Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #21
mr. softie

Re: question about freeway riding

The GZ is not all that comfortable on the freeway/interstate, and the bike does get pushed around a lot around traffic. Running at WOT can be nerve wracking, I would love to have a Goldwing for slab work, but I own a GZ250 so I ride it....

That being said, if the rider and the bike are in good condition, and lubrication, valve clearance, tire pressure etc. are taken care of, the GZ will handle all day rides on the slab just fine. In the higher gears you run out of power before you hit redline or float the valves anyway. I have a 15 tooth gear and I can run 60mph in fourth and 70mph in fifth all day. I keep an eye on the oil level. I don't think I am harming my engine at all.

After a long ride on I 95 I realize that most of my fellow citizens are morons and act like homicidal maniacs when out in their shiny metal boxes. I mean push push push. 95 mph in heavy traffic! It is all ME ME ME and to hell with simple courtesy or a semblance of safe driving. I don't take it personally though. I mind my own business and stay to the right. If you can time your trips on the slab to coincide with light traffic periods you will do fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Easy Rider

Re: question about freeway riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
If you can time your trips on the slab to coincide with light traffic periods you will do fine.
Generally good advice, however.......there is a certain tiny number of people who see an un-congested Interstate just as an invitation to go even FASTER......including some bike riders.

It's not being paranoid if they really ARE out to get you! :skull: