Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #41
db274302

Re: Can't get my bike started.

It's pretty much the same result as when the fuel is in the prime position. I seem to get stronger starts when it's in the prime position put it has turned over and started shortly in the on position.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #42
b1pig

radical?

sure. take off the left side cover. cup your hand over the airfilter/intake. crank engine. that'll draw the fuel in. do it too long, it'll seriously flood the carb, though. had to do that to Lori's bike before i pulled and thoroughly cleaned the carb with carb cleaner.

not hard to do, but there are some small parts involved and some soft screws and such.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #43
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by db274302
I think I mentioned earlier that I have the choke lever moved completely towards me and I am not touching the throttle until it starts up in order to try to keep it going.
If you did, I missed it. Sorry.

Two things to try:
1) RESIST the temptation to "touch the throttle to try and keep it going". It might work better with NO throttle at all right at first.
2) Reduce the choke to about 3/4......if not on the first attempt, then after it dies once.

I am still suspicious that the choke might not really be working when you move the lever.
Has it been sounding like it's trying to run really fast when it fires for those few seconds.......or does it sound weak, like it's barely running ??

Old 10-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #44
db274302

OK!!!!
I wasn't going to touch the bike today due to pure frustration, but I did. I also took the advice of covering the air intake while I was trying to start it up and bingo the engine turned over and fired up. At this point I assume that covering the air intake forced more fuel into the engine which in turn got the engine going. So I was able to take the bike out for about a ten minute ride. I had to keep revving the engine in order to keep it going. The moment I let of the gas the engine stalls. So maybe this does have something to do with the carb vacuum hose. The only problem is I'm having a hard time identifying which hose is the vacuum hose.

So again I need to thank everyone who has been helping me with this issue. I owe you guys big time!

If anyone has anymore ideas about the engine stalling with out me giving it throttle that would be awesome.

Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #45
blaine

The vacuum hose goes directly on to the back of the petcock down to the carb.If this hose is leaking or disconnected your bike will not idle.Also you fuel would only run in prime, as it needs vacuum to work on Run or Reserve.I think your choke is not operating at the carb end even though the cable is moving.When you blocked air to get the bike to start you effectively "choked" the bike.
:2tup: :cool:

Old 10-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #46
Easy Rider

Quote:
At this point I assume that covering the air intake forced more fuel into the engine which in turn got the engine going.

If anyone has anymore ideas about the engine stalling with out me giving it throttle that would be awesome.
Your engine is running WAY lean and/or the choke (which really is an enricher) is not working.

What you did by blocking the intake was make a manual, old fashioned CHOKE.

I think carb cleaner has been recommended before and I repeat that advice again now with EMPHASIS. Since you have figured out how to keep it running for a bit, the cleaner should be more effective.
[edit] I see that you have Seafoam in with the gas. How MUCH Seafoam did you use ??

I also repeat the suggestion that you should inspect the BOTTOM end of the choke cable to be sure it is actually connected and moving something at the carb.

It is also possible that your idle stop screw is set too low but certainly isn't the only problem.
You also need to see if you have a stock air filter or not.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #47
db274302

So I checked the vacuum hose and and the other hoses running from the carb and all look to be in good condition. I could not find any leaks or cracks in any of the hoses. I then unscrewed the choke cable from the carb and was able to see the little pin/plunger assembly moving back and forth as I moved the choke switch back and forth. It seems to be working just fine.

As for the Sea Foam, at first I added about 2FL OZ into the empty tank and let it pass through the carb and out the carb drain tube.
Then I added 2 gallons of gas mixed with 2 Fl OZ of sea foam into the tank and ran a small amount of the mixture through the carb and out the tube.
After my air intake experiment which finally got the engine going. I filled up the rest of the tank with another 2 Fl Oz mixed in.

The air filter that is in the bike right now is very clean, it was one of the first things I checked. As far as it being a stock air filter, I have no idea.

As of now the engine is still firing up every time I try, fuel is set to "on" and the choke is in the "on" position (all the way towards me). It will fire up and I can keep it going if a keep revving the engine. Once I let up on the throttle it refuses to idle and will stall.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #48
bonehead

Where is the idle adj screw during all of this? Try getting it started and hold the throttle where it is running and adj the idle screw to keep the engine going. I dont know, but sounds like you have the idle screw adjusted off too far.

Also I did not see year or milage for this bike. Can you give us that please.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #49
db274302

The bike is a 2007 and has 2400 miles of it. Throughout this entire experience I have been playing with idle screw and it really hasn't made a difference. At this point the screw is turned pretty high.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #50
Easy Rider

Quote:
The bike is a 2007 and has 2400 miles of it. Throughout this entire experience I have been playing with idle screw and it really hasn't made a difference. At this point the screw is turned pretty high.
It's been a valiant effort but, at this point, if you have had a couple of runs with the Seafoam in the gas and there hasn't been any noticeable improvement........I'd say it's time for a trip to the shop. It doesn't appear that "we" are making any headway.