Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
El Diablo

Re: question about freeway riding

There is one section of interstate I take from time to time. I have a tail wind one way and easily do 70-75 without maxing out the throttle. Coming back I am full throttle and have trouble getting up much pass 55 mph. Wind is the difference maker.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
There is one section of interstate I take from time to time. I have a tail wind one way and easily do 70-75 without maxing out the throttle. Coming back I am full throttle and have trouble getting up much pass 55 mph. Wind is the difference maker.
Do you have a windshield? (Curious abut it's impact on speed - mine is coming on Thursday...)
Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
I took my GZ from Myrtle Beach to the Ft Lauderdale area (about 630 miles), with about 85% of the driving being freeway (I95).

It was... fun. I love riding motorcycles, so it was a great experience regardless. The wind wasn't a concern, but if you've ever driven on 95, then you know that the little gz just cant keep up with the speeds. I kept it at about 70 in the right lane, and I was still getting overtook by 18-wheelers.
Is 195 paved with asphalt or concrete? Is it "grooved" for water drainage? Is it scalloped? (not sure what purposed this serves, but much of my local freeway is scalloped (sort of carved waves in the concrete) and grooved. I suppose I might learn to get used to it, but I can't imagine going 630 miles on the freeway and enjoying it. I have trouble going 55 uphill or into the wind, and the traffic is carreening around me, blowing horns, etc. at an avg speed of 80-85. It's quite nerve wracking, and the bike is dancing all over the pavement.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #14
El Diablo

To answer your question: I do not have a windshield.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Is 195 paved with asphalt or concrete? Is it "grooved" for water drainage? Is it scalloped? (not sure what purposed this serves, but much of my local freeway is scalloped (sort of carved waves in the concrete) and grooved. I suppose I might learn to get used to it, but I can't imagine going 630 miles on the freeway and enjoying it. I have trouble going 55 uphill or into the wind, and the traffic is carreening around me, blowing horns, etc. at an avg speed of 80-85. It's quite nerve wracking, and the bike is dancing all over the pavement.

The majority of it was concrete. There was some asphalt on the longer "open-stretches" in central florida; however for most of the ride, I remember hearing the "da-dump, da-dump".

For me at least, the first hour was the worst. After that, I popped in my headphones to lessen the noise (no music, though) and the time flew by. It was really a nice opportunity to take in the sights, and clear the mind.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
MLAN12

Generally speaking the GZ250 is on the small side for freeway riding. It does a great job with state highways where the top speed is 55mph. My girlfriend rides a GZ250 and really loves it. We have ridden on Interstate 5 in the state of Washington for short distances. The portions of the interstate that are posted 60mph the GZ handled great. Teresa said that turbulence, and wind was not a problem, and she still had throttle left. We have ridden to Oregon and the GZ handled highway speeds, steep climbs and sidewinds with no problems. Her bike does have a Spitfire windshield. Overall the GZ250 is an outstanding bike for it's size.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

I've had some more experience since my previous post. Fresh asphalt is quite nice up to about 60 or so (and I still have no windshield - but I do wear a full lid and a beefy jacket.) PCH is like this north of Santa Monica and it is very comfortable (and the speed limit is 45-50.) I've gotten a little more used to the "terrain" of the grooved, scalloped concrete but I still can't really relax on it, the bike just doesn't go fast enough, and the wind is quite bothersome. Maybe in another 1000 miles I'll change my tune, but for now I try to ride around them as much as possible.

I've gone as fast as 70 on some backroads, but only on level or downhill or with a tailwind. Uphill, eventually fifth gear poops out and I've got to start bouncing back and forth between 4th and 5th. If I do get a bigger bike, uphill climbs will be the main reason. The GZ just doesn't cut it uphill.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
Moedad

Quote:
The GZ just doesn't cut it uphill.
I took mine up Signal Hill a couple of weeks ago. I dropped down to 3rd before I started the grade. Good thing it's a short climb.

My biggest issue with speeds above 65 is the how the motor sounds wound out. I still have a teenie bit of throttle at 70, but I'm afraid the motor will 'splode if I run it at that speed for a length of time. I know people do it, but...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Uphill, eventually fifth gear poops out and I've got to start bouncing back and forth between 4th and 5th.
Better off the just leave it in 4th.
Stock riders (no 16T mod), how fast can you safely go in 4th, like up a long hill?
My guess would be just shy of 50, since I can almost hit 60 before I wuss out.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #20
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

I was actually dumb enuff to ride 155 miles most of them at wide open throttle on the interstate with no stops. This probably shortened the life of my engine and was not the most enjoyable ride, but I needed to get home asap. It's all a matter of comfort level. The best answer is to try it and see how far you go before you are no longer comfortable.