Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
bjrscj

First Tire Change

I'm looking to change my first set of tires, and I want to make sure I have everything in line before I take them off. I'd hate to have the bike apart and take it out of commission if I didn't have everything ready to go. I found some great information on here as to which tires to purchase and where to purchase them, but I still have a few questions.

I've got a 2003:

1. I'm planning on going with these tires (F and R), but I also want to change out the protective strips and the tubes, as they're over 10 years old. Where would you recommend getting those and which kind?

2. Are the tubes easy enough to put in myself, or should I go to a Cycle Gear or mechanic to install them?

3. What sort of jack do I need to change out the tires? I saw these front and rear stands on sale, but I also see lift stands. I assume the stand is better, but I want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Let me know if you think I'm overlooking any details as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: First Tire Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj
I'm looking to change my first set of tires, and I want to make sure I have everything in line before I take them off. I'd hate to have the bike apart and take it out of commission if I didn't have everything ready to go. I found some great information on here as to which tires to purchase and where to purchase them, but I still have a few questions.

I've got a 2003:

1. I'm planning on going with these tires (F and R), but I also want to change out the protective strips and the tubes, as they're over 10 years old. Where would you recommend getting those and which kind?

2. Are the tubes easy enough to put in myself, or should I go to a Cycle Gear or mechanic to install them?
Most folks just go with a couple or 3 layers of electrical tape for protective strips from what I've heard. Get tubes with the tires when you order them. Shouldn't be a problem. Doing it yourself may be a challenge but have a go at it. Use talcum powder to dry lube the tube to make it slide around in the tire for a better easier fit. It also makes you smell purty.
When the tube stem is through the hole in the wheel it should have the holding nut "Just" slightly snugged. Too tight and it will pull the stem through the hole in the wheel.
Use proper tire irons for a bike. Screwdrivers and any sharp cousins will surely poke a hole or a tear in the tube. I learned that lesson on bicycles as a kid.
All that said, here's what I do. Take the wheels, tubes and new tires to a shop where they have the equipment and experience. Have the tires balanced too.
3. What sort of jack do I need to change out the tires? I saw these front and rear stands on sale, but I also see lift stands. I assume the stand is better, but I want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Let me know if you think I'm overlooking any details as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
clonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj

All I use is a jack under the bike, slightly more to the right, and a block under the kick stand to keep the bike 'level'. Mostly it lifts the back wheel, but slight weight on the back, lifts the front. Works a treat. I use a trolly jack, but I would imagine a scissor jack from the boot of your car would work as well, just be carefull, I have many of cars almost fall on me because of them. Then again, Iv had a car fall over a trolly jack too.

I have also used a strop/ratchet tie down from the rafters of the garage to lift the bike. But it likes to swing alot.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
trionyx

That's a good question, I'm also before front tire and inner tube change.
I already bought the usual front tire: Sava 110/90 R16 59P which is the same as i'ts OEM tire.
I also bought the inner tube from manufacturer Wee rubber, because of good price/performance ratio.
I have got a 450/510-16 tire for the front wheel. A few days later I have seen Wee Rubber catalog, it showed for the 110/90 R16 tire a 320/350-16 inner tube. A few days later I let replaced the 450/510 for 320/350 according to the catalog.
BUT after the change I started to calculate and think of the replacement....
4,50x24,5=110,2
3,5x24,5=85,75
The above calculation shows that the first one was probably better...isn't it? But why does the Wee's catalog shows that 320/350-16 is the right one in that case. Even for the 120/90 R16 tire is the same "smaller" tube recommended according to the catalog.
Just to be precise I measured the radius of the inner tube, which is 90mm unpressurized. Unpressurized means the after I bought the inner tube and opened I measured it, before pumping any air int it.
Some told me one size smaller inner tube is better then a slightly bigger one...
Question: which size would you choose?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

I don't have a lot of experience with tires and tubes but I do have a couple thoughts. You may be better off with a smaller tube that will expand and fit the tire when you add air pressure. A slightly larger tube may not expand as readily and possibly bunch up inside the tire.
A smaller tube will be a bit lighter in weight and have less effect on wheel balance, unsprung weight on the bike and a wee difference in installation issues. These however are very minor and probably won't be noticeable or a concern for most folks.
I have had somewhat of a charmed life with tube type tires. I've never changed one. I have always been lucky to have an experinced person do the repairs/installs for me when problems cropped up.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
mrlmd1

If the tube is too small for the tire it has to be overinflated to fit the tire and will be more likely to burst when you go over a pothole or bump in the road, and then you will be replacing it again. I had this experience with 3 bike tires/tubes 'till I got the right size tube to fit the tire.
The tire manufacturer should be able to tell you the correct size tube for the tire, I would not go with a smaller tube and would rather go with a slightly larger one well lubed with talcum powder to slide around inside the tire if that was the only choice.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If the tube is too small for the tire it has to be overinflated to fit the tire and will be more likely to burst when you go over a pothole or bump in the road, and then you will be replacing it again. I had this experience with 3 bike tires/tubes 'till I got the right size tube to fit the tire.
The tire manufacturer should be able to tell you the correct size tube for the tire, I would not go with a smaller tube and would rather go with a slightly larger one well lubed with talcum powder to slide around inside the tire if that was the only choice.
So much for my theory. I bow to some one with more experience and hands on tube replacement.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
So much for my theory. I bow to some one with more experience and hands on tube replacement.

Any time that you have parts (for example: tire and tube) sliding against each other you build up heat rather quickly.
One of the last things that I would want to get overheated while going down the
highway at 70 is the tire and/or tube.
That kind of thing causes a blowout.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
mrlmd1

The tube doesn't slide around inside the tire once it's inflated to the proper pressure. The powder lube is only to get it to fit inside the tire without abrading or rubbing a hole in it or damaging the tube.
A blowout from a tube overheating from sliding inside the tire doesn't happen or you would hear about it all the time and you would see evidence of that when and if you had to change the tube. That's nonsense.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
OldNTired

Quote:
The tube doesn't slide around inside the tire once it's inflated to the proper pressure. The powder lube is only to get it to fit inside the tire without abrading or rubbing a hole in it or damaging the tube.
A blowout from a tube overheating from sliding inside the tire doesn't happen or you would hear about it all the time and you would see evidence of that when and if you had to change the tube. That's nonsense.

Uh huh. Thanks for your comments.