Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Corona Motorsports and... I push started the bike!

Welcome to the latest in my series of pointless rides to destinations I didn't need to go to. This latest installment includes a couple of personal milestones that I think put me a tiny bit closer to entry into the Big Boy club.

#1) I had to push start the bike. I am enormously proud of having done this successfully, because I am the sort of person that calls AAA if my tires need air. I also need to give kudos to whoever posted here how to do it, because that is the only way I knew it was possible. The Unknown Poster had said that this was a maneuver not recommended for newbs, but I have never been accused of listening to the voice of experience. It turned out to be tremendously easy, BTW. On my first attempt, I only rolled it about 3 ft at the end of the driveway and when I let out the clutch, it kind of came to a quick halt. My second attempt, I backed up 2/3's the length of the driveway, got it rolling with a duckwalk and, this time, eased it into first. Fired right up. I was so stunned I didn't even consider calling off my ride over the possibility I'd not be able to start it back up for the return. My driveway is not steep, just a slight incline for the water to run off. I was really quite pleased with myself and the ease of this workaround.

#2) This diversion was a little bit further afield than I had been venturing: 72 miles round trip over some pretty challenging terrain. Google timed it out at over 2.5 hours (in a car, presumably.) One of the more gnarly pieces included a 15 mph reverse camber Ess turn with a half twist in full layout position. Degree of difficulty: Holy F**k!

#3) Rode long enough to join the "My Ass Is Sore From the Cheapo Seat" Club. Well, not that sore. But a little.

Ironically, CMS is only about 9 miles or so from my house. A straight shot down the freeway. But even though I am fully licensed now to go on the freeway, I have yet to get the bike over 60 mph (yes, I know , everybody else has. Trust me, unless I'm going downhill with the wind at my back, mine won't do it. A little bit of incline and you are looking at 55-58 mph tops!) Given that average speed on the 91 is 85, that's just asking to be run over. So I went the long way.

[pbss:1t7oc0n7]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/OCM/?action=view&current=1307b8a8.pbw[/pbss:1t7oc0n7]

Guy in the service department at CMS told me I probably ran the battery down from taking too many short rides (very plausible.) I was able to battery start it twice at the destination, so maybe I'm out of the woods.

Main thing I took away from this trip: the single most important risk factor on these longer rides is not being familiar with the roads. It really takes away a lot of your riding ability if you don't know what lies ahead, where the next turn is, how far you need to go, what the speed limit is, etc. I had a couple of eff-ups on the way out: a panic stop at a stop sign where there was no intersection (weird - the guy in front of me actually sat down on it, and I had to react quickly. Fortunately, I must have developed good instincts. Pulled in the front caliper, stepped on the rear pedal and pulled in the clutch. Laid down some rubber but in a nice straight line. Got the adrenaline going, though... was a little queasy and extra sweaty for the next few miles.) And I almost drifted off one of the less challenging curves. Got a little nervous and was watching the side of the road instead of looking ahead to where I wanted to go. Kept it together though, and mentally kicked myself for making such a dumbass move.

The ride back went much faster and smoother. Even just retracing my steps for the second time made a huge difference. I was somewhat familiar with the roads and turns, and I at least knew when I was past the super tight ess turn and could relax. My average speeds were higher and felt much less clenchy in the twisties. Much more enjoyable than the ride out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Corona Motorsports and... I push started the bike!

Good report! I haven't tried push starting mine. One of these days I should do it just see if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
One of the more gnarly pieces included a 15 mph reverse camber Ess turn with a half twist in full layout position. Degree of difficulty: Holy F**k!
Was that as you're coming down into Chino Hills from Carbon Canyon?

Quote:
Trust me, unless I'm going downhill with the wind at my back, mine won't do it. A little bit of incline and you are looking at 55-58 mph tops!)
Maybe as it gets more broken in, your top speed will increase a bit.

Good job!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Jer

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

I love your posts man.

Awesome.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Was that as you're coming down into Chino Hills from Carbon Canyon?
Yup. It's a doozy. Even the cars seem to slow down for that one... You can see it on the Google satellite map.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Postscript: I figured out what was wrong with my battery: Me. Apparently there is a special place on the ignition past lock called, The Place Where You Think The Bike Is Locked, But We Leave Your Taillight On For You.

I mean, excuse my French, but just what the fuck is that setting for? I discovered it tonight after I did it AGAIN and my wife noticed "your lights are on..." Huh? Oh, hey, that's nice.

Well, I gotta go ride again to make sure the battery is charged. Sigh.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Uh,

I don't think it's actually supposed to be that way. Maybe a broken ignition cylinder or something. Are you sure you didn't actually steal your bike?

I mean really...does your "key" look like this?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Ahh Patrick, you bring back memories of piece of $hit cars from my youth. I did have a "stanley" key for a stretch back in my salad days. Had a preference for the longer handled variety, the better to get a good grip for my little girly hands.

No, I'm still using the official "included" keys on this ride. There is some setting past lock that looks like it has a lit bulb on it or maybe it's accessory (what f'ing accessory is beyond me.) I'm telling you, it's main functional purpose seems to be to leave your taillight on. I'll have to look it up in the MOM because I sound like a dipshit even to me.

After the wife discovered the taillight on this evening (two hours after I returned from Corona) I put the crime scene together. I had been wondering what that strange red glow on my garage door was the night before, but none of the front lights were on and I didn't know it was possible to leave the back one on by itself. By the time I rolled 'er out of the garage this afternoon, the taillight wasn't on anymore because the battery was run down. So I didn't notice it until I did the same stupid thing twice in a row. I just got back from a "charge 'er up trip." Made two stops and it fired right up both times. I'm hoping I didn't do any permanent damage. Even though I'm in the middle one of the largest cities in the country, the Suzuki dealers are either far away or of questionable integrity/competence. I'm not looking forward to getting the thing serviced.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
BigIron

My ignition does that too. I also would like to know why.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
#1) I had to push start the bike.
Wow! Good show.

Couple of tips for future reference.....and others reading: It is better to bump start in 2nd, as it might slide the rear wheel in 1st (what with all the high comperssion of all those cylinders).
One should never attempt a bump start without having your butt ON the seat, at least side-saddle. Othewise you and the bike might become seperated......until you meet again on the ground. :shocked:

Quote:
Guy in the service department at CMS told me I probably ran the battery down from taking too many short rides (very plausible.) I was able to battery start it twice at the destination, so maybe I'm out of the woods.
If you have a battery charger, NOW would be a good time to exercise it. If you don't have one, NOW would be a good time to get one. Experience tells me that once you completely discharge the battery on a GZ, it might take a LONG time (never) to get it back to full charge without some external help.

AND FINALLY:
That last poistion on the switch is called PARK. The original intent, as stated in the owner's manual (RTFM) I think, is for use if you park it on the shoulder of a lonely road at night. I think it's pretty stupid........as is the fork lock on a bike that light.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I just learned something - My bike has a PARK setting. If you turn it back past the fork-lock, it turns on the taillight and will drain your battery.

Seriously, tho. I had no idea that was there.