Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #21
Gadzooks Mike

Well, with a 16T sprocket and the needle shim mods, I hit top end around 70 mph. I'm 5'8" and about 180lbs.

This bike cruises nicely at 55 and 60 mph, and does it well. If I want to cruise at 90, I'll buy a different bike. As for me, I like my little Thumper.

I met several guys on the road who asked me about the bike and how fast it went. I told them all that they could outrun me in a heartbeat, but that I could keep up with them just fine following normal speed limits and safe speeds. Not one of them sneared, and all of them were impressed that a little 250 could make a 2000 mile trip.

80mph on a GZ250 on the straight with no tail wind? Maybe with a tow rope and a crash dummy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #22
Jordan310

I have a speeding ticket to prove it.
It was actually 79Mph in 5th on a very flat slab of freeway. No tailwind, actually a few side gusts, and the cop clocked me 3 times to insure that it was correct.
Nah, my bike is happiest at about 65Mph. Sounds pretty angry at 70-75, and is yelling for dear life at 80. Hard to get it there, but its doable.

Interestingly, since I've shipped my bike to Florida where the humidity is extremely high, and the rain and wind are a bit harder, I've lost that super power to jam around at 80.
My new top speed ends up to be about 77Mph.

In any case, I find it interesting how some peoples riding patterns, gear shifting, and actual bikes vary so much in speed, limitations, and rideablity.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #23
johnboyhick1

FRONT SPROCKET

ive looked several places , with no luck , does anyone know a larger front sprocket can be purchased, even 1 tooth would satisfy my thinking that the rpms should be a little lower at 55 / 60 mph. thanks johnny

Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: FRONT SPROCKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyhick1
ive looked several (?) places , with no luck , does anyone know a larger front sprocket can be purchased, even 1 tooth would satisfy my thinking that the rpms should be a little lower at 55 / 60 mph. thanks johnny

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=317
Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
Easy Rider

Re: FRONT SPROCKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyhick1
ive looked several places , with no luck , does anyone know a larger front sprocket can be purchased, even 1 tooth would satisfy my thinking that the rpms should be a little lower at 55 / 60 mph. thanks johnny
Looks like Patrick did a little of the work for you.
In addition to that, do a search here for "sprocket" or "16" or "tooth".
+1 tooth on the front is highly recommended.....in most circumstances....but ONLY one.
The little thing just doesn't have the horsepower to cope with more than that.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Jordan310

Its got the power, it just was not designed for it.
In any case, after modding my bike and doing everything possible to it - then crashing it and buying a Ducatti - Ive learned a few things.

1. Modding this bike is fun as hell, and the bike (stock or modded but modded even more so) gets attention.
Its a great looking little starter bike that looks a little like a Harley, and is a bit different.

2. It can with very little modification and 0 to the engine itself reach a top speed of 85Mph, a likely kept top at 80Mph, and a realistic held top at 75.

3. When you reach the point of feeling that the bike just is not strong enough, fast enough, or too weak when it comes to wind, rain, power etc ... its time to get a bigger / stronger bike. This little guy is a fun bike for sure, and if you use it for daily commutes in the city, and to save gas around town - its awesome. Its just not quality, durable, or powerful enough in the reliability and power dept. for long trips. The bike was not designed for that.

4. The 16 tooth sprocket is not needed. I eventually took it off, and it made little difference with the way I rode, and keeping that top end. Argue with me all you want, but I know better. I have modded this bike so much, that it barely rode like a Suzuki.

5. In the end, and overall it was fun. But I completely changed my mind on a few things. If I were to do it all over again, I would not have modded the bike to such extent. My suggestion to you is to learn as much as you can on it, ride it stock, then move up to a 650 or 750cc. Get that down, and move to a 800-1200cc. When you can say that you know how to handle the power of the GZ, get out of tricky situations by reflex, know the way they handle inside and out, then start looking for a bike with an aftermarket part crowd, and a reliable engine. Upgrade.

6. This was an awesome forum for me while I had the bike.

Good luck, and ride safe.

- Jordan

:2tup:
Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Sarris

The GZ

I want to be a disagreeable old bastard regarding some of Jordan's comments.

Specifically, I think that the GZ is a very high quality motorcycle built to a price point. The GZ's durability is second to none if properly maintained and this fact is supported by it's choice by alot of (most in Florida) MSF rider courses. This is also proven by the fact that in the third world it's popularity is virtually unmatched. In fact it's damn near bulletproof. With a 425 lb. passenger load it is an ideal choice for some overseas families as their primary transportation, sometimes with the entire family on board. It's ability to carry this heavy load and run on almost any fuel (with the overseas low octane head) make the bike an outstanding value for a very low purchase price. It's agility and light weight make it an great choice for any rider, newbie or not. It is a 65 mph bike all day long. How fast do we need to go? The only reason you feel so underpowered on the interstates is that Americans have a propensity to overdo damn near everthing. Most ignore the posted speed laws, refuse to stop at stop signs, will not use their turn signals, talk on cell phones, and they basically drive like shit. Compound that with a monsterously oversized vehicle that most have no business driving in these days of high fuel prices, and it's no wonder you feel miniscule on the interstates. In most men it is testosterone (or a small johnson) that rules the need for power and speed, not necessesity. It is also aesthetics that drives alot of decisions to move up to a bigger, faster, and in the view of some, a more stylish motorcycle.

The 16 tooth sprocket does improve driveablity for about $20, but you can tell by Jordan's post that speed is his only concern. As an older guy who has ridden for about 35 years, I have the experience of many motorcycles over many years. I currently own a HD Streetglide to tour on. It's more comfortable over long distances, so I don't tour on the GZ, but I could, and the bike is capable of doing so (ask Easy Rider). But I would not suggest a Streetglide to anyone as a primary bike. It's expensive, heavy, and a real handful in everyday city driving. That's why I own a GZ. I suggest to every GZ owner, that if you want a larger bike, that's great, but keep your GZ because it's an agile daily rider with super gas mileage. I'm not against moving up to a bigger motorcycle, but the need for speed and power alone should not be the only factor for making a change.

We as Americans need to stop the excesses. We don't need bigger bikes, cars, houses or super sized french fries. I'm guilty too, as I said I own a HD, but if it ever came to the point where I had to choose which bike to keep (regulations, taxation, fuel prices, etc.), it would probably be the GZ.

Jordan, I wish you the best, and I hope that you have really mastered the art of motorcycling to the extent that you think you have. But, I think your comments about crashing, need for speed, and your general disatisfaction with your GZ speaks volumes.

As I've said before, It's not what you ride, it is the ride.

Be Safe Brother. My rant is complete.

:sad:
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
davidc83

I also disagree with Jordan. The gz250 is a durable bike. I put 11,000 miles on my gz250 last year from April to October. That is 6 months. These miles included a 1100 mile bike trip and a 2500 mile bike trip. The 2500 mile bike trip was from Indiana to Florida, riding around Florida for 3 days, and riding back; most of the miles back were Interstate traveling at 75mph. I had installed the 16T front sprocket was one of the few who did not like it. I lost 12mph top end speed and commuting to work on the interstate I could not afford to loose that much top end speed. I needed at least 70mph and could not reach it with the 16T front sprocket.

I just sold it to a guy a work; in october I bought a Suzuki C50 and have 13000 miles on it already. I fell in love the the red/black C50 when I first saw it and found one at a price I couldnt turn down ($5800). I still miss the gz250 and kick myself every time I see it in the parking lot. I wish I had kept it. It is fun to ride, easy to manuever and very durable (just change oil and other maintenance when needed).
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan310

Its just not quality, durable, or powerful enough in the reliability and power dept. for long trips. The bike was not designed for that.

4. The 16 tooth sprocket is not needed.
Hey, Jordan, welcome back.......I think.

I see "things" haven't changed much. :roll:

You still have some excellent information to offer but you also seem to still be stuck in the mode where you believe that YOUR experience and opinion is the ONLY one that counts. As a result of that, along with your good information, is some REALLY BAD stuff.

I see Saris beat me to the punch but I haven't read his reply yet; let's see how close we are in agreement.

The GZ 250 is no more or less capable of long trips than any other bike......if you don't try to push it beyond it's limits.

Nobody ever really said that the 16T sprocket was "necessary" but the simple fact is that the VAST majority of those who have tried it love it. A rough count of just those I personally know about is about 15 for and only 2 against (went back).

Your conclusion on heavy modding is valuable input......as are many of your other comments.
I just think it's too bad that you can't seem to differentiate between facts and your opinions..........or maybe it's just the way you present the opinions.

I don't know what it is for sure but I, for one, certainly have a hard time reading your posts without getting upset. :oops:
Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
Jordan310

Then .. I am doing some thing right. Let me respond to some of the things that I as well as many mechanics have come to decide upon and conclude from testing this bike, modding it, doing everything under the sun on it, and putting over 6000 miles on it in the next post.

I do agree with you, I am very opinionated, but it just comes from knowing the ins and outs of this bike from extensive testing, different configs, and stock.
I'm not the end all be all of posing about this bike, so please don't think I'm saying other peoples say don't matter, I'm just going on some of my own experience, joys, and disappointments with the bike.

Let me address some of them quickly.