Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #21
Road_Clam

Re: Clutch and Ticking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I am curious why not to use synthetic in a high mileage bike, since I just changed to synthetic in my Shadow?
Reason #1 is high mileage clutch drive plates have reduced thickness vs new, and that reduced overall thickness allows the clutch spring pressure to be less preloaded, thus less friction effective. Clutch plates eventually obtain a "glazed" surface which also reduces grip against the steel driven plates.

Reason #2 is that high mileage clutches means the clutch springs have been through a lot of heat cycles and they tend to get "laxed" (laxed means the spring looses some of it's "free height") thus also offering less preload on the clutch plates vs, new. This scenario also is an issue with vintage 25+ year old bikes that still have the original springs. They also get "laxed" from being prelaoded compressed for such a long period of time.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I am curious why not to use synthetic in a high mileage bike, since I just changed to synthetic in my Shadow?
Reason #1 is high mileage clutch drive plates have reduced thickness vs new, and that reduced overall thickness allows the clutch spring pressure to be less preloaded, thus less friction effective. Clutch plates eventually obtain a "glazed" surface which also reduces grip against the steel driven plates.

Reason #2 is that high mileage clutches means the clutch springs have been through a lot of heat cycles and they tend to get "laxed" (laxed means the spring looses some of it's "free height") thus also offering less preload on the clutch plates vs, new. This scenario also is an issue with vintage 25+ year old bikes that still have the original springs. They also get "laxed" from being prelaoded compressed for such a long period of time.
Never heard anyone explain that before. Makes a lot of sense. Here's one for the other side of the coin. Using synthetic oil the engine may not develop quite as much heat in the oil and the clutch and springs may last a bit longer.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
fuentes956

ok it took me a while, but today i had time to make the video of my gz250 ticking noise i posted on youtube because i did not know how to posted here, so here is the video let me know what you think thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
blaine

Sure sounds like a valve adjuster backed off,or something similar.You need to take your inspection covers off & have a look.
:cool:

Old 07-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #25
fuentes956

Thanks Blaine I'll check the valves during the week. Do you know how to take off the generator cap off (type of tool) a friend told me that I can use a big washer, what do you thing? Can I ride the gz with that noise? Thanks

Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
blaine

I wouldn't leave it as it sounds pretty noisy.I use a large flat screwdriver or a small pry bar works well.
:cool:

Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Never heard anyone explain that before. Makes a lot of sense. Here's one for the other side of the coin. Using synthetic oil the engine may not develop quite as much heat in the oil and the clutch and springs may last a bit longer.
22 years of racing 125cc motocross I got to know fried clutches pretty well. LOL :roll:

Purchased a original '82 GS1100E and the clutch would slightly slip in 4th and 5th when I would pin the throttle. Dissasembled the clutch and all the plates were right in spec, but the springs were permanantly compressed (loss of "free height") beyond the spec. Did some research, and laxed clutch springs on 70's and early 80's bikes is an issue.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
fuentes956

[]
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
fuentes956

I went to the suzuki dealer today so i can have a quote to check the ticking noise, and they said that is about $120 just to check the engine noise. So i show the video to the guy in front of the office (don't know if he is a mechanic) but he was in the service department and he told me that it sounded like rod knocking, piston slapping or cam chain. i havent lost engine power i can easily go 55 with wind and 60-65 with no wind i weight 225 so i thing is not bad. What do you guys thing any help info i appreciate thanks...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

If it is a rod knocking it will knock until the engine turns into a grenade. You need another opinion to confirm the first opinion. If it is knocking you'd be best off buying an engine on Ebay.