Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #111
bwader

Re: Rejected inspection: front turn signals

A thought I had was to hook up a diode in between the two signal wires on both sides to prevent feedback.

The way I did was tested it with wrapping wire around one turn signal lead on both sides like explained above to a diode with current flowing to the signal indicator bulb and other wire of bulb to ground. It lit up this way and could get it to blink like normal by changing the wiring.
Putting diodes in between the wires would keep current flowing just to the turn signals.

The very first day I had my bike inspected, the other car mechanic mentioned he had a friend who wired his turn signals with toggle switched.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #112
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwader
A thought I had was to hook up a diode in between the two signal wires on both sides to prevent feedback.

The way I did was tested it with wrapping wire around one turn signal lead on both sides like explained above to a diode with current flowing to the signal indicator bulb and other wire of bulb to ground. It lit up this way and could get it to blink like normal by changing the wiring.
Putting diodes in between the wires would keep current flowing just to the turn signals.

The very first day I had my bike inspected, the other car mechanic mentioned he had a friend who wired his turn signals with toggle switched.
Why don't you just order that ready made adaptor from J&P Cycles and wire it in. There is no current draw involved other than the indicator bulb. The right side wire and the left side wire get wired to the wires with the dioes and the "Y" configuration gets hooked up to one side of the socket and the ground to the other. It changes the setup from a metric setup to a US type setup is all it does. You'd be done right now and happily riding instead of working on the bike.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #113
bwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2

Why don't you just order that ready made adaptor from J&P Cycles and wire it in. There is no current draw involved other than the indicator bulb. The right side wire and the left side wire get wired to the wires with the dioes and the "Y" configuration gets hooked up to one side of the socket and the ground to the other. It changes the setup from a metric setup to a US type setup is all it does. You'd be done right now and happily riding instead of working on the bike.

Yeah riding it right now with an inspection sticker would be great. I'll order it, its just 8 bucks. I tried making my own to save on some time, but now its been days after that. But anyhow I'll try it, then go from there

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #114
mole2

Quote:
Yeah riding it right now with an inspection sticker would be great. I'll order it, its just 8 bucks. I tried making my own to save on some time, but now its been days after that. But anyhow I'll try it, then go from there
Anything yet?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #115
mole2

Hmmmm...leaving us hanging. lol

Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #116
5th_bike

Hope he's OK.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #117
bwader

My internet has been out for a couple weeks and my phone isn't "smart" enough to post but I can read this page from it.

Anyway, That diode kit mention before from J&P cycles I couldn't get it to work.

But, even better news is I found out that in Virginia where I live and North Carolina where I am close to.....Motorcycles DO NOT NEED TURN SIGNALS! But if they are installed they must work! So I took the front and rear signals off with no lens for the turn signal indicator light too.

It passed! He told me I just need new front brake pads and not to forget.

I got home and put the turn signals back on and now I am not so frustrated and I rode to and from my work 2 days so far. About 40 miles roundtrip so 80 miles so far.

I haven't had any other problems just feel so much better being able to ride legally now. I did a max speed test on my local highway rode and got up to 66mph on GPS. Which is great for me I don't need speeding tickets and don't have much traffic to deal with on my route. Also I weigh 240 pounds.

This GZ is sooo much better than that 150cc china scooter I had and top speed was 55-58mph gps. I had 65mpg on a 1.6 gallon tank. Now I have a 2.9 gallons before reserve and I had to fill up every 2 days or 90 miles on that scooter.
I'm anxious to ride a few more trips to/from work to see what my gas mileage will be. I have about 5 miles of 55mph road then the rest 15miles on a trip is 45mph or less.
On my Sentra I get 32-36mpg and have maintained 40mpg hypermiling for a whole week.
When I get some more time I need to try that diode kit again, but I got my front disc brakes on my car and GZ to do first.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #118
bwader

s
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #119
bwader

I didn't mean to have this on more than once. Sorry
Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #120
mole2

Quote:
My internet has been out for a couple weeks and my phone isn't "smart" enough to post but I can read this page from it.

Anyway, That diode kit mention before from J&P cycles I couldn't get it to work.

But, even better news is I found out that in Virginia where I live and North Carolina where I am close to.....Motorcycles DO NOT NEED TURN SIGNALS! But if they are installed they must work! So I took the front and rear signals off with no lens for the turn signal indicator light too.

It passed! He told me I just need new front brake pads and not to forget.

I got home and put the turn signals back on and now I am not so frustrated and I rode to and from my work 2 days so far. About 40 miles roundtrip so 80 miles so far.

I haven't had any other problems just feel so much better being able to ride legally now. I did a max speed test on my local highway rode and got up to 66mph on GPS. Which is great for me I don't need speeding tickets and don't have much traffic to deal with on my route. Also I weigh 240 pounds.

This GZ is sooo much better than that 150cc china scooter I had and top speed was 55-58mph gps. I had 65mpg on a 1.6 gallon tank. Now I have a 2.9 gallons before reserve and I had to fill up every 2 days or 90 miles on that scooter.
I'm anxious to ride a few more trips to/from work to see what my gas mileage will be. I have about 5 miles of 55mph road then the rest 15miles on a trip is 45mph or less.
On my Sentra I get 32-36mpg and have maintained 40mpg hypermiling for a whole week.
When I get some more time I need to try that diode kit again, but I got my front disc brakes on my car and GZ to do first.
Ok. Maybe I can help you to get the kit from J&P to work. Lay out the "Y" harness you got from J&P so that one of the wires with the diode is to your left and one of the wires with a diode is to your right. Cut the wire on the left that "feeds" the indicator socket and attach it to the wire with the diode on the left. Next cut the wire on the right that "feeds" the indicator socket and attach it to the wire with the diode on the right. Now you have the indicator socket with two wires on it. Connect the remaining wire on the J&P harness that has no diode to one side of the wires on the indicator socket. It doesn't matter which one. That will now be the 12v feed to the socket. Connect the remaining wire on the indicator socket to a ground. Put the bulb in and all should work correctly. Let us know how you make out.