Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Chris

Easy push start for the GZ250

Occasionally your battery will go dead. You may need a new battery or it may simply may need recharging. Riding for an hour will do this. Leaving a battery discharged will end its life. Besides, even in the winter, your bike needs to run just a bit. Never let it sit for a long time. Just take it out for a short run around the neighborhood and that will keep your bike fresh and it will last forever.
So...to push start the bike: first, don't "push" start the bike. Just find an easy hill to go down. Turn on the bike, flip on the "On" switch and put it in third gear. People try to put it in first, but this is hard on the bike and the rider. The engine only has to turn a time or two to catch so third gear will make it far easier.
Pull in the clutch and gently roll down the hill. Let the clutch out and the engine should fire immediately. Pull in the clutch and you are good to go. Ride for an hour to charge the battery or, if old, just replace the battery.

Chris in Atlanta

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Easy push start for the GZ250

Your post inspired me to try to push start mine again (see earlier threads re Corona Motorsports, leaving taillight on, etc.) I wanted to see (prove?) if it was just as easy in first gear. I tried three times to duplicate my previous success, but wasn't able to. I did move it up to second for the third try, but I lost interest after three outs and just pushed the starter button.

So I guess it's not as easy as I thought. My success earlier might just have been beginner's luck. Or maybe, not having any options made me focus a little more on getting the job done.

I might give it another whirl tomorrow, this time in third as you recommended. It's definitely a skill worth learning. It seems like the charging system marginal and the battery is definitely vulnerable to human error.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Chris

Let me get this straight:
I said to "push" start it in 3rd, but you tried and tried to "push" start it, but not in 3rd????
Don't "Push" start it, let it gently roll down a hill. First put it in 3rd (that is third), and pull in the clutch. Once rolling let out the clutch and it will start immediately (ignition, etc. is on, right?). Pull in the clutch and you will be good to go.
Why would you leave the taillight on long enough to kill the battery??

Chris in Atlanta

Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
It wasn't on purpose. Don't get the wrong idea.

He MAY be in California, but he's not stup.....never mind. :whistle:
Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Sarris

Quote:
High dumb ass quotient??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:

Chris in Atlanta
Ok, so you missed the part where he got lucky ONCE and made it work with the bike in FIRST gear. That was before your arrived.

And the part about the tail light....it's because he is stu.....oops, it's because that dumb ignition switch has this extra position that isn't labeled and isn't mentioned in the owner's manual...... :neener: (Hi, Alan!)
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
I said to "push" start it in 3rd, but you tried and tried to "push" start it, but not in 3rd????
Don't "Push" start it, let it gently roll down a hill. First put it in 3rd (that is third), and pull in the clutch. Once rolling let out the clutch and it will start immediately (ignition, etc. is on, right?). Pull in the clutch and you will be good to go.

Chris in Atlanta
I love shit that starts with "let me get this straight..."

You are new here, but the regulars know I'm a bit of a dumbass. I was trying to prove you wrong because I started mine up the other day in my driveway, with about a 12 foot roll, in first, on the second try. It was super easy! Except, it wasn't so easy this time. I tried again in second just a little while ago (for some reason, I'm having trouble upshifting to third with the bike off) It almost caught, but no go. I'll work on the third gear start - I'm very interested in mastering this trick.

I posted the whole taillight story. Apparently I am not the only dumbass on the forum. There were quite a few that were not aware of the key setting that leaves only the taillight on.

I shoulda just trusted your experience, but I thought I knew something you didn't. I was wrong. I do appreciate the info though. The only reason I knew it could be done at all was cause someone else posted it earlier.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
RichInFla

Well, I can tell you that I managed to push start in 1st. After 2 weeks at the shop waiting for tires, it started when I picked it up, but the mechanic said he was like "come on" when starting it to drive it out. At a light, I managed to stall (of course, newbie thing). Pressing the "start" button did nothing. I did manage to get into a left turn lane and "ran" the bike left before the arrow turned yellow (not bad for over 40 !!). I then proceeded to run down the side street with it in 1st, popped the clutch, and it started (took me two times though).

At first, I was thinking, oh crap, gotta get my neighbor out here with his ramp and truck to tote me back home, but after the second time when it fired, I was like, "woo hoo, I'm outta here". Needless to say I charged the batttery, but I learned...."push starting is a beautiful thing !!

And we don't have hills here on the east coast of Florida. I should have taken video, you all would have gotten a great laugh !!

Luckily, I learned about the tailight thing when I put her in the garage a couple days ago and the taillight was still on. Kind of looked down at the key and said, okay idiot, it's on "parking". Moved the key back to lock and the light went off. duh...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
Well, I can tell you that I managed to push start in 1st.
Well yes but the fact that you did it once doesn't mean, like Alan found, that it will work the next time.

It is much better to try it in 3rd if you can get it there and 2nd if you can't but having it work in first is more luck than anything........and more likely to put you BOTH on the ground too.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Well yes but the fact that you did it once doesn't mean, like Alan found, that it will work the next time.

It is much better to try it in 3rd if you can get it there and 2nd if you can't but having it work in first is more luck than anything........and more likely to put you BOTH on the ground too.
This was actually the second time I did it, my HD driving neighbor pushed the last time. So, I guess I'm lucky twice. However, heeding the advice of my elders, will probably try in 3rd or 2nd next time !!