Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
HumbleNewRider

"debris" in oil

I changed the oil in my 15 year old Honda Shadow 600 that I recently bought. It had 77 miles on it. Had been in the neighbors garage the entire 15 years. Before I rode it, I replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, had the carburetors rebuilt, changed the oil and oil filter, plus several other things. Oil looked fine.

The bike now has 700 miles on it and has been running fine. No problems at all. I changed the oil this weekend and found flakes of some silver looking material. The flakes vary size, but are about the size the nail of your small finger --- to the size of your thumb nail. The material sort of looks like aluminum foil, but is more flexible. I'm pretty sure the flakes going into the drain pan from the oil filter -- as I noticed some "clumps" come out of the filter when I turned it upside down to drain into the drain pan. I thought the flakes might have been some type of metallic type label from the oil filter or something, but there's no writing on them. I don't know enough about the interior of an engine / transmission to know what they might have come off of.

Any ideas what this might be -- and what action I should take?

thanks....

Login or Register to Remove Ads