Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Old School

New Engine...What if.

What if I need a new or rebuilt engine, where would I find one and what can I expect to pay? Unless there is something to flush out metal shavings out of the thing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: New Engine...What if.

ebay or Craigs list for a used engine in good shape. Do you think you have metal shavings in the cases?? Are you just curious ?? There is a plate on the bottom of the engine that the drain plug screws into. 3 bolts and off it will come. Do an inspection with a small mirror ?? Oh, just had a thought. I think the oil drain plug is magnetic. That would tell you real quick.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
ebay or Craigs list for a used engine in good shape. Do you think you have metal shavings in the cases?? Are you just curious ?? There is a plate on the bottom of the engine that the drain plug screws into. 3 bolts and off it will come. Do an inspection with a small mirror ?? Oh, just had a thought. I think the oil drain plug is magnetic. That would tell you real quick.
Re:Stalling issues.
Quote:Today I replaced the plug, had to re-tap for it:

Just to bring everyone up to speed ,I gave him a worse case senareo on his problem.In his original post,he stated that he had cross threaded the plug & had to retap the threads.Now his problem is a grinding noise that gets worse as the bike gets warm until it stalls.He leaves it for 20 mins,and she starts again.He has already drained the oil & no sign of any metal shavings.
:cool:

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Old School

Thanks Blaine,
Drained the oil, no signs of metal. I'm at a loss right now. I know when I pulled the tap out it was covered in shavings, so it is ver possible that I lost a few.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Thanks Blaine,
Drained the oil, no signs of metal. I'm at a loss right now. I know when I pulled the tap out it was covered in shavings, so it is ver possible that I lost a few.
I'm thinking that there are metal shavings between the rings & cylinder wall that haven't made their way down into the oil yet.What do you guys think?
:cool:

Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Old School

Okay Blaine, I can understand the possibility of that. What do I have to do to get them to move down. Is there some kind of flush or diss assembly required? I hope to have not damaged the engine to much yet. Like said, shavings would be a sure sign, but it has not ran much since the tap. Only probly 5-6 times, in intervals of 30 seconds all the way up to 3 minutes. Then I either kill it or it kills itself. I am so grateful to you guys who are willing to share your thoughts. Some of you have probly been doing this stuff since before I was born.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Okay Blaine, I can understand the possibility of that. What do I have to do to get them to move down. Is there some kind of flush or diss assembly required? I hope to have not damaged the engine to much yet. Like said, shavings would be a sure sign, but it has not ran much since the tap. Only probly 5-6 times, in intervals of 30 seconds all the way up to 3 minutes. Then I either kill it or it kills itself. I am so grateful to you guys who are willing to share your thoughts. Some of you have probly been doing this stuff since before I was born.
If you think the case,Than the head should be removed for inspection.If you catch it in time you may get away with a cylinder honing & new gaskets.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
mrlmd1

Is there any way to pull the plug out again and flush out the cylinder with oil and see what's in there or 'till it comes out clean, or will that get it into or through open valves and make a bigger mess?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Is there any way to pull the plug out again and flush out the cylinder with oil and see what's in there or 'till it comes out clean, or will that get it into or through open valves and make a bigger mess?
Bottom line is,you will never get all the shavings out without a tear down.Especially since the engine has been started and the shavings moved around.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Old School

Who can I get to do a tear down?