Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
peanut

Online quote vs In store quote

I'd like to get an OTD price from a couple local dealers. Since they are Suzuki dealers, I can get a quote through the website. But my concern is they will give me a different price than if I just went in and asked. But maybe if they see me, semi-young and dumb, they will give me a higher price than if I just got an online quote.... Never purchased a vehicle, so I dunno if there's haggling or what! There is a dealer a measly 5 minute drive from my house, so I will probably end up going there, but options are good.

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Online quote vs In store quote

There is often a separate sales staff for online. It's very unlikely they would not honor their online quote and the online quote is likely to be the most competitive. However, you may find some dealers will not always give you a quote unless you do come to the dealership. The most important thing is for you to decide what you are okay with paying. Don't make the negotiations into World War III. Nobody wants to overpay, but you don't have to turn into Johnny Asshole to save $50. Check on-line, check a few dealers, check for used bikes. If you are looking to save money, you should be able to find a late model used GZ without too much difficulty - they are considered a "starter" bike and most GZ owners trade up after six months or so, so there is a steady supply. If the dealer only has one, you're gonna pay list price, plus shipping and assembly.

To be honest, if you can exercise some self control, here is the best approach: Figure out what you will pay - I think they dropped the price on the 2011's to $2999. They aren't going to discount that. Add $500 for shipping. now you're at 3499.
I'm not an expert, but I'd be willing to bet this is close to rock bottom. you got to add taxes. They will try to add on other stuff (like assembly, etc.) You can probaby get them to drop that. So add in your taxes and go to the dealer and ask, "I have twenty minutes before I have to leave. Can you sell me a GZ250 for (whatever.)? Don't say anything else, unless they ask what color. If they badger you, just repeat, "I've got (15) more minutes. Can you sell it to me for X?" If they don't present you with a written up deal for "X" in time, or are not within seconds of producing it, WALK! Tell them you are leaving. Don't tell them you'll be back, or you won't be back, just tell them you're leaving, you may look elsewhere and thank them for their time. 9 times out of ten they will try to write the deal right then. Don't make any threats or be a dick, because you might have to come crawling back in there if you can't get your price elsewhere and it's best to get a bike close to the house for service and advice. The key thing is, you have to be emotionally prepared to walk. Don't fall in love with the bike cause then they have you.

Do not expect them to cut $500 or more off of a $2999.99 bike. This is the cheapest bike in the world and they are going to get close to list for it unless the guy is closing his doors or something.

If you really want to save money, buy a 2009 or 2008. You can probably get one for $1800. Good luck - let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Always ask in person.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Is this going to be your first motorcycle?
If so, you will get the same advice from most people, here and elsewhere. Buy a used bike, much cheaper at 1/3-1/2 the price and you are going to dump it for sure, (probably and hopefully a soft dump, but with scratches, dents, broken plastic and a bruised ego the result). After you gain experience, you gravitate or jump up to a bigger, more powerful bike, like everybody does. If you buy a new GZ for a starter bike, you will lose a lot of money when you try and sell it in 6 months to a year. Look for a good used one, they may also have a lot of accessories that you get for a greatly discounted price. Try eBay and Craigslist.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
peanut

Thanks for the info. I don't have an issue paying the listed price, just unsure of what else there is... difficult to plan when you don't know specifics!

And it will be my first bike. I probably will end up with a used one in the end, but a new bike sounds nice for maintenance. Or really, knowing what things should be like. Not really close with anyone that rides around here to go inspect a used bike.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
mrlmd1

There's no difference in the maintenance of a new vs. a used bike in the long term, altho a new one has higher initial maintenance due to the need for the first 600 or so mile service which includes oil/filter change and valve checks and a good going over of the bike. If the dealer does that expect to pay HUNDREDS of dollars, If you do it, you only have to pay for the oil and filter. If you do buy a new bike, tell the dealer you want that initial service thrown in with the deal.
You're still better off with a used bike for your first ride.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
for the first 600 or so mile service - If the dealer does that expect to pay HUNDREDS of dollars
WOW!.. I'd hate to have to pay American prices, on MY pension.. I've just checked my records, & over here I was charged €40.64 ($57.42 at today's exchange rate) & that was for all parts & labour. :jawdrop:
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
peanut

I mean to do most maintenance myself. What I really meant was the "stuff happens" aspect of maintenance should be lower on a new bike vs an older one.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Online quote vs In store quote

Pea, for the most part, not much "stuff" happens in the first 5k except for maybe a crash (which will be apparent) Most GZ owners don't put more than 5k on the bike before either giving it up or trading up. Thread lots of them with 600 1500 etc. I gave an '08 I ride to work with less than 5k.

Watch for bikes older than four years they ll need tires. And if they haven't been ridden, the carbs probably hosed and the gas tank might be rusted. See if you can find one 1-2 years old with 1500-3000 miles and no gas tank dents.

Even so, it's a good idea to have a mechanic check it out. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
peanut

Thanks all for the kind words and insight. I'll worry less about OTD and instead turn my mind to gear. :-p