Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Install a headlight cut off switch...

I was wondering if anyone has installed an override type switch for the headlight. Or can provide the best way to do this. For reasons of my own I would like to put in a manual switch for the headlight so when I start my GZ, I can turn off the headlight so there is less drain on the battery during cranking.

I don't know enough that it would even matter but just something I've thought about...

Appreciate comments, pro and con,

chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Your idea would certainly help the bike start with no power drain to the headlight. I would put in a switch in the headlight ground wire to stop the power drain in high or low beam. That would be the simplest way. Now you have a no headlight situation if you happen to forget to flip the switch to the on position. After starting the bike you can always do a complete light check and know they all work. It is always a good safety idea to do a light check with any vehicle. May sound like overkill but it always has worked for me with all my vehicles. Yeah, I am a little paranoid about being seen and seeing.
Other Suzuki bikes have a different starter button switch on the bars that does the job automatically. I doubt it would be of any advantage to try to change over a different Suzuki starter switch as the time, effort and cost would be significant compared to a DIY switch for a couple bucks and some time well spent.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
spldart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Your idea would certainly help the bike start with no power drain to the headlight. I would put in a switch in the headlight ground wire to stop the power drain in high or low beam. That would be the simplest way. Now you have a no headlight situation if you happen to forget to flip the switch to the on position. After starting the bike you can always do a complete light check and know they all work. It is always a good safety idea to do a light check with any vehicle. May sound like overkill but it always has worked for me with all my vehicles. Yeah, I am a little paranoid about being seen and seeing.
Other Suzuki bikes have a different starter button switch on the bars that does the job automatically. I doubt it would be of any advantage to try to change over a different Suzuki starter switch as the time, effort and cost would be significant compared to a DIY switch for a couple bucks and some time well spent.
I have considered this myself...
Problem is switch selection. Most wont cope well with a driving rain.
Otherwise...

Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and ideas... Maybe I'll just leave things the way they are lol

chandlerbingfl
Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

A waterproof toggle switch is cheap and easy. Any auto parts store will have one just for you.