Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 10-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
alantf

Re: Is there a 'How To' for an inline fuel filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Call me overcautious.
"You're overcautious" :crackup (I assume that was an order) :crackup (Hope you understand English humour )

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:

No, because I wouldn't buy a universal oil filter. I buy the suzuki oil filter so that I know it's right. That's my MO as when I used to mess with things like this, they sometimes blew up in my face.

I would like to put a fuel filter on this but without some kind a data showing what I'm doing is correct, I won't. Call me overcautious.
Mr. Overcautious,
I assume you mean fuel filter and not oil filter.

But as far as data goes regarding the gas flow rate of the GZ250 carb/engine, here's a little bit:

-100% of the people who use a fuel filter on their bike did not ask about flow rates of the filter. There have been 0% posts about a fuel filter not flowing enough gas to the engine, unless the master mechanic failed to notice the arrow dictating flow direction and installed the thing in reverse.

I would attempt to try and manually figure out the flow rate of the Gz carb, but I don't have the fluid capacity of the float bowl on hand and I can't seem to find it online. Even at 100% capacity though, the vacuum of the engine is what draws fuel from the tank, down the line, and into the carb. Unless the filtering media was a block of wood, the vacuum created will suck as much gas as needed, metered by the float. And since the filtering media is not a block of wood, but little more than a porous fiber material, I see no possible way that it could be seen as a restriction.

Another tidbit, 100% of the bikes sold at my local Honda dealership have the exact same fuel filter installed... a universal one. And I highly doubt the flow rate of those bikes are the same.

I also had this very same fuel filter installed on my GZ and it worked without a problem. (There's some more data.) :neener:
If you were to walk into any motorcycle dealership in the world and ask for an inline fuel filter, they will probably hand you what I have pictured above and could care less about what bike you have because it doesn't matter.

Remember, unlike cars, we are not dealing with a pressurized fuel system. Fuel flow is simply a drain from the bottom of the tank + engine vacuum to suck it faster when needed. :cool:

Conclusion: Don't over-think it, man. Without a fuel filter, the only think keeping gunk and debris out of your carb is a lousy mesh screen sticking up from the petcock into the tank. It's good enough to keep out leaves and frogs, but the tiny stuff that causes carb blockages gets past that screen. A fuel filter is $3 maintenance that lasts anywhere from 5,000 - 10,000 miles. Flow rates don't matter.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
blaine

I have used that same filter on every bike and small engine that i owned.I have never had a fuel flow problem with any of them.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
Gz Rider

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
Gz Rider

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I would attempt to try and manually figure out the flow rate of the Gz carb, but I don't have the fluid capacity of the float bowl on hand and I can't seem to find it online.
Imagine you drive 70 miles per hour on a bike that uses one gallon for 70 miles... could it be that the flow rate is then... one gallon per hour?

One gallon being 231 cubic inches, the fluid velocity in the hose, assuming it is ¼" diameter, is the flow rate divided by the area of the hose:
231/(?·¼·¼/4) = almost 4706 inches per hour, which is about 6.5 feet per minute, or a breathtaking 1.31 inches per second, or 0.074 mph.

When you drive slower, the flow rate becomes less than one gallon per hour.

Thus, here is the rule of thumb: In 5th gear, the velocity of the fuel in the hose is about one thousand times slower than the bike. :2tup:
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #27
blaine

I prefer not to over think.It flows plenty. :poke2: :roll:

Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #28
Gz Rider

Old 10-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #29
Gz Rider

Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
I prefer not to over think.It flows plenty. :poke2: :roll:
I question everything. Well, not everything but at least more than average.
I'm still questioning my decision to get married to my 1st wife. If the good die young she is immortal.