Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
dannylightning

Re: i got new tires, installed on 5-2-09

well thy charge 75 bucks a hour for genearal labor but they have a set price for putting on tires they quoted me about 55 bucks a tire if they halve to take the wheels off the bike and put them back on. instilation charge for the break pads was 15 bucks (cus they had the wheels off).. i think he gave me the coat for 90 bucks. im sure the screws were cheep he said they had them and i said throw those in too don't think he gave me a price on those.

something might have been cheeper than they quoted me. after he rang up the bill he read down the list of every thing they did and told me a total price all i said was sounds good, gave him the money he gave me the receipt, i stuck it in my pocket, threw on the coat,put my rain coat i wore over top of it, took a quick look at the bike saw the tires on there, saw the break pads on there on there and went home, i got on here for a min and went to bed, not feeling too good the last few days and i needed to catch up on sleep any ways. don't really feel like getting up to get the receipt. but for 220 and some change im happy.. i was expecting to pay around 250

im sure i looked super cool cruzing down the road in my rain suit. glad i had that or i would have been soaked..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Make and model of jacket please.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
dannylightning

it is a cortech coat, i dont remember the model off hand

Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
well i got my new kenda cruiser tires on.

I've had these tires on for about 1000 miles now and can report all is well. Had to go 100/90 on the front, though. I'm assuming you did, too. Doesn't handle any different, but I swear I can see that it's smaller (maybe it's just in my head b/c I know it's smaller).

Keith

Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
dannylightning

yeah 100-90 in the front they dont make the 110-90.. the new tires feel better already and they look a lot better too. to me the front tire does look a bit smaller but that dosen't bother me.. the rear tire looks a lot beefier tho from the rear view. the old ones had lots of tread but they were old and had some dry rot and had not been drove on all that much.

so far i am quite happy with the tires. i have heard good things about them.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
David Bo

Ok guys, here is a question for you. I went to my local Suzuki dealer last week and asked about new tires. I am not in dire need right at the moment but will probably need them by the end of the summer. He found a certain brand of tires (I forget which one in particular) that made the proper rear tire but only made 120/90 R16 for the front (as opposed to 110/90's). I thought to myself - COOL, a little bit fatter tire might look good in the front. I realize that it "might " have a small affect on the speedo? Not sure... Anyway, the guy said that putting a 120/90 tire on the front would change the whole geometry of the bike and said that he would not recommend doing it.

It really isn't a big deal to me, as I said, I will not actually be doing anything until around September. I am just curious to hear your opinions. I kind of like the idea of having more rubber up front in addition to it making the bike look bigger (yeah, I know, if you want the bike to look bigger, buy a bigger bike... I got it). Anyway, I believe that there is enough room up there for a "slightly larger" tire. Anyone have any thoughts? Good Idea? Bad Idea? Buy a bigger bike?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bo
Good Idea? Bad Idea? Buy a bigger bike?
I'd say maybe to all three! :roll:

The front tire on a GZ is already a LOT fatter than most bikes, even some that carry a lot more weight and speed. I don't think I would consider a wider tire on the front......but that's just a wild guess and personal bias.

If the only choices are larger and smaller, I'd lean toward smaller.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #18
mrlmd1

Do a search on here for tires - there are numerous threads about this issue. I'm riding on Cheng Shins, 120/80-16 on the front. Seems like most manufacturers
don't do 110-90's any more, so you are left with 100/90 or 120/80 which really doesn't make any significant difference in ride, handling, or anything else. Won't change the speedo at all, or at least you'll never appreciate the miniscule difference.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
dannylightning

[quote=Easy Rider][quote="David Bo":tda4a2qu] Good Idea? Bad Idea? Buy a bigger bike?[/quote]

I'd say maybe to all three! :roll:

The front tire on a GZ is already a LOT fatter than most bikes, even some that carry a lot more weight and speed. I don't think I would consider a wider tire on the front......but that's just a wild guess and personal bias.

If the only choices are larger and smaller, I'd lean toward smaller.[/quote:tda4a2qu]

i think a little smaller is a better option also. you can get them for a great price too .[url="http://www.jcwhitney.com/KENDA-K671-CRUISER-ST-TIRES/GP_2015164_N_111+10211+600014323_10111.jcw"]http://www.jcwhitney.com/KENDA-K671-CRU ... _10111.jcw[/url]. i really like them so far.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
diffluere

Has anyone tried these tires or this website to order from?

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ts_id=4024

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ts_id=4056

I've heard a lot of good things about Pirelli tires. I think my friend has them on her ninja?

I have a mechanic friend to switch out the new tires for me. Mine are the original 2002 tires that came on the bike, and even though they only have 4200 miles on them I'm still worried. 7 year old rubber just sounds like a bad idea.