Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
handlebar risers

i was just looking at this thread: http://gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

like the second poster said, those risers look pretty good.

this is the part where you all either say "go ahead do it" or "be careful, risers are actually highly radioactive and you should probably do more research" or something to that effect.

is this a bad idea? how high is too high, as in, how high of a riser could i put on before needing new cables?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you're just getting a lowered handlebar, then go ahead and do it.

My side note, from the photo of you in Mugshots, you look about my size. My only concern would be the unnatural position of being leaned over your knees and how comfortable that would be. I think a 3 inch to 5 inch rise would be a nice middle ground while still making the bike look leaner from afar.

The stock bar has a 7 inch rise. For an example of a 5 inch rise, see Patrick's bike below:
The photo that Dupo posted in that link are of 2 inch rise bars. So, take your pick and let us know how it turns out:

Old 06-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: handlebar risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
how high is too high, as in, how high of a riser could i put on before needing new cables?
Like J said, you will be lucky to get 2" without finding one of the cables stretched or pinched.
SO......it's probably not a practical thing to do unless you are also changing to drag bars at the same time.

If you're thinking about a windshield later (or already have one), take that into consideration when plannng a bar change.
Mounting a shield on the little beast is tricky enough with the stock setup; might be even worse with different bars.

PS. You can make the stock bars "higher" by rotating them at the mount point.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
JIBTEXHNKA

hm.

i do have a windshield, and i hadn't though of that.

i'm about 6' tall

i have been considering drag bars, but i want to sit on a bike with them before making any decisions. i know they LOOK cool, but if it's gonna make me sit in an awkward position than no thank you.

question: when i go to a shop and see a bunch of disembodied handlebars sitting on shelves, it just confuses me. i can't really picture how any given bar would look like on the bike.

also, i've heard a few people say that it's not quite as easy as just unbolting everything and switching out the bar and putting everything back on.... what kind of difficulties might arise?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You'll have two options when it comes to the grips. You can cut them off and get new ones, probably the easiest, or you can work them off and try re-installing them. On second thought, just cut them off and get new ones. One option.

The only thin that is tricky, if you think ahead, is getting the throttle on and off.
Everything else can just be loosened, slid off of the old bars, and then slid back onto the new bars. Don't take the bolts all the way out. You just want all of the controls loose enough to slide.

As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about this for some time now. There is enough slack in all of the cables on the handlebars that you should be able to unbolt the HANDLEBARS, controls attached, and lay them on the headlight housing while you try out different bars in the parking lot, if you have a store that will let you do that. Then, you can pick the one that you like and take it home and install it.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
JIBTEXHNKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
You'll have two options when it comes to the grips. You can cut them off and get new ones, probably the easiest, or you can work them off and try re-installing them. On second thought, just cut them off and get new ones. One option.

The only thin that is tricky, if you think ahead, is getting the throttle on and off.
Everything else can just be loosened, slid off of the old bars, and then slid back onto the new bars. Don't take the bolts all the way out. You just want all of the controls loose enough to slide.

As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about this for some time now. There is enough slack in all of the cables on the handlebars that you should be able to unbolt the HANDLEBARS, controls attached, and lay them on the headlight housing while you try out different bars in the parking lot, if you have a store that will let you do that. Then, you can pick the one that you like and take it home and install it.

that's borderline genius...

i'm doing it tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Let us know how it goes and give us some photos of your new bars.

Good luck,
Jonathan
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #8
JIBTEXHNKA

ok ok, "tomorrow" means in the near future. but i do plan on it and i will take pictures.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
"borderline" ????
How dare you! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
JIBTEXHNKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
"borderline" ????
How dare you! :lol: :lol:

all right, all right... that was epic. that was a huge step for geniosity. monuments shall be erected in your honor (jonathan's, not yours, easy)!

or if you mean it the other way...

that idea was stupid. nobody will ever do that it's waste of time. who has tools in parking lots? psh, not cool people