Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Pelagic

New GZ250 Rider in Portlaoise, Ireland

Hi,

I'm Ted Squire, a retired American ex-pat living in Ireland.

I haven't owned a bike for some years, so it's learn to ride all over again. I can't get Irish licenses based on my Mass licenses, so I have to take 2 theory tests, two mandatory sets of lessons and then two driving tests. After getting a full motorcycle ticket, we have to wait two years to ride anything over 29??Hp. That doesn't bother because I want something smallish just for sunny days and the local country roads that go up into the Slieve Blooms (mid-Ireland smallish mountains). It's just a lot of paperwork and expense. And as you know, Retired = limited fixed income

As a youngster, like everyone, I started on a Honda 50 then had to have a Triumph 500, a Z1 Kawa, then a Triumph 750 triple. In my late 30's I needed something smaller (better mileage) so I added a GN250. So you don't have to guess why I just purchased the GZ250. Oh, and I forgot the whole list of 650 BSAs, Triumphs and Yamahas. Those machines twice took me thru all of the lower 48. But today I don't think my butt wants to do much motorway and certainly 2-3 hours is more than enough time in the saddle.

My bride bought me the bike and then demanded that I purchase a full set of protective gear. So that's all set. I'm not sure how she learned the phrase, but she wags her finger at me and says ATGATT. And since I don't want my keys to get lost, I'll do as I'm told. (she's a gorgeous Irish redhead so I can't complain. Did your partner buy you a bike??)

No need for me to post any photos. Black Bart is a completely stock 2008 with just 6000kilometers on the clock. A Harley guy had it as his around town bike, and except for a few water spots, from delivering it to me, the machine is showroom. It feels, sounds and looks new. Well that's a tiny fib. I hate badges and have removed everything but the "Marauder" on the tank. My bride stopped me from stealing the dental floss from the bathroom or the tank badges would also be gone. The decals were a 10 minute job. Sorry but they ripped coming off or I'd donate them to someone who has repainted and needs them.

I can't take Bart on the road until I pass my theory test and get 16 hours of training, but I have a few questions. I'll fire them, one per topic, into the correct forums.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm glad to have found this forum and be the new kid on the block.

ted
:::;;;;;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
blaine

Re: New GZ250 Rider in Portlaoise, Ireland

Welcome to the forum. :cool: :2tup:

Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Pelagic

All my cars have also been de-badged. With those the dealer is REQUIRED to take them off before delivery.

ted

Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Pelagic

It's been 26 years since I've "thrown a leg over". Some of the beginners course might come right back, but when test riding bikes I felt really out of it at slow speeds. But once the feet came up it was OK.

I'm happy to take instruction on lane position, etc. I have no idea if that part will come back easily.

I'm also reading both English and American riders books.

Anything that helps an invisible rider.

ted

Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
PimpS

Welcome Pelagic! Ireland is great to cruise. I was near Cork and Dingle Bay 10 years ago... Great scenery!
Geeez, i hardly wait to start riding my metal horse!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
greatmaul

Hi and welcome! My wife took a (pedal powered) bike tour through Ireland some time back and found it and the people just wonderful, and it sounds like your wife is very wise and wonderful indeed. Maybe some time in the future my wife and I will take another bike tour there, but this time on motorized wheels.

Anyway, I'm sure you've heard of him, but wanted to highly recommend David L. Hough and all of his books: "Proficient Motorcycling" and, etc. That is, hands down, the best and most informative book for riding on the street, imho. I also loved, "Ride Hard, Ride Smart" by Pat Hahn, which sounds like a book on racing, but is really about how to survive on the street on a motorcycle. Lots of great tips and ideas in that one, too.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Pelagic

Thank for the suggested reading. Despite the number of miles I have on the road, I'm now much, much older and want to relearn the right way and have the instructor reduce my bad habits.

Does any one else remember the days of drinking beer while headed to the beach.

ted
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
PimpS

Get yourself a pint of a guinness, i can't remember the beer label from Cork, to me it was better then guinness
BTW, u tease pelagic, way too much, when looking out and see all that snow here...
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Way

Welcome Pelagic! Does your wife have a sister? :whistle:

One of the first things I plan to do in Spring is take the GZ over to one of the school parking lots and practice my slow speed riding skills even though I have my license. It's kind of fun and keeps me from looking like an idiot at stop signs. :roll: