Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Sarris

Re: moved up today

My HD doesn't vibrate at road speed at all. Most vibration in the TC88 & TC96 motors is at an idle. And you are right that modded motors (bored, stroked, cammed, etc.) will beat you to death. I've had probably 30 or more bikes over the years (including some modded HD's) and my 2006 has been the best. The Twin Cam 88 ci motor (2006 was the last year) is purported to be the best recent HD motor made and I have left it pretty much stock only adding the K&N air filter kit, Screamin' Beagle ignition module, and Vance & Hines true dual exhaust. Mine makes about 90hp and 105 lb/ft of torque. More than enough.

I never really considered myself much of a Glide type of guy (kinda an old fart bike) but you damn sure get used to the fairing, full guages, cruise control, and AM/FM/CD/MP3 player very quickly. If you try one out, the first thing you notice is, you feel as though the m/c is painted on your ass. You don't sit on it, you sit in it. It feels wired directly to you. I have never been as comfortable riding a scoot as when I'm on my StreetGlide. It's definately changed my mind about HD. I have racked up about 36K miles since purchased new in August 2006.

I will tell you that getting a really smooth motor is kinda hit and miss. My pal has a 2007 StreetGlide TC96 w/ a 6 speed trans. and it is a miserable piece-o-shit. His motor vibrates at road speed so badly the mirrors blur, and in 5th gear (your around town gear), the new 6 speed transmission whines like a whore in church. So...... I guess you should always test drive before you buy.

If they won't let you, :fu: them, and go someplace else. I'll never buy another bike without a test drive, period!

Don't let the banter from the know-it-all Harley haters (most are pissed off that they don't have the money to buy one) influence your decision. All I ask from people is try one. You'll be hooked.

:skull: :skull:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

I followed another Harley into work today and watched the mirrors - this one was moving at about 50 - and it looked very smooth compared to the one the other day. I don't know the Harley models that well - this one had the very horizontally cut front fender with the chrome writing on it (perhaps that describes all of em?) The one I saw earlier this week probably was modded. And I was watching it at idle.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
GZ250

"comfortably" - I mean the power in engine. yes I do go upto 65mph but thats the upper limit and if there is slight wind, i can feel that its enough for GZ. Obviously if the engine is small it wil make more noise at high speeds but that is a different issue. At 50-55mph there is enough power to pass someone and the ride is smooth. I like driving at that. That is why I asked about "comfy drive"

I assume V-twin and probably any 650cc can go 80mph for interstate rides (when two on the bike) and still has power left.

Login or Register to Remove Ads