Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Sarris

Vacation

I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation. An old friend and I are trailering the HD's to the Fontana Dam Resort in North Carolina, returning on Sept. 6th or 7th. We'll be riding the Cheroholla Skyway and the Dragon's Tail as well as any other neat roads we can find. I'll fill y'all in on the trip and post a few photos when I return. Look's like the weather will be clearing by Sunday and the leaves haven't fallen yet so everything is GO.

As a Florida boy, I've never been in high elevations, or driven really gnarly twisty roads, so I'm a bit apprehensive. (scared shitless actually). O_o

If all goes well (ie, I live through this), I'll be in touch again in about 10 days. Wish me luck!

Sarris

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Moedad

GO SARRIS!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
CANDY

VACATION

sarris, my husband and i will be rideing our goldwing to trenton georgia on friday to base camp and plan on riding the cherohala highway on saturday and sunday.we rode it on a different goldwing 2 years ago on our honeymoon. then we started in robbinsville and rode to tellico plains,this time we are starting in tellico plains and i hope to also ride the dragon.it was a great ride then,lots of twists and turns, at the time (june) the traffic was heavy,but very considerate and all drove pretty safely.don't forget your camera.they say almost every side road has a waterfall or something to see,we missed that before,won't this time.we'll be watching for ya.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Go you! Sounds like it's going to be fun. Stay safe. We'll be waiting here for you when you get back
Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Sarris

Candy

Keep a look out for a fat guy with a black half helmet on a black Harley Streetglide riding with a skinny guy on a silver Streetglide. My plate says SARR1S on a Florida background. We'll be out there somewhere on Sunday. Wave me down if you spot me!! You guys ride safe and hope we see you.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Re: Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
trailering the HD's to the Fontana Dam Resort in North Carolina,
For pitty sake. You just lost 10 biker points for not RIDING there.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
music man

I think he should lose 10 more biker points for riding motorcycles all these years and never getting far enough away from Florida to ride on a twisty hilly road.

Later
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Re: Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation. An old friend and I are trailering the HD's to the Fontana Dam Resort in North Carolina, returning on Sept. 6th or 7th. We'll be riding the Cheroholla Skyway and the Dragon's Tail as well as any other neat roads we can find. I'll fill y'all in on the trip and post a few photos when I return. Look's like the weather will be clearing by Sunday and the leaves haven't fallen yet so everything is GO.

As a Florida boy, I've never been in high elevations, or driven really gnarly twisty roads, so I'm a bit apprehensive. (scared shitless actually). O_o

If all goes well (ie, I live through this), I'll be in touch again in about 10 days. Wish me luck!

Sarris

Sarris, the Dragon's Tail is 218 curves in 11 miles. Speed limit is 30 mph. Rode it last year on rented KLR 650's with a friend from Hungary. Quite an experience on semi-knobby tires. Don't forget to buy a T-shirt and take a bunch of pics whenever you stop for a break.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Candy, sounds like a great ride. If you don't already have a place to stay in Tellico Plains you might want to check out Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge. Lori and Jack Hunt are riders themselves with their eyes focused on rider's needs. Nice little cabins and lots of campsites for campers. Was there for 4 days last year and wished I could have stayed longer.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Sarris

I Get No Respect

Well ER, I always did find it a bit redundant to ride 1000 miles to take a ride. I actually am looking forward to a comfortable and expedient interstate ride up that will get me there faster and with less fatigue. That way I can more enjoy the 1200+ miles of rides we have planned. I will, however, take your -10 without a fight.
:whistle:

And MM, although I've put on a shitload of miles in a shitload of places, I've yet to get north of Atlanta and into the mountains of NC and TN. A new experience at 51 years old. Ain't life grand. I'll take your -10 without a fight also.

Anyway, be cool and I'll be back to pester y'all real soon. You guys are too funny. :neener:

LMAO (as usual)
Sarris