Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
music man

has anyone used royal purple motorcycle oil?

And if you have did you have good, bad, or no different results.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
bigwonton

Haven't used Royal Purple, but this might be some interesting reading:

A Study of Motorcycle Oils

The usual disclaimers apply - take what your reading with the proper grains of salt.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
music man

I appreciate the reply and the link, but i read that a month or two ago. The problem i have with that report is that Amsoil is

the best or close to the best in every single meaningful category. Considering They are the one's doing the study or posting it,

either way, I Find it far too convenient that they lead or come in the top of their class in all those category's.

But like you said "take it with a grain of salt".

later :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I appreciate the reply and the link, but i read that a month or two ago. The problem i have with that report is that Amsoil is

the best or close to the best in every single meaningful category. Considering They are the one's doing the study or posting it,

either way, I Find it far too convenient that they lead or come in the top of their class in all those category's.

But like you said "take it with a grain of salt".

Yup, Amsoil did the testing and make themselves look good. And their products are very good too. They aren't not just bragging but they are telling it like it is. Over the years I have read numerous reports by various independent testers and Amsoil will be right there on top a vast majority of the time. I started using Amsoil in cages in the middle 80's and their bike oils 3 years ago with great results. Last week we got back from a 5000km trip with the GZ and Vstrom. The GZ used a whole half litre of oil on that ride. That little 250 really worked in all conditions and never missed a beat. It worked hard in heat, mountains, the prairies with headwinds that kept it in 4th gear to maintain 80 kp/h(50mph)and other conditions that made me wish for my pick-up around me. A lesser oil might have been good enough but there is a piece of mind and satisfaction that the bike's oil diet is a good one. Nary a hiccup from the bike, even after muddy roads in the rain and a passing speed of 130 kph(80.6 mph) on the hard top. Oil is cheap compared to an engine or tranny rebuild.

later :rawk: