Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
diffluere

Re: Gear Shifting

As mentioned by someone else, I don't actually stare at the spedo when switching gears, but the speed limit on campus is 20mph. I can ride around in first and yeah, it's an annoying sound so I usually switch to second. When I get stuck behind a bus or something though it's useless to keep shifting between 1st and 2nd every 100 yards so I'll just stay in first. Like everyone else said it depends entirely on the situation.

I might in reality be going somewhere around 18-19mph. It's definitely NOT 12mph though! IIRC redline in first is only 22mph but I've never revved it up that far. I'll actually look tomorrow on my way to school and let you know. Motorcycle research is always exciting..

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
GZ Jess

I definitely listen, to know when to shift. However, I also shift out of 1st as soon as possible because I can't stand the jerkiness of the throttle and the "whining". I did read the manual when I first got the bike and started shifting close to specks but I noticed particularly going from 4th to 5th that you can hold out a lot longer and if I shift anytime before the 45 mph mark it chugs in 5th (so I usually hold out to around 50-55). I definitely downshift for hills. If I am by myself with no traffic around I can afford to let my speed dip but if I am in formation with 15 bikes I have to pop it into 4th to maintain a constant speed on the hills.

Have fun! Jessica
Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
zenbutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
The GeeZer's redline is 8500+ rpm. I have a tach and I was surprised how much "powerband" there is. They are meant to rev, hence those 3000 mile oil changes. I like the powerband even better with the 16 tooth front sprocket. Using the engine's capability isn't abuse.

I had to stop reading right here to comment... I totally agree with you on this subject. When I first got my bike about a year ago, I babied it. I shifted when the book said to do so. I never got it over 60-65 mph.

After taking a trip to Nashville from Chattanooga back in April, I'm not as cautious with her. This bike (mine at least) will hit 80 mph. And, I feel like I have plenty of power up until about 65 mph. Instead of shifting at 4-5000 rpms, I'll take it up to what I feel like is 6500 or more. Now, the little bike is screaming, but I'm coming around to the idea that motorcycle engines are meant to scream. That's where their powerband is... And, fyi, for the new owners, dropping an ounce of carb cleaner every other tank or so has really helped with the power as well.

I'm sure you old farts will disagree with a lot of this post. And, that's fine, too.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Sarris

My tach shows about 1000 rpm per 10 mph +/- with the 16 tooth front sprocket..... very handy. It'll cruise all day at 60 mph. and you can get all they way thru an intersection without having to upshift.

My powerband really doesn't taper off until about 7000 rpm. Cruising at 70 is out (with my 280 lb ass aboard). I do use (not abuse) all the power she has.

The GeeZer is what it is, but it's even better when you wind it up a bit.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbutcher
Instead of shifting at 4-5000 rpms, I'll take it up to what I feel like is 6500 or more. Now, the little bike is screaming, but I'm coming around to the idea that motorcycle engines are meant to scream.
You're pushing the envelope. You might get away with it for a long time and you might NOT too.
Single and twin cylinder "long stroke" engines are NOT meant to "scream". Their most efficient power generation is with low to medium end torque.....not screaming horsepower.

If you want to see a small engine that IS designed for screaming high end horsepower, ride a Ninja 250 sometime. I think someone said that the red line was something like 14,000 rpm......and it will scream along at 12,000 all day long.

Like I mentioned before, we've only had two riders come here and report engine failures (not counting things like "no oil"). One liked to make it "scream" before every shift and the other ran his for long periods at 80 or slightly above. Since you seem to be doing both, I wouldn't want to give odds on the longevity of your engine. It was NOT designed to be riden that way.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

As has been said many, many, (MANY) times on here - use fifth gear as an overdrive. In most conditions, you will get more speed out of the bike in fourth - even though the engine is going around a lot more. I don't ride mine that much on the highway, but when I do I try to get it over 60-65 in fourth before I consider going to fifth. If there is any wind or incline I just leave it in fourth. Mine won't do 80, but if there is a tailwind and the road is flat I can hit 75 in fifth. Most of the time I have to content myself with fourth and 65 as there is no tailwind and the road has a grade.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
blaine

I have 16T front sprocket,carburetor has needle shim and 130 main jet,Hi-Flo air filter,and aftermarket exhaust.My bike pulls steadily from 60 kms in 5th gear.I never need to rev the bike out in 4th.I normally cruise at 110 to 115.I rarely need to down shift for any hills.But I only weigh 140 lbs.

Most of my riding is on the highway.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
As has been said many, many, (MANY) times on here - use fifth gear as an overdrive. In most conditions, you will get more speed out of the bike in fourth - even though the engine is going around a lot more. I don't ride mine that much on the highway, but when I do I try to get it over 60-65 in fourth before I consider going to fifth. If there is any wind or incline I just leave it in fourth. Mine won't do 80, but if there is a tailwind and the road is flat I can hit 75 in fifth. Most of the time I have to content myself with fourth and 65 as there is no tailwind and the road has a grade.
There's something really weird going on here with the American bikes. With my European, I can change up into 5th at 60km/hr (37mph?) and can still accelerate up to 70 mph with no problem. When I'm joining the autopista (120 km/hr limit) from a 50 km/hr limit road, that's always how I do it. Accelerate to 60km/hr in 4th, change up to 5th, then continue accelerating in 5th, up to around 100/110 km/hr. BTW the handbook says to get into 5th at 60 km/h, & in this case, although it seems a low speed to you, it really does work on my GZ.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, you may have a 2 fold benefit working for you . 1st you have the European carb settings. 2nd, you may have the benefit of being closer to sea level than most GZ riders. Something to think about.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
There's something really weird going on here with the American bikes. With my European, I can change up into 5th at 60km/hr (37mph?) and can still accelerate up to 70 mph with no problem.
It's partly the bikes but mostly, I think, the riders and the terrain.
While the acceleration might not be "quick", it is there.....unless you are going into a head wind or uphill. A windshield helps too.

I had a 16T front on mine and had no trouble getting on a 65 MPH Interstate.......but not around major metro areas that were heavily travellled......or hilly......or windy.