Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
goneoutflying

Re: Spark plug and oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Plus, you gotta get rid of the oil. Not sure about you guys, but out here changing your own oil often means a trip to the household hazardous waste facility, (often found at oil change places.) Some cities will pick it up with the recycling.

Overall, a lot of hassle for the thrill of doing it yourself.
Most auto parts stores will take used oil. I know Auto Zone does, that is where I take mine. If you don't have an Auto Zone near you I would call around to local auto parts stores, they often do this to make changing you oil easier, so they can get more business.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Plus, you gotta get rid of the oil.
Not a problem IF you have one vehicle in the family that goes to "the shop" for it's oil changes.
You just take the extra used oil with you and they dump it in their tank. Problem solved.
Might call ahead to be sure they do that but most places will.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
OEM oil filter from my local Suzuki dealer cost me $5.50 (or there abouts).
At my local dealer:
oil filter $5.39
o-ring $1.39
o-ring $3.79
tax $0.63
total $11.20

Add oil, and changing the motorcycle's engine oil myself costs almost as much as having the garage change oil and filter for my car...
Two o-rings? For what? Heck, even though the manual says (sorta) that you are supposed to use a new o-ring for the oil filter cap, I didn't and I haven't had a problem. If its brittle and about to fall apart you should probably change it, otherwise I don't see the point.

So, it costs me $25 every 6,000 miles for an oil change. Two quarts of Shell Rotella-T synthetic are $10, times two, plus the cost of a filter every 6,000 miles. I can't even begin to imagine what a local shop would charge for the same quality oil... probably $50. I'll change my own oil, thank ya very much.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #14
alanmcorcoran

What's your time worth?

I'd consider changing mine myself if I didn't already have to go to the dealer to get an oil filter and oil and then make another trip to deliver back the used oil (hopefully without spilling it all over the garage and/or the car trunk) and then you have to have an oil pan and a funnel and a jug or something to put it in and hopefully you don't screw up the filter or strip the threads and yada, yada, yada. I don't know what they charge to change the oil at the dealer, but I think it's pretty much a lock I'll leave it in their hands. Especially if they can do it while I wait.

Now, if I enjoyed changing oil and loosening and tightening things, and wiping my oil soaked hands on a filthy rag, well, that'd be different.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Now, if I enjoyed changing oil and loosening and tightening things, and wiping my oil soaked hands on a filthy rag, well, that'd be different.
Some folks don't like to RIDE either !! :roll: :biggrin:

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You know they make latex or nitrile gloves, right? :tongue:

California is a different beast, but I've never been into an autoparts store that did not have an oil recycling tank in the back.

Let's break this down.

Having your oil changed at the shop:
-About $45; and you have to wait around or come back later.
Did they really do it? I hope so.

Changing your own oil:
-2 quarts of oil (This varies based on what oil you use but let's say it's $12. That's good expensive oil)
-1 oil filter ($6)
-Oil drain pan (Cheapest with lid is around $8 @ Wal-Mart)
-1 pack of disposable gloves ($2)
-1 funnel ($1)
-15 minutes (Who doesn't have 15 minutes to spare?)
TOTAL COST - $29 + a drive to the store to purchase this stuff.

Even if you buy oil and filters in bulk, it's only gonna be somewhere around:
-1 case of premium synthetic oil (6qts) = $34
-3 or 4 oil filters = Maybe $21 including shipping
The funnel and drain pan can be used indefinitely. You'll eventually have to replace the package of gloves. +$2 every year or so.
TOTAL COST FOR A YEAR+ WORTH OF OIL CHANGES: $66
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Let's break this down.
OK, and the point of this detailed listing IS..??? :??:

I don't think anybody disputes that you can save a few bucks by doing it yourself AND that it is a fairly simple proceedure that almost anybody can master.....(but some folks seem to be able to frack it up anyway).

I usually change my own oil and adjust/oil the chain but that's it; anything else and it goes to the shop. Why? Because I don't want to be bothered and I can easily afford the extra few bucks.

Different strokes and all that.......... :cool:
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I believe Mr. Mcorcoran (I'm assuming this is your last name, man.) was making the case that changing one's own oil was not worth the difference in time & money from taking it to a shop.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I can easily afford the extra few bucks.
We can't all be like MoneyBags McEasyRider. :neener:
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Mr. N180iq,

If I did all the jobs around the house that only take 15 minutes, I would spend my whole life doing stuff I loathe doing. I guess by the semi third world standards that seem to apply to finances on here, I, too, am Mr. Moneybags (hell, I might even be Mr. Moneysacks or Mr. Moneyvan) but I spend most of my time either doing what I have to do or doing stuff that entertains me. At some point changing oil might be one of them, but so far, changing oil doesn't sound very entertaining.

Your analysis indicating the entire process, including the trips to buy and get rid of the oil, coming in at a total of 15 mins, seems a tad on the biased side. My nearest Suzuki dealer is at least 30 mins in one direction, making two trips there 2 hours min, not to mention doing the actual oil change. Of course, that would bump the time involved in the dealer approach as well, the main argument in favor of doing it oneself.

In any event, many of you are avid do it yourselfers and a few of us are not. I got no problem with the do-it-yourself approach, and I truly appreciate the generosity of those sharing their knowledge on how to do it properly.

I do get a little irritated when it's presented as if it is the superior (or "smarter") approach. For many of us, it's not. I don't mow my own lawn, I don't fix my own toilets and I don't hang my own Christmas lights either. Does that make me an idiot?

On this forum, probably. But trust me, it's not because I don't know how or can't figure out how to do these things. I just don't like to mow, plumb or climb ladders and am fortunate, at least for the time being, to have the option of not doing so.