Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Skunkhome

Dang! Got my first tank dent today!

No, I did not drop the bike, not the gz250 anyway. I was in the shed which is overfill of stuff and I stepped over the saddle and put my foot down on what I thought was the peg.....bam the $25 mountain bike that was standing next to my new toy slammed into the side of the tank. I was stepping in the peddle of the bicycle rather than the right hand peg. I took off my sunglasses and sure enough I had a nice dent just behind the "S" placard on the right side of the tank. Gosh, I hate that and from a rusty old bicycle.

Well, some years ago I bought a Twist-a-dent dent reducer that I tried in some parking lot damage with limited success. I was not sure of it was a good idea but I decided I had to give it a try.

I followed the directions and held my breath as I could see the tank flexing under the strain of the puller. Just about the time I figured I better stop the dent puller popped off as it was supposed to but it left a huge glob of hot glue that I have never seen happen before. It took me about thirty minutes to scrape the hot glue off without damaging the finish. It was so difficult that it made me shy away from trying it again even though it is recommended that you pull a dent up to ten times before quitting. Once I got the glue off I could see that the dent wse reduced by about 1/2. It no longer seems to jump out at me when I look at the tank. I may try it again but not today. I am going to try riding her as she is and see if it is slight enough that I can easily ignore it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads