Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 10-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
marye

Combo luggage/backrest

Hi,
I am just wondering if anyone has purchased the combo bag/backrest from Biker's Friend. If anyone has tried it I would like to know if they liked it and which size bag they bought.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Combo luggage/backrest

Marye, first off, WELCOME. Just looked at Biker's Friend. That would probably work successfully but I would suggest one large enough for your helmet storage needs. If you care to, go back to early 2007 in bike mods and look for a write up and pics of Lynda's GZ with a hard case/backrest combo. Half the price and not that hard to do with a little planning.

This little sweetheart went half way across Canada and back without a whimper. Lynda has since upgraded but will always have fond memories of her first bike.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
alantf

Are you looking for a box to fit behind the pillion, or in place of it? I ride two up, & my wife reckons that the SHAD box, which hasn't got a fitted backrest, is more comfortable than the padded backrest I had on before I fitted the box.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
marye

Thanks for the welcome. I do like the way Lynda's bike looks and I imagine all that space in the trunk would come in very handy. I tend to carry a lot of contingency items with me so this looks like the way to go.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Trypanosome06

Does anyone know how that box is attached? There seems to be a black pad under it, but what's holding it down? I'm trying to figure out how to attach luggage to my TU250 without ordering the only tail rack available, which comes from Japan. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
BillInGA

I think that's the mounting plate that comes with the trunk. But then the question is: where to mount the mounting plate?

Take a look at the How To section. One member fabricated a luggage rack out of 1/8th inch aluminum bar stock. I was working on my own before I bought the Vulcan. Even though I didn't have the side supports done it was already very sturdy.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
But then the question is: where to mount the mounting plate?
To the bolt holes that used to fix the pillion????????????
Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
But then the question is: where to mount the mounting plate?
To the bolt holes that used to fix the pillion????????????
Alantf you are pretty smart for an old retired guy. I just used the existing bolt holes for the pillion seat to mount a light steel plate with in turn was the base for mounting the trunk and it's supplied mounting plate. The trunk can be removed from it's supplied mounting plate with the push of a button. The rearmost end of the metal mounting plate was bent down to match the curvature of the fender and allow the bolt to install hassle free.
Lynda found the bike very comfy for her back and the added storage was nice with or without the soft bags. She actually had 2 more bags bungeed on top of the soft bags while we were travelling with no apparent problems due to weight or wind resistance.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
bo_TxGzGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Marye, first off, WELCOME. Just looked at Biker's Friend. That would probably work successfully but I would suggest one large enough for your helmet storage needs. If you care to, go back to early 2007 in bike mods and look for a write up and pics of Lynda's GZ with a hard case/backrest combo. Half the price and not that hard to do with a little planning.

This little sweetheart went half way across Canada and back without a whimper. Lynda has since upgraded but will always have fond memories of her first bike.

Sadly Biker's friend is retiring. So there wont be any until someone with money and time buys it and starts making more.