Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Banning Idyllwild Panoramic Highway

Why are you and Busyweb not cruising around together?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

Well, for one thing, Southern CA is a big place and we don't live that close to each other. A bigger reason is I generally am a solo rider. Moedad and I seem to get along pretty good on rides, but that was a surprise. Maybe because we're both former bicycling nuts and spent some time in a pace line. I suspect he's generally a solo rider too. As is BusyWeb, for that matter. There's pluses and minuses to having a riding buddy and, for me at least, I'm more comfortable being accountable only to myself. I don't usually plan my rides out - I go when I go, stop when I feel like it and change the route if I feel like it. Sometimes I speed, sometimes I don't.

But nothing's set in stone. Like I said, I've been a few decently long rides with Moedad and they went pretty well from my perspective.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Moedad

Alan is the only one I've ever ridden with. He might be right about the bicycling thing. When you ride longer rides like centuries (100 milers), it's really hard to coordinate any kind of regular training schedule with another rider just because of the sheer amount of time you have to spend in the saddle. Hours and hours, up to 250-500 miles a week, depending on what ride you're training for. Even more if you're doing a double century. You can get a partner once in a while, especially for short weekend or weekday rides of 20-30 miles, but that doesn't cut it when you're training to do 100 miles or more, so you're pretty much on your own most of the time. I don't do that kind of riding any more, but I still have the mindset of solo riding. I like having a riding buddy, but I like riding alone just as much, or even more depending on circumstances. Like Alan said, being able to change your mind and not worry if what you want is or isn't what the other guy wants is a BIG plus. We both seem to be adaptable in that regard so what riding we've done together has worked for both of us, I think.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
bonehead

That's what riding should be like-no agenda. The only way to cruise in my book.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
That's what riding should be like-no agenda. The only way to cruise in my book.
:plus1: :cool:

Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Sarris

Most Saturday and Sunday mornings I lead anywhere from a couple of pals to 6 or more for 150 to 200 mile rides. Most other times I ride alone.

I enjoy the camaraderie and input from others as to where and what route to ride. Must be a Harley thing? :??:

Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I enjoy the camaraderie and input from others as to where and what route to ride. Must be a Harley thing? :??:

Well, I don't know about Alan, but I haven't been riding long enough to develop a stable of buddies to ride with. I think it would be great fun with a small handful of riders, but very few of the friends I'd make enough personal space to ride with have bikes (I'm not very sociable--good listener, but holding up a conversation is not one of my strong points in general). Every once in a while one of them will say "Let's go for a ride some time." and I say, "Okay." That's as far as it gets. I suppose if a riding buddy was a priority, I'd try harder. Part of it is one of those time things again--trying to coordinate schedules with other people is a lot of work. Seems like the more I plan stuff the more it comes to pieces as the whatever-it-is gets closer. People are just too stinking busy anymore, at least here in SoCal they are. I try really hard to be unbusy (much to my wife's displeasure) so I have "me" time, but most of the people I know don't do that.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #18
Sarris

We meet at a local breakfast spot at 8:00 AM on weekends and who ever shows, goes.

We figure out where to go, what basic route to take, and approximate time we want to get home over breakfast.

We normally go to "I Don't Give a Shit", "Where Ever", or "Who Cares". Sometimes it's a real destination, but most times not.

Not much planning other than that. Simple and easy.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

I have to admit to liking solo riding the most. Riding with Lynda is nice too since we have radios to communicate with without reverting to hand signals or guessing. A real boon when we get separated in heavy traffic and loose sight of the other rider. I did go on a few Sunday rides with a group of Vstrom riders a few times but it was not to my liking and seemed to be a little too much like a race to get nowhere particular. Lynda and I like to just wander around and play "what if we take that road ?"
Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #20
Moedad

Hey, WW, did you notice the extra bike listed in my profile yet?