Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #41
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
What does a windshield cost for a GZ250?
I know i am a little behind on this one but>>>>

http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html S-06 Spitfire windshield.

You can get one for under $50 from MAWonline http://www.mawonline.com/slipstre.htm#Windshields

S-06 Spitfire 'bout 1/2 way down the page.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #42
Jer

Re: Getting Comfortable At Speeds

VERY NICE! I just may order one of those here real soon.

Question...

Quote:
(48824) $45.95 Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Windshield w/ 7/8" Kit Clear Mfg.#: S06C
(01169) $48.95 Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire Windshield 7/8" Kit Tinted Mfg.#: S06ACM
What's the 7/8" vs 1" about????
Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #43
Sarris

Handlebar diameter. GZ's have a 7/8" handlebar. Tint or clear is also a decision you'll have to make.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #44
Jer

Gotcha thanks!.

Yeah, I saw that. What are your thoughts on tinted????
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #45
Sarris

I usually buy tinted as it cuts alot of glare here in Florida, plus it looks cool on my black bike. Since most people (including myself) look over and not through the windshield, it's more of a personal preference issue than functional issue.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #46
Jer

Quote:
Since most people (including myself) look over and not through the windshield,
Those were my thoughts too.

And mine is black as well.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #47
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
I guess I just got used to the speed quickly. For the first week I didn't break 30 (rode the rural roads around here). My first trip at 55 MPH was a bit iffy but after 2-3 trips I was perfectly comfortable. Still, 45 on a motorcycle still feels like 70 in a car.
It took me a long time adjusting to "lower" speeds and just learning my bike. My first attempt at more than 35 in a residential zone, I went out early in the morning with a friend following me. I assumed that I'd be scared and horrified at higher speeds and that I'd be lucky to get the bike to 45 even though my only option was to go in a 55 mph zone to get it that fast.

I adapted incredibly quickly and absolutely loved it. However, I've been a passenger for years, so I knew what the feeling of the bike was like when it moves quickly, and I'd already learned about not looking at the road *right* in front of the bike but instead to look farther up the road so that you can see what's coming then use peripheral vision to avoid something that's right there (it's not just for safety, it's also because you get the feeling that you're traveling a million miles an hour and force yourself to slow down only to realize that you never got over 35-40!).

Interesting note - I have a great helmet, but like all helmets, the wind noise is very, very high. That wind noise really creates problems with my hearing (I get off the bike and am yelling at my partner because I can't even hear myself speak). When I'm riding around town, I don't bother with ear plugs, but when I'm on long rides, I do use them. I didn't believe people who told me so, but I can still hear cars passing me. I can still hear my bike so I can go by sound and feel as far as knowing when to shift, I can hear church bells, I can hear sirens, I can even sit on my bike and have a conversation with my partner with both of us in earplugs with our bikes turned on (my plugs are rated at 22, I don't know what that means, but it seems to be ag ood number!). What I can't hear is that wind. When I'm wearing earplugs on the roads that go over 50, I don't FEEL buffeted as much because there's not a huge wind blast in my ear.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #48
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Alan, it all comes with experience. I used to feel the same way back then. Once you get to know your bike and how it handles and it becomes second nature to you, you will be able to take those unknown twisty roads with ease. Its all about entering the corner correctly. ONce you have that down, the unknown back road twists just come natural.
One thing I've started here recently now that I'm more comfortable with my bike and its capabilities is really start thinking about the path through the turn. Watch this video: (his videos are great and a blast to watch!).

The main thing I've learned is that if you are making a blind turn (lots of those here in WV) make sure you don't ride too close to the center line!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #49
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
And no, i dont wanna hear about me not wearing a helmet
After you suffer the brain damage, you won't understand what they're saying anyway.
:2tup:
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #50
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for tips primal and Dupo. I think I mainly just need more saddle time. I understand the theory of the turns, and 95% of the time I get it right (I still have minor slip ups every ride, everything from inappropriate gearing to sloppy startups to remedial downshifts.) What I was specifically having trouble with was entering and exiting turns fast enough to stay ahead of car traffic. As you well know, cars tend to travel at about 10 to 15 over the "recommended" signage. Generally, I can do the turns pretty comfortably at signage speeds (but not always.) And sometimes I just tense up a bit on the higher speed, yet blind, curves (fear of the unknown, mostly.) I can always do a lot better the second time down the same stretch, even if it is in reverse. I guess I have an overactive imagination that the road may suddenly disappear or drop off a cliff or something. I've occasionally had the same trouble in a car going up 395 to Tahoe or Yosemite, so it's not just the bike. Probably just trying to go too fast.

Primal - I watched the video. Pretty funny, but the dude used the full width of the roadway every time he made a turn - this is very poor technique to say the least. Any traffic coming in the opposite direction and he's going to have a head on collision. You have to stay on your side! Maybe this is supposed to be a one way road, but I've never seen a one way road out in the middle of nowhere. He also didn't mention the outside, inside, outside method for maximizing visibility and reducing the chances of getting clipped by someone crossing over the center line coming the other way. He did a good job on the slow down to enter and gas up to exit part.