Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
bachelorb

A 2006 GZ250 Story

Well this is my first post of what I hope are many. I have just bought a 2006 GZ with a blown motor. The goal here is to document its progress through pictures and words. I will also probably have a bunch of questions that I hope people will be able to help answer.

Today I ordered the "new" motor off of EBay. It is supposed to be here Thursday. Tomorrow I'll start taking the old motor out. I hope a bunch of people follow along, because I am nothing more than a hack combine/tractor mechanic who just knew enough to keep 40 year old equipment running through harvest. Although I've ridden for 40 years, I haven't done much wrenching. Questions will be coming quite often. Stay Tuned.....

Brad

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
bachelorb

......and here we go........

Here's the bike!! Obviously the tank is off. The fella said he was going down the road and the engine seized. Someday, I might investigate the motor, but today I need to get it out. Here's some of the other things I'd like to do to get her fixed up:

The tank has some kind of sticker on it. I hope its not covering up scratches, but we'll see

The guy ran it as a straight pipe. I'm old and like the quiet, so I think I'll get the muffler welded back on.

Seat is a little chewed. Looks like an ebay purchase waiting to happen

I may have an electrical problem. I'm not sure if both running lights are supposed to be on, or if I have a short or dead bulb. It also could be the battery needs to be juiced up a bit.

The saddlebag is pulled out. I'm hoping this is a 99 cent washer fix....

.....but all those are in the future..... Today its out with the motor!!!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Overall the bike is in pretty decent shape except for the motor, of course. The right running light is probably just a bulb our. Regarding the muffler, if he was running straight pipe, he would have had to modify the jets in the carburetor in order for it to run right just as an FYI. Otherwise it would have run pretty crappy. Have fun.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Regarding the muffler, if he was running straight pipe, he would have had to modify the jets in the carburetor in order for it to run right just as an FYI. Otherwise it would have run pretty crappy. Have fun.

Thanks for that..... See...... this is stuff I have no idea about...

I went through all the steps in the service manual until it came to removing the chain sprocket..... its never a good idea to yell into the house for your your wife's help telling her you need her weight.... She stood on the brake while I tried to get the sprocket off with a 4 foot cheater bar. The wheel still moved. Today I'm off to my scrapping buddys place looking for an impact wrench.

I'll tell you..... it gets frustrating when I used to reach over on the farm and the tools were right there..... "We" decided to "downsize"..... and it seems everything I gave up I still need at one time or another....... Luckily most of my downsizing went to one of my three boys.... Now I have to figure out which one got the 30mm socket!!

New motor arrives today
Old 08-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
bachelorb

Well a friend came through with an impact wrench and 30mm socket, so the sprocket is off..... in fact... the whole motor is out!!

The only problem I had was with the swingarm bolt. I had used jackstands to hold the motorcycle up and mounted them too the swingarm. After the motor was completely unbolted (except the swingarm), I had to move the Jackstands to the frame. It was a delicate ballet between jacks, and motor and stand.....

Before that, I couldn't figure out how the exhaust pipe came out because it was all one welded piece..... I found out someone did some customizing

......and missed a spot......

so now I'm off to eBay to try to find an exhaust......

Old 08-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
bachelorb

Yesterday evening a large box came from UPS. The new engine has arrived!!!! I liked the way they packaged it. Lacing twine around a rubbermaid container. The motor seemed no worse for wear.

I set them side by side on the workbench and moved the starter over and some gearing, and then went to do the flywheel.....

......ugh..... the flywheel....... Seems you need a special puller. I tried one of my two jawed gear pullers, but the rounded backside of the flywheel made it impossible. Seems I need to get a specialized 35mm x 1.5 internal thread puller that I will never use again.... but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.......

So...... the puller should be here Tuesday so I guess the rest of this weekend I'm going to work on more minor things......
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Donald McPherson

See you are a bit like me. Don't like to borrow so go and buy even for a one off.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
See you are a bit like me. Don't like to borrow so go and buy even for a one off.
Most of the time, that's true for me Don...... Of course, now that I have this gear puller..... I might be basing future motorcycle purchases off of which one it fits.......
Old 09-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
bachelorb

Kind of a slow day today in the bike restoration world. I'm waiting on a magneto cover gasket and the flywheel puller. They should be coming in the next couple of days, so I thought I'd try to tie up some loose ends....

The original petcock on the bike leaked, so I bought a replacement.

I thought about rebuilding the one on the bike, but this bike has been ridden hard and had a few shortcuts taken (one of the motor mounts was an english thread..... along with a couple of others). I decided since the cost of the new petcock and rebuild kit were around the same, I would just buy one.

The other thing checked off the list today was sticker removal....

Not hard at all. The WD40 and my wife's hair dryer made quick work of it. There are a few dings in the tank. I'm going to have to figure out how to get those out.

Another thing I'm not to sure about is that Suzuki sticker on the rear fender. it looks awful!! I'm not sure if the other sticker half peeled it off or what. Nothing sees to touch it as far as getting it off so......

I found some badges that were slightly bigger.

They're on order and should be here in a couple of weeks.....
Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
bachelorb

Sooooo.... The gear puller arrived tuesday.... A Motion Pro 08-0349 35mm Flywheel Puller M35 X 1.5 R.H. I bought it off of Amazon.....

A simple thing really it has a M35-1.5 right handed thread that mounts on the flywheel and a pusher bolt. With the motor being out of the bike, I was having a hard time holding the pusher bolt, so I hit it with the impact wrench and it came free no problem.

Using the impact though, I dislodged one of the three rollers that mounts in the flywheel. I always hate it when you pull something off and a part of it goes rolling off the bench.... I immediately thought it was one of the magnets and I was screwed, but looking at the parts manual, I figured out it was the roller and I was back in business in no time.

The next day I was reinstalling the motor while waiting on the magneto cover gasket. Everything was looking good, so after hooking up the electrical, I decided to try the starter.... that worked!!! So then I got brave to see if there was spark at the plug..... and..... that worked!!!

I thought I'd better stop right there and drink some beer..... Things working right away don't happen to me often......

Yesterday the gasket arrived, so I put that on... tightened everything down. Put on the new exhaust (the PO had run straight pipes) filled er up with oil and gave her a try....... and......

A few more things left to do, like some wire routing and cleanup and some fuel line/filter routing. Oh yeah..... and a pesky turn signal wiring problem...... I told my wife yesterday that I'll probably die of a heart attack, because my whole life revolves around electrical problems......

One other thing.... I bought a petcock for the same price as a rebuild kit off of eBay.... it works fine except it can't fully get into the "On" position because of the tank. Putting it in the position shown, does allow fuel though to get into the filter. I think I'm going to have to do some filing on the petcock handle to get it to go fully up

Last edited by bachelorb; 09-08-2018 at 08:11 AM.