Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #21
DBG

Re: Seafoam in engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I'm with WW on this one.You can accomplish the same thing by using the aerosol SeaFoam & spray it directly into the intake.But to each his own.
:cool:
The aerosol is called Deep Creep. This way doesn't work as well FYI. I've tried both ways and the best results come from pouring it in. ::BUT TO BE CLEAR:: I'm not trying to convince anyone to do this, especially if you're uncomfortable with the idea, but I do want to explain that it does work for those looking to decarbonize. It's a pain in the neck that I've become very familiar with since I own a Ficht. If you've ever opened a CNG (natural gas) engine and compared it to a gasoline engine, you will see how pretty a carbon-free engine can be. It's something I aspire for in all my engines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
DBG

and yeah i'm new here too. this forum is outstanding. look forward to the learning curve. i'm about to break open the GZ and replace the valve stem seals. doing it with confidence thanks to this forum.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Just for my own curiousity. Are you using regular pump gas in the boat engine or a specific marine fuel ??

Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #24
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG

The aerosol is called Deep Creep. This way doesn't work as well FYI. I've tried both ways and the best results come from pouring it in.
Just FYI:
Deep Creep is the penetrating fluid.The same formula that you put in your tank is available in aerosol.

:cool:

Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
DBG

So just to make sure I wasn't leading anyone astray, I decarbonized my bike this weekend using the procedure i discussed above. I didn't think my bike would have too much carbon build up looking at how clean the oil stays between each change. I took out the spark plug and sprayed a good amount of Deep Creep (easier to get in than seafoam due to space constraints) directly into the empty spark plug port. Then, with the spark plug still out, I hit the starter and let the engine cycle to spread the Deep Creep around inside the cylinder. I DID NOT start the bike, just cycled the engine to move the piston up an down. I then changed my brake pads while letting the Deep Creep soak inside the cylinder for about 30-45min. I then put the plug back in, put the choke on full, and cranked her up. The bike spewed white smoke out of everywhere for about half an hour. I was shocked by how much carbon must have been in there judging by the smoke. Again, I do this to my boat engine once a year, and it puffs smoke for at most 5-7 minutes. About 10 minutes into the smoking, I closed the choke and let the bike idle. Once the smoke stopped, I took her out for a spin to test the brakes and see if there was a change in performance. The was a VERY impressive improvement in throttle response. This bike is new to me, and I figured the sluggishness was just part of a 250 (my other bike is a 1450 harley). The Deep Creep treatment definitely did quite a number on the get up and overall throttle performance of the bike. After returning to my garage, I let the bike idle while rechecking the work I had done. The idle smoothed out noticeably as well. Overall the Deep Creep decarbonizing treatment was definitely effective. There are other treatments out there as well (such as the berryman b-12), but be careful as to what you put in where. Some decarbonizers are solvent or alcohol based, and can deform or destroy plastic and rubber parts like gaskets ans seals. Petroleum based products ( like Deep Creep and seafoam) should not do this if used properly.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG
I took out the spark plug and sprayed a good amount of Deep Creep (easier to get in than seafoam due to space constraints) directly into the empty spark plug port.
Just wondering:In your area,do you not have both the "deep creep" & "SeaFoam" in same size aerosol.Or is this only available in Canada?
:??:

Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Wow, impressive results without any major issues. Maybe more members will do this as a seasonal maintenance job.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
DBG

I've never seen Seafoam aerosol down here (Texas). I've always just gone straight to the Deep Creep for the spray. Maybe it's a marketing thing to remind us Texans that Seafoam has more than one application. Deep Creep also works good as an anti-seize. I always keep a can in the garage. And before anyone asks, I don't work for Seafoam, just like their products They're effective, and forgiving. I've used everything from oven cleaner to pool acid to maintain my toys, and with seafoam you normally don't have to worry about stuff dissolving.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG
I've never seen Seafoam aerosol down here (Texas). I've always just gone straight to the Deep Creep for the spray. Maybe it's a marketing thing to remind us Texans that Seafoam has more than one application. Deep Creep also works good as an anti-seize. I always keep a can in the garage. And before anyone asks, I don't work for Seafoam, just like their products They're effective, and forgiving. I've used everything from oven cleaner to pool acid to maintain my toys, and with seafoam you normally don't have to worry about stuff dissolving.
I hear ya.I love the stuff. :plus1:

Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
DBG

BTW. Forgot to mention- The final and important step to decarbonizing using Seafoam or DeepCreep is cleaning your spark plug. I took the bike on about a half hour ride after the smoking quit, then let the engine cool, removed the spark plug, cleaned and sanded the contacts, sprayed with carb cleaner, re-gapped, and then reinstalled. It's important to remember this step because the plug will most likely be fouled. I know mine was.