Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
Shawnski451

Help! GZ250 Gear Box Noises

I've put around 500 miles on my GZ250 since putting it on the road and one thing that I've noticed is that the gear box seems to make quite a bit of noise (whine) when cruising and even louder when under power and all but goes away when coasting or light throttle. Is this normal for it to make this noise? Just getting paranoid and want some confirmation. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #2
wacio

I wouldn't sweat too much about it. Check oil level - correctly - minute after engine was stopped. Should be between min and max on sight glass. If higher - than max - probably diluted with gas (replace) and fix carb. I'm assuming that oil used is right viscosity (10W40). Beyond that - realize that you have cheap bike - every gear in the engine and trans is straight (non-helical) tooth design. It will be whining on all gears - especially under load - but some whine is constant due to balance shaft operation. To see how much balance shaft gearing whines - run engine with clutch depressed.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Shawnski451

Thanks for the reply!

I did an oil change before putting it on the road. New filter and 10W40 Castrol GO! oil. I confirmed the oil level and it is good. I kinda figured that all the whine was dues to the straight cut gears but was wondering if everyone was experiencing the same noises I was. I totally get that this is a cheap bike (I paid $900.00 for mine) and I'm not expecting this bike to do any more than its expected to. I'm really enjoying this thing so far.

Login or Register to Remove Ads