Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 11-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
cleensmoke666

from st.louis to st.charles and back

This past sunday me and my buddy who just bought a yamaha 650 crotch, and two of his pals decided to take our bikes out about 60 miles west of st.louis. First off i tragically misjudged the temperature. I wore thermal undies jeans three shirts,bakalava for my face and joe rocket jacket with inner shell. When i first left out i was thinking it would warm up.....i was fine for about the first 25 mins of the ride. It was my first group ride, it being a Sunday morning traffic was relatively light so the ride up 64w was pretty smooth and un eventful. i had the 250 full throttle avg 65-70mph to keep up with the other bikes. I'm not exactlt sure how cold it was when i left but bout time we go to this 2 lane 94 im sure oit was at lEAST 10 DEGREES COOLER. Being so far away from homewasnt nuttin i could do bout it..N-e-ways the trip on the two lane was fun there was literaLLY NO TRAFFIC and speed limit was 55 so i was cruising alone nicely..very nice windy roads through this little farm like community, a very nice change of pace from st.louis. The gz struggled a lil on some extended hills..it did fine other than that..after about 30 mins of riding we all pulled over for a second...i did not realize how cold i was until i extended my numb fingers with quite amount of discomfort..We road about 20 more mins before the cold was getting to the best of my buddy..o we all decide to head back to the highway so we could return home once we got to 64 east we parted ways..now the ride back on the highway t interesting cuz my hands were already without feeling and on top of that it started to rain.
that was the longest ride home i eva had on the gz i was so cold i think i was beginning to hallucinate and wanted to kick my self for not wearing these insulated gloves i had just bought...when i parked my bike in my garage and got off i was so cold i could barely bend my legs..went in the house and paSSED OUT from fatigue...moral of this story neva eva underestimate the weather

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

That is a ride I can relate to all to well. Spent the better part of an afternoon in rain and falling temperatures. Almost left the highway twice before I clued in. The drop in body temp is almost unnoticeable until it is almost too late. Always be prepared for any weather conditions is what I have learned. Consider grip heaters along with your winter gloves. Wind proof yourself and layer up as necessary. A rain suit will stop the wind and water quite nicely in my more recent experience. Hot or cold, you have to dress for it or you could be in serious trouble.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: from st.louis to st.charles and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleensmoke666
....moral of this story neva eva underestimate the weather
The moral of the story should be: When you realize you're in trouble, STOP or go back home. :oops:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
trykemike

Hey cleansmoke ,,,

I went for my last short ride last Saturday in the late afternoon temp was 40 F . Riding maybe - 10.

I like you , dressed in layers with long-johns jeans heavy socks boots a light jacket a heavy lined jacket with leather sleeves and gloves.

the face remained fine. ( adjusted windshield ) the hands started getting numb after 30-40 mins I use the engine for heat at lights . I rode about 80 kms round trip @ speeds upto 75 mph ( 120 kph ).

Fortunately I have a hot tub in the yard ( 101 F ) so , when I arrived home I just flopped in after getting out of the riding gear. ( NICE ).

I am parking the bike for the winter because snow is starting to make an appearance.

BTW I live in TORONTO ONT CANADA. Temps at freezing now in the evening.