Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
trykemike

numbing hand

Does anyone have a suggestion re: numbness in the right throttle hand after 20-30 min driving ? I broke my right wrist several years ago and now that I am back riding I experience a numbness in the 1 st 2 fingers that eventually takes over the entore hand after 1 hr riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Gadzooks Mike

Get a throttle-rocker. In fact, get two, one for each side. Best thing I've ever done for my hands!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... ogId=10111
Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
Get a throttle-rocker. In fact, get two, one for each side. Best thing I've ever done for my hands!
And/or get a large rubber O ring (7/8 to 1 inch), roll it over the bar end weight until it settles in the space between the weight and the grip. This gives roughly the equivalent of the old "throttle drag screw" that was present on a lot of bikes 40 or so years ago.

Might be necessary to loosen the weight a bit and adjust the size of the gap.
If you try this little trick, do it the first time with the BIKE OFF to check out the action and feel. When you get it right, you can dis-engage it by rolling it back out of the crack......like at the first stop coming into town.

Doesn't really provide a (reliable) throttle lock but does allow you to maintain speed with just a TINY touch and allows you to let go completely for a short time...........while holding the left grip, of course! :roll:

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
davidc83

Throttle-rockers for sure. I have them for mine, but I have them on my bars different than the pictures. I install them closer to my thumb position, so if my wrists get tires or hands cramp, I use my thumb to accelerate, and I use the left only for a stabilizer. great things.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Thats a good suggestion david, never thought of putting it towards the thumb for that reason. I might try that.

ALSO... do you wear gloves? If so, try this: Get a pair of very loose fititng gloves. Something that isnt skin tight or when you make a fist, doesnt tight on your fingers. See if the numbness goes away. I been wearing deerskin gloves and my ICON gloves lately and having numbness issues. I switched to an old pair of mechanix gloves which fit a little loose and are much more flexible. Numbness went almost completely away.

Try changing your grip on the bars too. If you notice that you have the death grip on the bars ... that would cause more than normal numbness as well.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Carl

I have the same problem. Thanks for the advice guys :2tup:
Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Tonckawa

I get a numbing hand as well but my 2008 model has about 1 or 2 inches at the end of the throttle that does not move at all. I thought that was supposed to keep your hand from getting numb so a lot of times I would keep my pinky on it. Did not work. In fact, nothing I have tried works. I guess the next step is the throttle-rocker towards the thumb. great advise here. In the 30 minutes I have joined, already learned several things.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
bigwonton

I've noticed some numbness when I find myself gripping the throttle too hard. With all the recommendations I might have to give the throttle rocker a try.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
davidc83

I still have the throttle rockers. Installed them on my C50 also. Used them on a 2500 mile bike trip and no numbness. The only thing which gets numb is my backside, but the backside only gets numb after riding for many hours or 200+ miles at a time :-)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonckawa
In fact, nothing I have tried works. I guess the next step is the throttle-rocker towards the thumb.
Fatter grips helped me a lot. You can get foam slip-ons for about $6.....if you can find them. Takes about 30 seconds to install.

The throttle rocker is NOT operated with your thumb..........but with the heel of your hand, below the pinky.