Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
NonallaNostrum

New Member, New Rider, etc

Hello all, new member here. Name is Rob, live in Florida. 36 (next month) and first time rider/ soon to be owner.

To make a long story short, I do mechanic work with a huge motorcycle enthusiast. He ad his wife used to ride together. His son wanted to take the safety course (req'd in Fl) but didnt want to take it alone. Decided to take it with him- he being semi experienced on 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc. Me, having never been on anything of the sort- and barely proficient with a standard tranny car (cage, right?). Anyway we both passed (even tho I dropped once during class). That was about a year ago.

Friends wife had a few low speed uh-ohs so friend bought her a gz250, "just like the ones in class" that she never had a problem with. Think she rode it once? Anyway became my starter bike when on out weekend breakfast trips. Switched to the sv650 mid ride one day and almost wrecked it pulling air in a corner. Havent been back on it since. Friends wife decided she is 'passenger only' now, so friend is going to sell me the GZ in a month or two when i get the cash up. Standard black, 2009 or 2010, cant remember. Like 1k miles or so.

So, I consider myself a GZ rider, for a while at least. Weekend trips been limited due to work schedules (his), so really only been out 5-10 short trips. Can't wait to own it so I can get back in the saddle. Don't wanna lose what little experience I was gaining. Coming on winter, but in Florida so should be able to ride most of the time. Florida not what you would call hilly.

Anyway long winded hello, been on the site most of the week, reading everything I can. Hve helped the friend with minor customization of his bikes (8 or 9 now i think), just nothing on GZ yet. Mechanically inclined, so prolly wont be asking for help and definitely not experienced enough to chime in about much- so no offense if I stay mostly quiet :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
blaine

Re: New Member, New Rider, etc

Welcome to the family.Ride safe.Make sure you invest in some riding gear. :roll: :cool:

Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
mavrix

Send a message via Yahoo to mavrix

Welcome to the forum NonallaNostrum! I did the same thing at the MSF class... (dropped the bike) At least if you're going to make a mistake do it at the MSF class. :2tup:

Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
NonallaNostrum

Thanks all. Not thst it matters but slighly misspoke above. the GZ is a 2008. Had 800 miles when friend bought it, 1220 now. Nothing customized, oil was changed/ chain cleaned when he got it a year ago. Previous owner put some miles on it and decided he wanted beefier. Transferring title in a few weeks, then more practice

One thing i noted: after reading all week and watching some youtube vids, I think I now know what happened during my class when i dropped it. It all happened so fast wasn't really sure till i saw some videos and stories of lowside crashes. I recall the lesson was over and we were parking the bikes (at an angle) to dismount and learn the next exercise. I'm pretty sure I grabbed a handful of front brake with the wheel turned at an angle. attempting to hold on tighter caused me to roll on more throttle while holding front brake (i fell to my left side). Anywho, was quite embarrasing to be revving the engine while everyone else was dismounting...
But yeah, better there on their bike than elsewhere on mine!!
Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Low speed and the front brake will do it 112% of the time. At speed the wheels act as gyros to keep the bike upright. At low speed in a parking lot the combo of front brake and front end geometry will dump you very easily. Anything under 10 MPH should be a rear brake only until you get a good feel for the bike.
The front brake can be used in a curve to scrub off speed if you go in too hot but be careful and just practice with a light grip on the front brake to gain confidence. This comes in handy if you ever go too fast into a decreasing radius curve and know the rear will lock up and hurt you.
There is a very good explaination of front end geometry in Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Wheel cut and front brake don't mix. It's a sure fire drop. Ride safe.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
greatmaul

Hi and welcome! I'm new to riding too, so I can relate. I've been thinking SV650 or BMW F650 in the future, but I want to experience all the GZ has to offer in terms of riding experience right now.

I was worried about the power, though. From what I read, it sounded like you did a wheelie? That's the kind of thing I'm worried about. Those bikes look awesome, but they also look very dangerous! I'm thinking maybe after a year or so of experience.

Glad you have the mechanical background and the friends with a motorcycle shop! That would be too awesome. Have fun and ride safe.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

The SV 650 is indeed an awesome bike. But keep in mind it is no more dangerous than a GZ. It is rider experience that makes a bike dangerous. Many riders who graduate to a sport bike will take an experienced rider course and do some track days to learn how to ride better with the added capabilities and power of the bike.
Anyone who can push a stock SV to it's limits is a very good rider.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
NonallaNostrum

Just a quick update, thanks to uncle sam time, bike is now paid for and officially mine :rawk:

Had a good ride the other day following my friend thru the only twisty roads in the county... and the next county. Had lunch then back home in time to go to work. Had a good time, course most of the work (road hazards, what line to take thru the corners, etc) was done for me. next time will use the communicators and lead so he can watch what im doing and maybe spot some errors. God, I love florida weather in the winter

See you out and about (figuratively)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Congrats Rob. Glad to hear you got the GZ. It is an awesome 1st bike and will help your learning curve without being an intimidating monster. Was just looking back and no one mentioned some very good reading material to you. Beg, borrow or buy a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is by far the best life insurance you can own. David has written his accummulated experiences and knowledge between the covers for all to learn from. Most rider training courses are based on his writing. Read and practice practice practice. Ride Safe Rob.

Oh yeah...........have you invested in riding gear ??