Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBowler77 View Post
Hey Water, do u remember where u got that backrest with luggage
compartment and would it work on my 2003 Marauder?!?!?
Found it at a bike shop but ebay would be cheaper. Any top box for a bike or scooter will work on your GZ. It just takes a little planning to mount it to do it's job as a backrest so you can comfortably lean back on it. This top box was a 28 liter model and a bit too small for a helmet so get one bigger just to have a safe place to store the helmet and gloves when out and about.
Many top boxes come with a mounting plate, some don't. I mounted the mounting plate to a steel plate on the bike and it stayed there but the box could be unlocked and removed from the bike. The steel plate was secured using the 3 bolt holes for the passenger seat so no extra drilling or modding was needed.
Note: the back pad is likely not needed on the front of the top box for most riders. Lynda is only 5 foot 3 inches and needed a little help by spacing the backrest further forward. The box could not go anymore forward without hindering the driver's seat removal.
I did a lot of measuring and planning before the job and was thrilled that it was 99% perfect with no do overs needed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
LawnBowler77

Hey Water, How did u fabricate a steel plate for it to work with the 3 bolt holes from the passenger
seat when there is a bend from the front bolt holes to the back bolt hole and yet still get it flat to
mount the mounting plate to it?!?!? Why I ask this is because I am looking at getting something
like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-x17-Unive...-/380675954566 for my bike!!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBowler77 View Post
Hey Water, How did u fabricate a steel plate for it to work with the 3 bolt holes from the passenger
seat when there is a bend from the front bolt holes to the back bolt hole and yet still get it flat to
mount the mounting plate to it?!?!? Why I ask this is because I am looking at getting something
like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-x17-Unive...-/380675954566 for my bike!!
First buy a pizza. You will want to use the box lid and one short side. The short side bent to approx. 20 degrees will align nicely with the rear bolt hole. Cut the size/shape you need to mount the top box mounting plate to the steel mounting plate that will be a permanent fixture on the bike in place of the passenger seat.
1/8th steel plate should be adequate for the steel mounting plate and easy enough to work with. I had one cut out and bent at a fabrication shop for $2o.
I made sure the cardboard cut out was precisely what I needed and knew where the mounting holes would be to match up to the bike. Measure measure and measure again. After the plate was made up I only needed to mount it on the bike and take some more measurements for holes to mount the top box. What I did do was drill 3 sets of holes an inch apart so I would have the option of moving the plastic box mounting plate fore or aft to make the fit more optimal for Lynda when she was riding.
Lots of measuring meant I did it right the first time with no goofs and all the drilling was away from the bike on a work bench or solid stool with the metal plate clamped in place.
After a test fit of all components I I removed all the fabed stuff and cleaned/painted it with tremclad. Assembly was with all metric hardware to match the bike. Overall it was a very satisfying project.

The top box in the advertisement should work well.. Keep in mind that the large reflective red area will likely not reflect worth sh*t. It just looks good in daylight. However the box has a nice flat strip running around it for a place to add real reflective tape. Also there is a nice flat spot on the rear side of the box too.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
RyanRoth97

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul10141964 View Post
is the bigger box I found at a chines scooter store
Hey Raul, I like your pics do you know the brand on the box? I’m gonna look online.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
Donald McPherson

I've got a baby GZ125 hs (some say Chinese model) but it comes with crashbars and solid side carriers. Plus even a petrol guage.

Last edited by Donald McPherson; 05-11-2020 at 02:40 PM.