Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
Agove

Starting issue

I just picked this 07 up today with 1700 miles. The battery was dead, so I pulled a known good battery from both my gsxr, and my sv650 and they both had the same results. When I hit the start button it sounds like the starter is turning, but not turning over the engine. After about a second it slows down and stops like there is a load on it. I pulled the spark plug, put the bike in 5th gear and verified the engine is free and turns over. I’ll try and get a video in the morning. Possible bad starter?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Agove

Here’s a pic of the bike. I really want to get this thing going so I can take it for a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 054FE820-901B-4B9F-A3C5-7911AAD8C7DF.jpg (20.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Agove

I just thought about this. The previous owner said he replaced the stator, and that he had never had the bike running. Could he have put the starter together wrong when installing the stator?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Agove

I pulled the stator cover and it turn over just fine. With the stator cover on it doesn’t. I’m going to attach 2 videos. The first is with the cover on. The 2nd is with it off.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Agove

I got the bike to start and run just fine with only 2 bolts in the cover barley torqued down. Any more than that and it struggles.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
Agove

I think i May have solved my issue. Looking over the way the previous owner installed the cover, he used gasket make and not a real gasket. I think maybe it needs the soacong between to pull the rotor away from the cover.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
Agove

Well, I can tell nobody really gives a damn, but I fixed it. New gasket installed and it cranks right over.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
Vegas Street Rider

Good job on diagnosing the problem. I don't have enough experience with the electrical system to have helped you out. Try not to judge the members by our lack of response as many of us have busy lives and participate when we are able to. Also, keep in mind that many have moved on to other bikes and that this bike has been discontinued for almost a decade. There is lots of great information here to glean in that regard. Please try to be patient when you don't get an immediate response.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Agove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Good job on diagnosing the problem. I don't have enough experience with the electrical system to have helped you out. Try not to judge the members by our lack of response as many of us have busy lives and participate when we are able to. Also, keep in mind that many have moved on to other bikes and that this bike has been discontinued for almost a decade. There is lots of great information here to glean in that regard. Please try to be patient when you don't get an immediate response.
I guess I kind of came off like a jerk there. That’s not how I meant it. I definitely understand people moving onto other bikes especially when these are so old. Hopefully I’ll have it off the lift today and get to putt around the block a little bit.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
wacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Vegas - I have to agree. I have my GZ250 for few years. Its simple, reliable bike, but it also gets neglected and abused - since it is typically used by novice riders. Many get quickly discarded when users upgrading. Many sit for years in garages when all they need is fresh fuel and battery. I had larger bikes before, but downgraded missing lightness and simplicity of smaller motorcycle. I go to the forum maybe once every two weeks and try to help - so seeing complain after just two days of waiting - bit excessive. I understand working on new (to you), not running bike can be frustrating, but fixing it yourself eventually that much gratifying.

Agove - do not get discouraged - read what is available here - watch few YouTube videos, keep your bike happy and enjoy safe riding.

Last edited by wacio; 09-22-2019 at 06:52 PM.