Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
alanmcorcoran

Funny you looked that up...

...There is also a pretty nice bike (bicycle) trail (runs along the Santa Ana River to the golf course) but "motorized vehicles" aren't allowed. (I think the GZ, small as it is, still qualifies as motorized.) Ironically, the bike trail goes right past a Motocross course where you can see the dirt riders flying over the rollers. Suppose I could duckwalk 'er through there.

Turn on the satellite image, and choose the option "avoid highway" and you'll see what I mean. I live on Brianna Way in Anaheim.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
Easy Rider

Re: For us fruits and nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
...in Sunny California, there often isn't a non-freeway option that doesn't triple the mileage.
Lots of things are "inverted" on the left coast.

Where you are, I question the usefullness of a small bike/scooter for communting......unless you are REAL close to work.....which, in itself, is a rarity. If you actually intend to commute on the freeways, the GZ probably isn't a good choice.

So, a GZ in your environment, would be more of a pleasure vehicle, I would think.
In a lot of places, the traffic on the freeways is lighter on the weekends but IIRC where you are, that doesn't even really apply.

Silk purse, sows ear........and all that.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
alanmcorcoran

Commute's no problem...

...My office is about 4 mi's from the house. No freeway nec. (I chose the location precisely for that reason.) It's the pleasure rides that are the challenge. Not to worry. If I stick with it, I will get something bigger for the freeway. Maybe even with a windshield and everything. Remember, the freeway cops ride BMW's out here.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #24
Jenny

Re: Commute's no problem...

Quote:
...My office is about 4 mi's from the house. No freeway nec. (I chose the location precisely for that reason.) It's the pleasure rides that are the challenge. Not to worry. If I stick with it, I will get something bigger for the freeway. Maybe even with a windshield and everything. Remember, the freeway cops ride BMW's out here.
I love my windshield. I can't imagine doing higher speeds without it!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Moedad

Quote:
My office is 8 miles, no freeway necessary either. Hardly any turns even. I make a turn out of my tract and a turn into my office complex. Couple of turns negotiating the inner roadways and parking garage and that's it. The most exciting part of the ride is going through the tunnel under the runway at Long Beach Airport.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
My office is 8 miles, no freeway necessary either. Hardly any turns even. I make a turn out of my tract and a turn into my office complex. Couple of turns negotiating the inner roadways and parking garage and that's it. The most exciting part of the ride is going through the tunnel under the runway at Long Beach Airport.
My job is, sadly, less than a mile from my house. Since getting my GZ250, I've had to start leaving 20-30 minutes early so that I can take the round about, long way in and still get to work with enough time to change out of my gear!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Jer

Mine is 22 miles or so from home via the interstate. (60mph avg)

I'll be criss-crossing thru town and taking about 45min now with the GZ. Hitting 40mph max.

Something tells me it'll be more fun though.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #28
mr. softie

I enjoy the GZ on the interstate cuz it eats the miles up at 65 to 75. I am amazed by this little motor! I had 305 and a 450 Hondas that had less guts. Without a windshield any bike will be hell above 55 or so. With a properly sized and adjusted windshield it's a blast. I have near still air at 65. As far as maintaining top speed got to Keep the revs up is all. I have read here the 250 redlines at ~87 mph or so. No worries about over reving at 75. (I have hit 83 indicated a few times.) I find that I tend to ride as fast as I can when on the I road, and get a little more speed by rolling off the throttle a bit. And no speeding tickets on the GZ :rawk: unlike on my Moto Guzzi (135 in a 55) :blush: Plus 65 to 75 MPG as opposed to 35 to 40 on a bigger bike. Those savings buy a pretty good dinner!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
Jer

What does a windshield cost for a GZ250?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
What does a windshield cost for a GZ250?
Aside from the small one offered by Suzuki, none are made specifically for the GZ.
Most any "universal" shield can be made to fit with a little tinkering.
Prices range from ~ $80 to $200 or more.