Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Mr Coachdaddy

In search of best new tires for my daughters gz

Hi folks, not sure that this is the best place to post this so feel free to send me in the right direction. I need to replace both tires on a recently purchased 1999 gz and need some guidance. this is a starter bike for a new 16yr old rider. At this point I'm not too concerned about mileage as I can't see her putting on more than 2000 miles a year (and not even that much to start). My main focus is on traction and handling. A matching set would be nice, but that's because I think it would lend itself to better stability. Any and all thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Bobberproject

ebay

ebay
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There aren't many tire options for our bike that come in a matching set. There are, however, many options if you don't mind mixing up tire brands and/or going to a slightly smaller tire up front.

The factory tires sizes are: 110/90-16 (F) & 130/90-15 (R)

The rim width for the front wheel is 2.5" and the rear wheel width is 3.0"
That being the case, a size 100/90-16 front tire will work on this bike. It does have an overall diameter decrease of 9mm over the 110/90-16 but that isn't really very drastic.

Samato has verified that alternate tire size 100/90-16 will mount up with no problem.

As well, the 120/80-16 alternate tire size is another choice for the front tire and has been successfully mounted by MRLMD1.

Factory replacement tires: 110/90-16 & 130/90-15
Dunlop D404 (only available through a Suzuki dealer)
Metzeler ME77 (only available through a Suzuki dealer)
Cheng Shin C906 & C907 (possibly no longer available)

Rear Factory Replacements:
Kenda Challenger
Pirelli MT66 (Route 66)
Maxxis M6103
Cheng Shin Marquis
Metzeler Me 77

Factory Replacement Front:
GBC Green Shark
Metzler Lasertec
Pirelli Sport Demon
Avon Roadrider AM26
Conti Ultra TKV11
Kenda K671 & K673

100/90-16 Front:
Bridgestone BT45
Maxxis M6002
Cheng Shin C6000
Kenda Cruiser
IRC Durotour

Matching tires with low profile front: 100/91-16 & 130/90-15
Kenda Cruiser

Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Mr Coachdaddy

New tire update

Thanks for the replies. Although Ebay wasn't particularly helpful, it did serve to provide some food for thought. And after doing exhaustive research on the different makes and tire combinations in Jonathan's post I still wasn't satisfied with my choices. That's when I came upon something that I think is gonna work just fine. It is a matching set of Shinko tires in the exact OEM sizes to fit the gz. The SR735 series 110/90-16, and the SR734 series 130/90-15. Combing through the specs and reviews I feel pretty confident that these tires will fit the bill. In quizzing my mechanic, he felt from his experience that Shinko tires were a decently reliable brand with excellent grip and respectable tread life. I have just ordered a set ($111.00 +tax for the pair), and hope to have them on in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted as to how they handle during, and after the break-in period.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
alantf

Wow! You're lucky. Over here it costs the equivalent of that for each tyre, so we're paying double. (everything has to be imported)

Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Mr Coachdaddy

So, have you ever looked into the mirror and found a genius starring back at you? If so, then you are a better man than I :-P My new tires arrived today and as i go to pull the wheels off it hits me, SPOKED RIMS !!! The NON-genius in the mirror didn't get any tubes. None of my other bikes use tubes so it never even crossed my mind. Any suggestions on what brand(s) work well/fit the bike and where's the best place to buy them?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coachdaddy View Post
So, have you ever looked into the mirror and found a genius starring back at you? If so, then you are a better man than I :-P My new tires arrived today and as i go to pull the wheels off it hits me, SPOKED RIMS !!! The NON-genius in the mirror didn't get any tubes. None of my other bikes use tubes so it never even crossed my mind. Any suggestions on what brand(s) work well/fit the bike and where's the best place to buy them?
I would just go back to the folks who had the tires. They surely want return customers and might give you a price break. I imagine most tubes are of comparable quality.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Mr Coachdaddy

I checked out a few websites (including the one I bought the tires from), but the options are so varied. Is anyone running particular tubes that they are happy with and would recommend?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

For the most part, tubes are tubes. Any reputable place is going to sell a decent product.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq View Post
For the most part, tubes are tubes. Any reputable place is going to sell a decent product.
Agreed. They want a happy returning customer.