Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: what's your gas milage, 80 mpg here quite happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
it is surprising that .1 of a gallon would throw it off that much.
To put things into perspective (hopefully):
When filling your bike, the difference between 1.0 gal and 1.1 gal. is 10% roughly.
When filling your car, the difference between 15.0 gal and 15.1 gal is .2%.

You should be able to get a much more accurate picture of your mileage after you have used 10 gallons or so.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
burkbuilds

My combined around town/highway mileage is usually right at 70mpg. I was getting a little less than that before I put the windshield on, and since I replaced the exhaust and adjusted the carb. I seem to be getting a little more, between 72-76 most of the time. I weight 210 and i rarely go over 55 on the highway. I did one round trip to Atlanta last Summer and kept it pretty much all out just trying to keep from getting run over on I-75, about 250 mile round trip and my mileage went all the way down to 58 mpg, but I was keeping it over 65-70 the entire time, topped out at 77 going down a hill. I seem to get better mileage around town than I do if I'm cruising on the highway.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I seem to get better mileage around town than I do if I'm cruising on the highway.
What you just described is NOT "cruising"......at least not on the GZ it isn't.
Cruising on the GZ tops out about 60 or so. I think it's happiest about 55. :cool:

Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
mr. softie

The last tank I burned in my GZ returned 80.9 mpg, the best I had ever done, mainly because it was a long easy ride to remember the ol' 99 by. Steady cruising at 40-50mph on country roads. The worst I achieved was 54.1 mpg on a tank burned at wot out on I95 running down to Annapolis. I try to post my fuel ups at Fuelly. http://www.fuelly.com/ Makes it easy to track your mileage with comments, price paid per gallon, price per mile, trends etc. I am always amazed at the econo-boxes getting 20mpg! So even the 55mpg that seems to be about the worst you can get on a GZ is worth putting your face in the wind, so to speak.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

I have become an almost daily visitor to my local Mobil with the Strat. I don't really know what my gas mileage is, but, basically it comes out to: one trip to the Mobil for every two rides. I never put gas in my "cages" (wife handled that) so I find it ironic that I am now Mr. Gas Pump since I started riding motorcycles. (Plus the Stratoliner likes the pricey gas.) Somewhere I thought I read there was an "auxiliary" tank for the Strat, but it sounded like a joke. Maybe I should look into it.

Enjoy your 60+ mpg on the GZ. That one goes a lot longer in between trips to the filling station.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #16

quote] I think it's happiest about 55. :cool:[/quote]

Funny, I rode into work this AM and thought exactly the same thing. Beautiful morning, two-lane back roads with some nice twists now and then, going 55 - 60 mph the whole way . . . I thought, "This bike just shines in these conditions." I don't like taking the GZ on the freeway . . . the fun factor disappears for me.

Keith

Old 04-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I don't like taking the GZ on the freeway . . . the fun factor disappears for me.
Maybe I should have said the bike AND the rider seems to be happiest about 55 !! :2tup:

Even though there are a few people who say the Interstates are "no problem", I think your feeling is shared among almost ALL 250 riders as none of them will really keep up with the traffic very consistently (except maybe for the Ninja 250).

My feeling changes from "fun" to apprehension....as a certain part of my body clenches up......even when I am on a bike that WILL keep up with the prevailing speeds. :roll:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
Chris

I usually get between 70 and 75mpg, but I ride more conservatively than most people. And I get better mileage using Regular fuel. Well documented.
I enjoy country roads more, like everyone, but I do not hesitate to go on the interstates when I have to get somewhere. I run 68-72 with no problems, but, again, I prefer the country highways. RIde a lot in beautiful north Georgia.
Next weekend is the motorcycle weekend in Tennessee at Camp Living Stones. Weather looks great and I am really looking forward to it on my GZ.

Chris, Atlanta
Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I usually get between 70 and 75mpg, but I ride more conservatively than most people. And I get better mileage using Regular fuel. Well documented.
I enjoy country roads more, like everyone, but I do not hesitate to go on the interstates when I have to get somewhere. I run 68-72 with no problems, but, again, I prefer the country highways. RIde a lot in beautiful north Georgia.
Next weekend is the motorcycle weekend in Tennessee at Camp Living Stones. Weather looks great and I am really looking forward to it on my GZ.

Chris, Atlanta
camp living stones, what town is that in. or is that the town.

im a bit scared of the highway yet, i want to but scared. Memphis Tennessee = lots of stupid drivers and packed highways most of the day,
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I don't like taking the GZ on the freeway . . . the fun factor disappears for me.
Maybe I should have said the bike AND the rider seems to be happiest about 55 !!
i know i am, going over 70 for a few seconds sure was fun tho but wouldent want to do it for a long period of time, a few seconds was thrilling first time ever going that fast on a bike and all. but i definately like the 40-55 mph range hands down.