Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
3-D Video

introduction

Hi!

My name is Bill, I'm in my mid 60's, and the Last bike I had was over 30 years ago. The last three cars I bought I couldn't raise my arms high enough to drive them. 1,2,3 purchases in as many months. I thought I was totally screwed…That was ten years ago.
I just discovered I CAN ride a motorcycle (Duh!). Bought a GZ250 last week and it's totally brought me back to life
I bought the bike used (2000) in Portugal, with lots of questions and no manuals. One huge "Thank You" for those manuals!
I look forward to going through all your posts to learn more about your experiences, as I find ways and accessories to fit the bike to my own peculiar needs.

Great to meet you all, and thanks again for those manuals

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
blaine

Re: introduction

Glad to hear that buying a bike made such a difference in your life.Welcome to the forum.Good luck.Ride safe!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
5th_bike

Welcome to the forum 3D, and enjoy your ride!

I got mine 2½ years ago. Sometimes I think about getting something bigger, but then when I'm on it I think, why the heck should I have to get a heavier bike, this GZ250 is just so nice and light, it's like you're on a flying carpet :rawk:

Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
3-D Video

Thanks for the welcoming(s)!

Still "frog walking", but that "flying carpet" thing sounds really, really good!
However, just the thought of getting back on the road makes my grin so big that It's a surprise I don't already have bugs stuck between my teeth.

My ride is in Portugal, which is a lot like my home state of California was in the 50's… Mostly two lane black-top and lots of back roads. Lots of curves. Lots of scenery. Lots of interesting places to go.

Yeah Blaine, It's one Heck of a difference!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
blaine

Up until 4 years ago hadn't rode for over 20 years.Quit riding because of family responsibles.Family all grown up now.Glad to be back in the saddle.Forgot how enjoyable and peaceful riding can be.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
dhgeyer

There have been times in my younger days when a bike was the only transportation I had. I can only imagine the difference being mobile again makes to your lifestyle. Congratulations! You've got a great bike.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video

My ride is in Portugal,
Hi there, I notice that you're in Belgium, so to get to Portugal you've got to go through France & Spain. Do you mean that your ride (bike) is still in Portugal, or that you're going to ride in Portugal, or you've moved to Portugal. I'm a bit confused :??:

BTW, as regards your remark about extras for the bike - if you're in Spain at all, check out the bike shops for parts by SPAAN (out of madrid). You can get their catalogue off the internet before you go, & I reckon they're the best bet in Europe, as there there aren't many bits available for the GZ (or Marauder, as you'll find it's called in Europe) :2tup:
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
3-D Video

alantf writes:

"… I notice that you're in Belgium, so to get to Portugal you've got to go through France & Spain. Do you mean that your ride (bike) is still in Portugal, or that you're going to ride in Portugal, or you've moved to Portugal. I'm a bit confused"

Yeah, that is confusing. I'd say the answer is yes to all three
I just got back from a few weeks in Portugal, where I bought the "Marauder". My wife is retiring from the E.U., and we'll be moving there for good this December. We're reconstructing an old stone house in a small village near Tomar. We'll be going back down for a few more weeks in May… She steers while I navigate and "back-seat" drive. I think she'll be as happy as I am that I have my own set of wheels

Thanks for the heads-up about SPAAN! As you suggest, you don't just walk into a Suzuki dealer and poke through the stock there. Maybe in Lisbon.
BTW: How do you go about adding quotes and smilies?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-D Video
BTW: How do you go about adding quotes and smilies?
"Quotes" - click on "quotes" (top right) of the box you're replying to. A new box will open, with the quote. Remove what you don't want, with the backspace key (keeping the [quote] boxes intact) then type in what you want to say.

"smillies" - whether in "quote" or "reply", put the curser where you want the smily to be, then click on the smily you want (on the left of the box, assuming "disable smilies" is unticked, under the box) the symbol for the smily then appears on your text, & turns into a proper smily when you submit. :2tup:
Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
mole2

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear that your ride has given you some freedom. I took up riding recently at 58 and it's a blast. I never rode a bike before other than being on the back of a friends bike back in 1969 (once). I took the MSF BRC to get started and had purchased a 2007 GZ250 which had only 2430 miles on it from someone in my neighborhood. I got a great price on it and love riding it. The riding was on my bucket list so with a move from NY to SC it was the thing to do.

Ride safe my friend.