Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
kongjie

Up shifting suddenly very difficult

I was halfway through my short, 20-minute commute home yesterday on my 2006 when I realized that shifting up was getting harder and harder. By the end of my ride I was actually leaning back for leverage.

It was a hot day, probably close to 100, and when I parked I saw that the oil was on the low side. So I topped it off, thinking that maybe it was a combination of the heat and lowish oil.

Well, this morning it was mostly the same for the first 10 minutes, then up shifting got a little bit easier, but it's still not normal. Down shifting seems normal; but to go up, I have to exert a good amount of force and even then I don't feel the level "click." Every time I shifted up, I wasn't at all sure I had even changed gears until I let out the clutch.

Should I wait and see if it gets any better, or is there something I should look at? It's got about 12,000 miles and I use synthetic oil, and it was changed about 2,000 miles ago.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Might be a simple solution. Try lubing the shifter rod ends. There are rubber booties on each end. Squirt a little chain lube under the rubber to lube the parts.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
kongjie

Gave it a go, will see how if it helps.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongjie View Post
I was halfway through my short, 20-minute commute home yesterday on my 2006 when I realized that shifting up was getting harder and harder. By the end of my ride I was actually leaning back for leverage.

It was a hot day, probably close to 100, and when I parked I saw that the oil was on the low side. So I topped it off, thinking that maybe it was a combination of the heat and lowish oil.

Well, this morning it was mostly the same for the first 10 minutes, then up shifting got a little bit easier, but it's still not normal. Down shifting seems normal; but to go up, I have to exert a good amount of force and even then I don't feel the level "click." Every time I shifted up, I wasn't at all sure I had even changed gears until I let out the clutch.

Should I wait and see if it gets any better, or is there something I should look at? It's got about 12,000 miles and I use synthetic oil, and it was changed about 2,000 miles ago.
Any difference in how clutching feels? Like when you know it's engaged/disengaged? Whining or other noises?

The oil might have something to do with it. Is this the first time with synthetic?

chandlerbingfl
Old 09-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #5
kongjie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl View Post
Any difference in how clutching feels? Like when you know it's engaged/disengaged? Whining or other noises?

The oil might have something to do with it. Is this the first time with synthetic?
Clutch feels exactly the same. I'll ride without earplugs tomorrow and see if I hear anything different.

Been using synthetic since I got the bike at 700 miles, so I don't think that's the issue.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Just thinking about the shifter rod. Are the lock nuts secure?? If they have come loose then the rod itself may have rotated a bit and screwed up a precision shift.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
kongjie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Might be a simple solution. Try lubing the shifter rod ends. There are rubber booties on each end. Squirt a little chain lube under the rubber to lube the parts.
Wow. That was it! Can't believe what looks like a couple of simple ball and socket joints could seize up so quickly and thoroughly. Makes me wonder what other spots might need to be greased on the bike.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongjie View Post
Wow. That was it! Can't believe what looks like a couple of simple ball and socket joints could seize up so quickly and thoroughly. Makes me wonder what other spots might need to be greased on the bike.

Thanks for the help.
Anything that spends it's life that close to the ground is bound to need help on a regular basis. All it costs is a little TLC at every servicing.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #9
gz4me +

Happy to hear that it was a easy fix. " If it moves, lube it", was my Fathers words to me when I was growing up.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
alantf

Sounds similar to "If it moves, salute it. If it stands still, paint it" Military service?