Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Arkygs250

2 week owner ride report

Well, I had the 2001 GZ going on 2 weeks now. I have owned dirt bikes most of my life but a street bike is a new experience for me. I did own a 1978 Honda XL250, a 1983 Honda XL250, and a Honda CM200T during my high school years by heck that was 20 Plus years ago. I'm still a little stiff in the corners. I'm still learning to trust my tires and do the leaning thing. However I am getting more confident every day. I took my daughter for a ride the other day (I'm 220lbs and she is 140lbs). I was surprised with how well this little bike handles with 2 people and the extra weight. I couldn't really tell she was back there until I came upon a hill.
I rode the bike the first week with the rear shocks set at the softest setting before I read the manual and found out that they were adjustable. With my weight and the shocks set at the softest setting the ride was, well let's just say "bouncy". The third setting seems to be the best unless you double then I would suggest the fourth or fifth. I wouldn't call the suspension good but it is tolerable. The rear brakes are a little weak but that is to be expected with drum brakes. The engine power is adequate for a 250 but not powerful.
Although my comments may sound bit negative I have no complaints about this bike. I bought this bike to commute back and fourth to work and save gas. And it does the job beautifully. I love this bike and can't wait for the commute to and from work.
Oh yeah, I took her out for my first night ride a couple of days ago. What a learning experience that was. Those of you living in remote areas in the South probably knew this but I didn't realize. Can you say "BUGS" anyone?
Another lesson learned on my morning commute on a 4 mile stretch of remote black top and my last quote of the day. "Holy @#$@% DEER!" I must pay attention!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Sarris

Your New Bike

You may find some benefit in a 16 tooth front sprocket as (I think) it greatly improves ridability. Also, with about 18 hp on tap and an 8000 rpm redline, the GZ seems to works best wound up into the 4500 to 6500 rpm range. I highly recommend the tachometer noted in the how-to topic on site. Less than $60 shipped. And yes, most GZ'ers will downshift going up hills, as the 5th gear is an overdrive cruising gear.

I go about 295 lbs and I set my shocks on the next to the firmest setting, no bounce at all. They are light duty cheap shocks, so I may eventually replace mine with some upgraded and slightly shorter Progressive Suspension shocks.

The GZ rear drum brake as you've noted is not as substantial as a disk. If the pedal sinks down too far for comfort, it probably just needs adjustment. It's important to use both brakes as 65% of your braking should come from the front brake. I can haul the GZ down so damn fast it'll get you rear ended, so you need to be careful when stopping quick and keep an eye on your rearview mirror.

As far as the bugs go, we have a herd of them here in Florida. My pals joke that a good biker in Florida can tell the bug species by the taste. Gross, but you sure will learn to keep your mouth closed. Also, a good windshield is a must with an area with alot of bugs. We have small deer here as well, and they like to come out just before dawn and at dusk. Avoid them at all cost!!

It sound like you are enjoying the ride, so be safe, and practice, practice, practice.

Sarris

:chop:
Old 07-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
El Diablo

I used to have an old Honda 250 XL 20 years ago. Other than replace the fouled spark plug once a week, it was a great bike. Still miss it to this day. I rode that thing up steeper than steep hills and through every kind of terrain you can imagine. I can still remember "accidentally" slinging grass and dirt all over my mother-in-law at a picnic. Good times a plenty with that little bike.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads