blaine. Yes I agree. I think the earlier models have more of a retro look. I am looking to find something to try and clean up the wheels and the cast parts, they are a little oxidised, so I think it will be difficult. Also, the right hand muffler has some blueing spots, but from what I have read so far, they are virtually impossible to remove. I like the idea of the belt drive, being cleaner and less maintenance, the only down side is the cost of a replacement. Having said that the bike has only done 15000 miles, but it is 22 years old.(I did initially think it was a 93, but it turned out to be a 91 that was imported to Spain in 93.

When I was out today I did notice a very slight hesitation when accelerating at higher revs, barely noticeable, but there. Do you think the worn valve sets may have something to do with that? Apart from that I love the bike so far. It is fast, but handles very well.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
alantf

Have you had a bike ITV'd lately? They're doing an exhaust loudness check with a meter, at 4000 RPM these days. Mine's due on the 13th of this month. It passed last time. :2tup:

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Have you had a bike ITV'd lately? They're doing an exhaust loudness check with a meter, at 4000 RPM these days. Mine's due on the 13th of this month. It passed last time. :2tup:
Yes. I had my GZ tested at the end of March. They did the noise test and it passed no probs. You should be ok. I don't know what it's like in Tenerife, but round here it amazes me how some of the bikes, and other vehicles for that matter, pass the test, particularly the noise part.

Talking of the ITV test. I have come across a strange anomaly with this Vulcan. The Ficha Tecnica shows the rear tyre size incorrectly as 140/90-13, when it should be 140/90-15. I didn't clock this until after I had bought it. Did a bit of research on the Spanish forums and discovered that this error occurs on other 1991 Vulcan 500s. This was picked up recently by an ITV station and they failed one bike, even though it was quite obviously the factory wheel fitted and it would be impossible to fit a 140/19-13. They acknowledged that it was an error on the Ficha Tecnica but still failed it. They advised the Spanish owner to get a certificate from Kawasaki, stating the correct tyre size and then submit the Ficha Tecnica for amendment. The owner reckons Kawasaki wanted 100 Euros for the certificate and then there is a further charge for amending the Ficha.

My Vulcan doesn't need testing until March 2014. I spoke to the previous owner, who is a Spanish local police officer, and he told me he had never had a problem regarding this. However, I have noticed on my Ficha tecnica, that the correct rear tyre size has been pencilled in by someone. MIght be fun and games next March, we will see. In the meantime I have written to Kawasaki Espana, asking them to supply me with a letter on official letterhead, clarifying the correct size.

Don't you just love the Spanish bureaucracy! 'Ya veremos' as they say.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty

When I was out today I did notice a very slight hesitation when accelerating at higher revs, barely noticeable, but there. Do you think the worn valve sets may have something to do with that? Apart from that I love the bike so far. It is fast, but handles very well.
Yes they might.Have you tried running any carb cleaner through a tank of fuel?
:cool:

Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
burkbuilds

Hey man, congratulations on the 500, great bike. I had the newer version but I also thought the older style was better and I think they mainly changed things to keep the price down, not to improve on the design. The 500 will run with the big dogs any day. I put over 45,000 miles on my 500, mainly running the freeway. I'm currently riding a Vulcan 900, and although it has a lot of torque and it's a very nice bike, there's no way it could keep up with the 500 on the highway. Those in line engines were made to go fast and rev high. By the way there is a site modeled after this one specifically for the Vulcan 500, it is http://vulcan500.com/ and is specifically for that bike. Hopefully I haven't broken any rules by posting that.
I found that I didn't have any trouble with the carbs as long as I rode it a lot, they don't like to sit. Try some fuel injector cleaner/carb cleaner for a couple of tanks and that should take care of any deposits or gum that might be giving you any issues. I think you are going to love this bike, it is one of the best designs I've owned. I'm not saying there isn't anything better or that there's no room for improvement, but the bike overall is a great bike. Your version with the gage package and belt drive and the aluminum wheels is superior to the later versions of the 500 in my opinion. I actually switched my wheels over to the ones from your model and added a tachometer to my handlebars.
Enjoy the bike.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:

Yes they might.Have you tried running any carb cleaner through a tank of fuel?
:cool:
Yes, I am running with some additive/cleaner safe for carbs. You cannot get Seafoam over here.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #18
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Hey man, congratulations on the 500, great bike. I had the newer version but I also thought the older style was better and I think they mainly changed things to keep the price down, not to improve on the design. The 500 will run with the big dogs any day. I put over 45,000 miles on my 500, mainly running the freeway. I'm currently riding a Vulcan 900, and although it has a lot of torque and it's a very nice bike, there's no way it could keep up with the 500 on the highway. Those in line engines were made to go fast and rev high. By the way there is a site modeled after this one specifically for the Vulcan 500, it is http://vulcan500.com/ and is specifically for that bike. Hopefully I haven't broken any rules by posting that.
I found that I didn't have any trouble with the carbs as long as I rode it a lot, they don't like to sit. Try some fuel injector cleaner/carb cleaner for a couple of tanks and that should take care of any deposits or gum that might be giving you any issues. I think you are going to love this bike, it is one of the best designs I've owned. I'm not saying there isn't anything better or that there's no room for improvement, but the bike overall is a great bike. Your version with the gage package and belt drive and the aluminum wheels is superior to the later versions of the 500 in my opinion. I actually switched my wheels over to the ones from your model and added a tachometer to my handlebars.
Enjoy the bike.
Thanks Burkbuilds. I certainly like it so far. Running some carb cleaner through at the moment. I will check out the forum link. I am also a member here, http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/index.php. They have a dedicated 500 section and Blaine is also a regular poster.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:

Yes, I am running with some additive/cleaner safe for carbs. You cannot get Seafoam over here.
Yes, like you, I've been using Alcampo's (or 3M when they run out) fuel additive for the last six years, with no problems. :2tup: