Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
deputydogg2763

First 2.5 hour ride

I will be taking my first long ride, 2.5 hours on my GZ this Friday. I will be going from Memphis, TN to Searcy, AR. I am looking forward to the ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some useful tips or info they would like to pass on. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: First 2.5 hour ride

2.5 hours isn't too bad. Some forum members have had ass issues - I think it depends on your waist (and ass) size. I'd say if your waist is north of 34", you should plan on a rest stop about halfway. Otherwise, you can probably hammer it all the way through. You'll find that a long ride like this will greatly automate much of the routine aspects of riding, so make sure you stay clean on the basics: Hand and foot on the brake, downshift coming up to a stop, clean, smooth shifting up through the gears, pay attention to your blinker and so on. Whatever you are doing will become the default habit so avoid sloppiness. Fill up before you go and you should be able to go the distance without having to look for gas.

If you are prone to getting hungry or light headed on the road, check out GU. It's a gel that is marketed to marathon runners, gives a blast of energy that lasts for at least 45 minutes. $1.50 a pop in most running stores. If you are moderately coordinated, you can get one down through the face shield of a full lid. I always keep a couple with me on long rides. There's a flavor called Espresso Love that has a nice blast of caffeine if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydogg2763
I was just wondering if anyone had some useful tips or info they would like to pass on. :2tup:
Even if you are sloppy like me and check your tire pressure with your foot.. ...THIS is one time that you really should check it with a gauge......a couple of days before the ride, so you have time to fix any surprises.

Stop every hour, even if you don't think you need to. You might be surprised at the "kinks" you will find when you climb off; if not, then hop back on and forge ahead.

Good to take a little liquid every hour or so too. Riding in the wind, you lose more moisture than normal, regardless of the temperature (worse when hot, of course).

Catch up on routine maint. items you may have been neglecting (if any) like chain adjustment and lubrication.

Watch out for DEER!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I will be taking my first long ride, 2.5 hours on my GZ this Friday. I will be going from Memphis, TN to Searcy, AR. I am looking forward to the ride. I was just wondering if anyone had some useful tips or info they would like to pass on. :2tup:
Probably will take more than 2.5 hrs. I don't know the exact # of miles but I am willing to bet you normally would take that amount of time in a cage. The GZ will take longer unless you try to ride full throttle most of the time. Take at least 2 rest stops and smell the flowers. Have a drink, down a granola bar and stand or walk around a bit. It is not really the destination but is all about the ride. Take a camera, stop and record your trip.
The one thing I have come to realize is a body will give you a false sense of comfort. If I keep riding without an hourly break I really hurt later and my riding safety sense goes away at times. Don't try to tough out the weather either. If cold, stop and warm up. If hot, stop in the shade and have a drink. Sometimes it is just too easy to keep riding and that is the time to stop.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
deputydogg2763

Well, I made it back in one piece, and so did the bike. JK. The ride went great. I went through the entire checklist and checked everything twice. I filled up on gas before I left and headed out. I had to be on the interstate for about 10 miles, then got off it first chance I got. I have made this same trip about a hundred (literally) times in a cage so I know all the short cuts and speed traps, not that I was worried about the latter though. I had a nice little hydration pack that I left in the fridge the night before, so I was able to sip as I went. Nothin like a little cold water to keep the whistle wet. I actually was planning on stopping some along the way, but I was enjoying the ride too much. Beautiful scenery as the leaves started changing. I had a beautiful day to ride on too, Partly cloudy, temp about 70. I have two little things that I would fix for next time I ride, or would suggest to others, Use chapstick, it is amazing how quickly your lips get chapped while riding. Also, invest in a throttle lock, My right arm was the only thing that got really tired. As far as the sore ass part, That wasn't a problem, considering I ride around in a squad car for most of the 8 hour shift. On the way back it was about 65 deg., and had just rained a few hours before, so the colors were very vibrant. My regret when I came back was the fact that I came into Memphis right at rush hour and every one in a hurry to get home. The trip took right at 2.5 hours, maybe a little longer, but the nice thing was I couldn't see my watch, couldn't look at the cell phone, just got to get away without worrying if I was on time or not. That is a very wonderful feeling. I know that I will make several more trips, whether they are 2.5 hours or 1.5 hours, it doesn't matter to me. It def. made me very glad that I have a bike that I can ride, whether it is just commuting back and forth to work, or taking a little trip. Thanks for your helpful tips and info. :cool:

Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Sounds like a good time. I am prone to chapped lips, especially when I go skiing, but I haven't had an issue on the bike yet. Perhaps because I have full face shield on the moto helmet and a 3/4 helmet for the slopes.

I do find my nose gets itchy behind the plastic. I've gotten pretty good at flipping it up, getting in a scratch and flipping it back down in between shifts, even at 55 mph.

The weather, especially overall visibility, sunshine and lack of wind, have a big impact on the level of enjoyability. I've been pretty fortunate on most of my rides so far. I did one where it rained a bit, and that does make things more tense.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Also, invest in a throttle lock, My right arm was the only thing that got really tired.
75 cents at any hardware store! :cool:
Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Okay, so now you have made me more than envious. Sounds like a ride to repeat when needed. Went through Memphis last year in a cage and will agree on the wild traffic. As for a throttle lock you might want to try a throttle rocker. Both Lynda and I have them and they do make a difference to the comfort/fatigue level of the entire arm. Get them for both left and right sides if you want. Also try Grip Puppies for a larger softer grip that will soak up any vibration. They just slip over the regular grip. Velcro throttle rockers work well with them too.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Also try Grip Puppies for a larger softer grip that will soak up any vibration.
Yes, almost forgot about that. Highly recommended. I HATE those skinny grips.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
mrlmd1

Alan, try scratching your nose from underneath the face shield/chin guard on the helmet with the visor in place. Most of the time you can reach where it itches and not catch the wind with the open shield and distract yourself from the riding safely to try and open it.