Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: I15 and I70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Yes Grasshopper, do enlighten us further............. :shocked:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
Moedad

Just to mix it up, consider getting off I-15 and detour through Zion National Park then going north on Hwy 89 to I-15. Real pretty country, and enough small towns to gas up when you need to.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Good idea Moe. The wife and I stopped at Bryce 26 years ago on a sort of combo honeymoon/move when we left upstate New York. Very nice, liked it better than the Grand One. Took the kids there about ten years later, I have some old video of the oldest riding her bike in the parking lot on an RV stop. Okay, I feel old and sad now.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Moedad

Do you have a time frame for this ride? Reason I ask is because you can get off I-70 in CO and tour through the mountains on your way south to NM if it's a time of year less conducive to snow and ice (noticed the wonderful driving conditions in your slide show). You could get off in Grand Junction and head south to Durango, or get off in Glenwood Springs and go over Independance Pass...well, heck, here I am, trying to plan your trip. And you've been to Aspen, so you know what some of that looks like, obviously. Or you could even get off I-70 in UT and go south through Moab and Cortez to Durango, which would lend itself to a more Spring-like time table...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

No time table. And I haven't been to Aspen yet.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
No time table. And I haven't been to Aspen yet.
Whoops. I thought I recalled you saying you hadn't skiied Aspen yet, but I guess I interpreted that as meaning you'd been there, just not skiied there.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

There's a lot of places I haven't been to or skiied at: Whistler, Steamboat, Telluride, Taos, everywhere in UT except Snowbird, the Alps. My family stopped in Jackson Hole on a summertime trip when I was 11, but I don't remember it and I haven't been back.

Despite Water's claims to the possibility, I don't think I'll be combining the biking with the skiing at any point.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
My family stopped in Jackson Hole on a summertime trip when I was 11, but I don't remember it and I haven't been back.
You don't remember the Tetons? Dude...:skeptical:
Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #19
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Do you have a time frame for this ride? Reason I ask is because you can get off I-70 in CO and tour through the mountains on your way south to NM if it's a time of year less conducive to snow and ice (noticed the wonderful driving conditions in your slide show). You could get off in Grand Junction and head south to Durango, or get off in Glenwood Springs and go over Independance Pass...well, heck, here I am, trying to plan your trip. And you've been to Aspen, so you know what some of that looks like, obviously. Or you could even get off I-70 in UT and go south through Moab and Cortez to Durango, which would lend itself to a more Spring-like time table...

He doesn't have a time table, he just wants to go 80 for several hundred miles for the hell of it I guess. :poke2:
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Is there supposed to be a point to motorcycle trips? When the actual zombification starts, I might have a valid reason for getting out there, but until then it's just another pointless distraction to keep my mind off the insignificance of life and its inevitable end. Time tables are for jobs and other "have-to's."

If I have the opportunity, I intend to explore the meandering that Moe has recommended. Sometimes the best part of my trips is the discovery/revelation/novelty of places I have not been to. As it happens, I know Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs well - they are both preceded by relatively hairy sections of I-70 - I think they are both nestled at the base of RM summit climbs. I have always been a little curious about where those two laners go that cross the main artery.