Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
ruxpin76

Re: Troubleshooting -- rich carb?

UPDATE 7/28/10:

Today I drained the tank, then removed the carb. I looked in al the passages and made sure they were clean, blowing them out and examining. I checked the needle in the diaphragm and found it was a single-position circlip. After reinstalling the carb and partially blocking the air filter (HiFiltro), still ran like crap. Very boggy on accelleration with a stumble past 1/2 the rpm range.

Removed carb again and modified circlip needle slightly. I shortened the "top" and tapered it like it was, then added the stock washer and one additional washer underneath the circlip and above the plastic spacer. The 2nd washer is just a touch thinner than the stock one, for a total of maybe 1.75 "effective notches" lower on the needle. I re-installed and removed the blockage from the air filter. Went for a ride, and voila! Almost like new!

The "pickup" still isn't perfect, but I got 78 MPH on the freeway, so that beats the barely 60 I got before the circlip mod.
I plan to re-tune the idle circuit to regain the pickup, and will post my final here (though each bike will vary, so don't take it as gospel.)

I also added some Berrymans, but I doubt it's having an effect as I found no blockages.

Will post back later this week or early next. Thanks for the help!

~Ted

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
blaine

Re: Troubleshooting -- rich carb? UPDATED 7/28/10 8pm

You have gone this far with success you will have no problem changing to larger main jet if need be.Good-Luck.Keep us posted!

Old 08-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
ruxpin76

Re: Troubleshooting -- rich carb? UPDATED 8/16/10 5:30p

UPDATE: Removed 1 washer from the 2 I'd shimmed the needle with, and replaced the stock air filter with the HiFlo Filtro unit. RUNS GREAT!!!! So glad to have it back to "normal". Of course compared to the MSF course bike I used this past weekend, it ran great before!

So.....some of you may have to add 1 shim or move the circlip 1 notch down if you replace the stock filter with the HiFlo Filtro unit. For those of you that didn't, I don't have an explanation... Cheers,

~Ted

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
music man

Re: Troubleshooting -- rich carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpin76
The only mod I've made (haven't done Berryman's yet) is the HiFlo Filtro in the stock airbox. I thought that was a drop-in replacement?
I don't know about that.

I do know that a normal, stock engine is SOOoooo close to being too lean already that any less restriction from the filter pushes it over the edge and it doesn't run good at all.

I suspect that might be the case with the HiFlo but don't know for sure.
Why else would it be called "HiFlo" ???
(This is like the fourth time I have explained the deal with the HiFloFiltro Filters, but here goes)

I am the original one who posted the HiFlo Filtro filter part number for our bikes. It is not a "HI FLOW" filter, the brand name is HiFloFiltro, they also make oil filters and racing filters and such, but this particular filter is not marketed in ANY WAY to do anything but be a cheap replacement filter over the stock one.

As a matter of fact, when I switched over to them (I used the Hiflo most of the time I owned my bike) the only difference I noticed was to my pocketbook, and because they are metal and don't have that little black plastic downtube thing going down inside the filter, it was a little noisier on the intake side (to me) that is it. The only reason I was scared to try one to start with is that this particular filter is not made specifically for the GZ, it is actually for the GS500, but I took a leap of faith one day and bought one, dropped it in, and haven't bought a suzuki brand air filter for anything since then. Like I said the only difference I ever noticed was in my wallet.

As a matter of fact, I have HiFlo brand filters in the current Suzuki that I have too. Runs just like it did with the stock ones in there. And it is notorious for being EXTREMELY LEAN from the factory also.

Here check them out for yourselves. http://www.hiflofiltro.com/

[on a side note, the original credit for this find goes to Jonathan180iq, he listed the part number for the K&N air filter that would fit our bike (but again is actually listed for the GS500) and I just took it from there and looked up all the filter brands available for the GS500]
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
blaine

I also switched to HiFlo filters in my Kawasaki.Factory filters are $52.00 a side,HiFlo filters were $22.00 for the pair.The filters look identical to O.E.M ones,and the bike runs perfectly.

:2tup: :cool:

Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

The same applies to HiFlo oil filters. Cheaper to buy and gets the job done. The GZ is a HiFlo HF 136 oil filter.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
dentheman

Are these HiFlo filters available in auto parts stores? (I haven't been in one in ages.) I have seen them on-line.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #18
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Are these HiFlo filters available in auto parts stores? (I haven't been in one in ages.) I have seen them on-line.

I don't know about that, but they are available at my local Suzuki shop (which I will NEVER step foot back in because of the way they have treated me the few times I was in there), I have resorted to using the Hyosung dealer here in town, they are the only non-suzuki shop here that will work on a Suzuki, Plus they are over the top nice to there customers, and cheaper than the Suzuki shop to boot.

I know that some auto parts stores do carry some aftermarket parts and maintenence items for motorcycles, but I don't know about that one specifically.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

The HF 136 is quite common for use in many smaller engines. Check out auto parts stores, many power sports toys use this filter so look around. The local Yamaha shop always has a couple under the shelf for whatever comes in. Snow machines, quads, bikes or Suzuki riders.