Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Kalel

Love my GZ.. but when time to move on... What to choose?

Just wondering, as many of you have or have had a GZ, Iand then later a different model what did you choose or what would you choose.... Right now I love my GZ and the MPG.. that is awesome... just was looking at this one that is coming out next year.... and people said harley would never make a 500CC ha....

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Love my GZ.. but when time to move on... What to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel
.... and people said harley would never make a 500CC ha....
Those people should look up the history of HD, they produced several smaller-than-500 cc models initially and throughout the years.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There was also a time when you couldn't give away a Harley Davidson...

I don't think you'll be all that overly impressed with 500s if the 250 has already run it's course in your life. Most people like cruisers because of their comfort and straight line gliding ability. As part of that, they like the immediate giddyup and punch when they roll on the throttle in a straight line. This, I believe, is why you see 2,500cc crusiers and not 2500cc sport bikes. Are you more of a laid back rider or do you like the bike to be more nimble and flickable? That makes a big difference in what you should shop for.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Your next bike will be determined by what you want to do in the future. Do you want to do some longer rides/trips? New or used? Budget concerns will likely determine the final decision. How big do you want to go? Brand loyalty or just pick what turns you on? Japanese only is probably the best option as they are reasonably priced and normally make excellent bikes. Do you want a relatively maintenance free bike??? Do some research on any promising bike by lurking on websites and getting a general idea of problems, traits, comfort and wrenching concerns. Can you do normal servicing yourself??? Where is your nearest dealer??

As for the H-D concepts I would have reservations. Will they be any less weight than the 883 Iron? Will they be any cheaper than the competition or more or less comparable in price? Being another starter bike like 883 Sportster(but smaller) is usually thought of, will it retain any value after 2 or 3 years?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Goose51683

Since the 883 has been mentioned, what do you guys know about them. There is one in my town for sell around $3000. In general I'm not an HD fan simply because I think it's more name than anything but for the price it did make me look twice.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I don't have any experience with the H-D bikes but a lot of friends have the bigger models and love them. Would I buy one? Not likely. I like Japanese bikes because they are more affordable and reliable as can be. Suzuki, Honda, Kawi and Honda make a wide variety of bikes in the 500 to 1000cc range that will keep you entertained for a long time. Take your pick according to your needs. Do some research on the models that tickle your fancy. Sport, cruisers and adventure, sport touring are all available from Japan.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Plavanchy

Check out the new Suzuki gw250-nice ride
Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
Kalel

Hey Guys, Nice thoughts... Well as I said my GZ is awesome, and has not run it's course in my life. not planning on changing it anytime soon.... I was just wondering what some of you guys moved to... I like cruiser style bikes, and If I were to move right now, had the chance, would def pick up a Suzuki S-40, I like japanese bikes, and suzuki is good, reliable and simple....

Now as for
"" Are you more of a laid back rider or do you like the bike to be more nimble and flickable? "" I am laid back, but the city is tough, so that is why I posted that about the HD...

By the way, this forum is awesomee........ and to me even Suzuki's sound Thum-Thum - Thum..... beats HD's pot - pot - pot
Old 11-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I do like the S-40 and it's simplicity but if I were in the market I would be looking at a C-50. It is more bike and not a great deal more money overall. Lynda graduated to a M-50 from her GZ and loved it. I rode it and really liked it a lot but my thoughts were leaning towards a C-50 for the added comfort and even greater aftermarket stuff. They are(C-50 and M-50)basically the same bike with the same engine and powertrain but the M-50 was more of a muscle cruiser with better handling.
The C-50 is more of a laid back cruiser with better accommodations for touring with different bars, floor boards and a larger seat. Also had a heel toe shifter that was real easy to use after a couple miles in town.
2 very popular Yamahas are the 650 and 1100 Star models. Either one would be a reliable bike with decent fit and finish.

After all that, if I run across an old Suzuki Intruder 1400 in good shape I might jump on it. It is really neat looking and a torque monster with some very well done styling. A very clean uncluttered bike that is good for shorter rides but likely wouldn't make a great touring mount. I was asleep at the switch and missed a nice 1993 for $2,200. It would have been great to hit the road with a massive engine just loafing along at it's own pace.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Goose51683

I just saw an article about Harley coming out with a 500. Do a google search. It doesn't look to bad, probably ridiculously priced though.