Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #21
alantf

Re: small bike

Just noticed the two orange lights lit up in the photo. I've seen from other photos that American law seems to require lots of lights & reflectors. I don't know of anywhere else in the world that requires all this illumination. Does this make it any safer? I'm not condemning, just asking a genuine question.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #22
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil
Maybe some day I will get the sporster, but for right now I have decided on the S40 for getting me around town, to and from work, and improving my riding skills.
Sounds to me like you are right on top of things. Keep up the good work!

And now a word from our sponsor...... :biggrin:
Why is it that you are seriously considering an "upgrade" at this time?
What do you need that the GZ doesn't do?

Last time it was "a year or two" but now you seem to be actively shopping.
Or is it just that chronic "new bike" virus that we all seem to have lurking in our brain somewhere ?? :biggrin:
Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Does this make it any safer? I'm not condemning, just asking a genuine question.
Yes, in a couple of ways.
When it comes to being noticed, generally more (and different color) lights are better.
It marks the single headlight as NOT being one side of a car with a burned out headlight.
It also gives you some kind of forward facing lights should the headlight fail while moving......not enough to help you see much but hopefully enough to keep you from being run over while you are trying to find a safe place to stop.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #24
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Just noticed the two orange lights lit up in the photo. I've seen from other photos that American law seems to require lots of lights & reflectors. I don't know of anywhere else in the world that requires all this illumination. Does this make it any safer? I'm not condemning, just asking a genuine question.
Actually they just require the front turn signals and brake light to be illuminated at all times (atleast where i live). Reflectors are not necessary. I yanked all my reflectors and warning decals off long ago (both bikes).

And generally speaking, the more lit up you are at night the more you will be seen. I added purple LEDs to my shadow 1. to be seen better from the side and 2. because it looks wild

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #25
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Dupo,

I've been on the wrong side of the majority when it comes to advice (I felt that the MSF course was overrated and largely a waste of time.) Here's my two cents if anyone cares:

1) It helps to put your advice in context. If you can't tie your shoes without assistance, think rollerblades are for daredevils, and haven't read anything since high school, well, you probably SHOULD take the MSF course. But if you are similar to me, I think you can get a lot more out of a 25 dollar book and put your money towards a better jacket.

2) I A lot of these issues, (bike size, windshields, ATGATT, DIY vs dealer, mods) are not black and white and there is not necessarily one right answer. .
As long as we're disagreeing with each other and voicing opinions, I'll disagree here and put it my 2 cents too. I think, Alan, you got a lot out of that course that you didn't realize. Practice with shifting, braking, twisties, collision avoidance (veering) etc, maybe came easy to you, but without practical experience and hands-on close-by supervision and advice from an instructor, I don't think you would learn that as well as from reading it out of a book. IMHO all newbies should take that course and I feel it's improper or bad to discourage it. You might need a better jacket to protect you if you don't take the course. My opinion.

All opinions should be prefaced with the fact that it's an opinion only, and preferably on what evidence it's based, and as Alan said, in context, rather than it's a rule of law or statement of fact that must be adhered to. Most of us understand that, but occasionally someone comes off seeming too strong, or, perceived by others as being too strong, that their OPINION in some gray area is better or righter than another's, sort of like my God is better, stronger, than your God. Some of us undoubtedly ARE righter than others when it comes to advice or answers based on their experience and knowledge gained, but all our OPINIONS (based on anything other than firsthand knowledge) are equal. Take them for whatever they're worth. And if we don't agree, don't start spinning wheels and burning rubber. My opinion.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
alanmcorcoran

Mrlmd, I stand by my assessment of CA's MSF as largely a time waster for the average, semi-coordinated man and I've debated it elsewhere - but I'm already overly guilty of introducing off topic debates into inappropriate threads, so I won't respond to your comments here. I think my thread was MSF course or something like that. If you throw down there, I'll be happy to respond. I do feel there is considerably more merit in posting one's perspective regarding their actual experience with real events than positing about the relative strength of supernatural beings whose existence, by definition, must be taken on faith.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
Moedad

I'm more on Alan's side of this. The course was good for some basic practice skills, but I could've learned those in a parking lot. I had a bit of experience on dirt bikes back when I was a kid, but, probably like Alan, I think my years of bicycle commuting and road riding prepared me more than the course did.

That's all hindsight though. I don't think it was the wrong choice because I didn't know what it would be like until I took it. I don't think it would be a "wrong" choice for anybody, but I think there are people that could get by without it. That's a highly personal decision though. I wouldn't tell somebody to skip it without personally knowing them, nor would I tell them they MUST take it without personally knowing them.

The biggest plus for me in taking the course was that it made my wife feel better about me riding, and the test at the end was accepted by the DMV for qualification in getting my license.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
mrlmd1

Alan said , "I do feel there is considerably more merit in posting one's perspective regarding their actual experience with real events than positing about the relative strength of supernatural beings whose existence, by definition, must be taken on faith".

And Moedad, you guys from CA really like to stick together and support each other, huh? Prop 8? (just kidding). :roll: As long as you practice in the parking lot, fine, I just think you learn more if there's someone telling you what and how to do it, every little bit helps, And I wonder how many a..holes just get on after a 2 min. lesson and try to figure it out on the road. And how do you get it to the parking lot if no one showed you how? From a book? From the dealer's intro? IMHO, not a good idea. But........end of discussion, I hope.

I agree we shouldn't hijack the thread here to another topic and I don't want to debate this. I was just trying to say we all have our opinions and should just listen and learn from each other if we can. We will all do what we want anyway, and shouldn't get upset if someone else has a different point of view. Just make your point, with some reason behind it if you can, then let it be if someone else has a different view. No reason to argue, it's not going to solve anything.
And I don't even want to start or participate in any discussion or argument about all those supernatural beings, :??: faith, :??: etc., 'cause that's going nowhere fast, unless you want too say the GZ250 is a gift from whoever you want to believe in.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
you guys from CA really like to stick together and support each other, huh? Prop 8? (just kidding). :roll:
It was a pretty close vote here, so chances are good we cancelled each other out. :whistle:
Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
alanmcorcoran

Dupo, we need a emoticon for "Personal foul, offense, unnecessary, off-thread discussion." (I believe I will be the Rasheed Wallace of this penalty.) I'm thinking a zebra style ref, with a whistle, perhaps working out in left field and consulting with a horse of a different color.

And, yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Moedad:

Quote:
The biggest plus for me in taking the course was that it made my wife feel better about me riding, and the test at the end was accepted by the DMV for qualification in getting my license.